Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Not impressed AT ALL by new G5s!

Not impressed AT ALL by new G5s! (Page 3)
webraider
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 11:07 AM

I do have an upgraded Sawtooth which I am quite happy with and now I know that I will probably get another 2-3 years out of it If I choose. That being said. if the funds were available I would love to get a new G5. It's certainly fast enough for me. It just seems to me that computers are changing so fast It's nice to see a little break where we can just breath air and enjoy what we have. The future of operating systems is so different than what we know now does this really make a difference in the long run of computer developement? A Power Mac will do for you what it needs to do right? I for one am really happy to see Dual Layer Writers becoming standard on the Mac. I would hope that in the future Apple will be quicker to embrace the current standard instead of leaving it off in hopes to adopt a future standard that's not developed yet. Now if they'll just natively support mpeg 2 in their i-apps we'll be doing good.

I would also like to see Disk Utility improved. It's not a very intutitive program as I would like to see it's features integrated into the finder more. I think we should be able to erase a CDR, RW DVD R, RW etc... from the finder. We should be able to copy the image from the finder etc... In other words.. I would like to see using a mountable writbale optical media work more like floppies would. We are close to that but no cigar just yet. Just my 2 cents..

P
May 2, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Original Power Mac G4: 500 MHz -> 450 MHz. A difference of -50 MHz, or -10%.

-10% is far less than 8%. 225% less, in fact.
The 500 MHz was never released as such until later, so it's not really the same thing. You could compare the 450 MHz G4 that was actually released to the CPU that preceded it, the 450 MHz G3, or the 350 MHz 604er to the 266 or 300 MHz G3 that replaced it and say that it's a negative bump, but those were very different processors.

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2005, 02:42 PM

One thing to take note of since DDR2 keeps getting thrown into this conversation.... is that can the G5 even support DDR2? Currently AMD's 64-bit chips (64s and FXs) only support DDR. That's right, DDR is hard coded in the CPU itself, and I'm sure would be a large undertaking to overcome that (however I'm sure AMD knows what they are doing, and has plans for this). So what's the scoop on the G5 then?

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2005, 11:38 PM

Wow. Whinier than iBook people. I'm so out of the tech loop. PCIe, DDR2�

I guess the answer is to have lots and lots of models, like before�
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Forum Links
Forum Rules