Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > enhanced cd stops

enhanced cd stops
jgates
May 12, 2000, 10:41 AM

I'm sure you've had this happen. You're enjoying a cd while working and you either open another document or go back to the desktop or SOMETHING, and the enhanced CD stops. I understand that it has to do with the Mac trying to update the desktop file, but my question is, is there anything I can do about STOPPING that from happening? Is there an extension or control panel or some other setting that I can change to stop it? It's a major irritation.

harvardtgr
May 15, 2000, 11:35 AM

Using the Software Update panel download Multimedia Update 1.0 . It fixed my problem

apreston
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2000, 05:21 PM

A second method of fixing the problem is available under OS 9, which loads enhanced CDs as two disks on the desktop - one audio and one data. Just 'eject' the data portion and the interruptions will stop. The CD remains in the drive because the audio portion is still mounted.

The interruptions are caused by the Mac OS's need to check that all the disks shown mounted on the desktop are still there. To check the data portion of the enhanced CD, it has to move the read head of the drive away from the music portion of the disc, and doesn't put it back after making the check.

Andrew.

jgates
May 17, 2000, 10:23 AM

Didn't system 7.5 do that with making two desktop images so you could trash the data portion and keep the music side? Then, OS8.6 is a step backwards in this respect.

Oh how I wish there was another alternative to MACOS and Winbloz. Something that wouldn't crash. I doubt it's possible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules