Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Stay Classy, PA: Voter Suppression 2012, 2013, 2014... and so on.

Stay Classy, PA: Voter Suppression 2012, 2013, 2014... and so on. (Page 26)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I wouldn't. Those pollsters ask a lot of questions (specifically to flesh-out the voting demographics), much more than the election officials themselves, and most illegals prefer to fly under the radar, for obvious reasons. Phone polls don't work well with them either, they change phone numbers much more frequently than anyone else, since they migrate around the country for agricultural and other seasonal work.
A good point.

The illegal immigrants I know aren't migrants, have fake SSNs, pay taxes, etc.

They don't necessarily like to draw attention to themselves, but are ultimately pretty facile when it comes to lying about being a citizen.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2017, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Nope. Polls had a Dem +6 - +8 correction built into them ("wow factor"), the same as they did for Obama in both of his wins. The problem was, Clinton wasn't liked nearly as much as Obama. She couldn't fill a movie theater with her supporters, while Trump was filling 80k seat stadiums. Despite his stupidity, he created buzz and excitement, while comparatively she was exciting as a visit from grandma.
Next you'll be telling me Trump had the yugest inauguration crowd of all time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 11, 2017, 06:54 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2017, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Next you'll be telling me Trump had the yugest inauguration crowd of all time.
As usual, you're a day late and a $ short.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2017, 02:56 PM

MA state workers busted selling IDs that were later used to vote in Boson area

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/20...d-voter-fraud/
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2017, 03:12 PM

Pssst...

Requiring IDs to vote doesn't fix this problem.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 8, 2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Pssst...

Requiring IDs to vote doesn't fix this problem.
lol

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2017, 11:41 AM

It's long been past the point where the denials by our good friends on the right have any semblance of credibility.

On Tuesday, hours after President Donald Trump refused to blame white nationalists for the violence in Charlottesville, a federal court ruled that congressional districts drawn by Texas Republicans after the 2010 election were enacted with “racially discriminatory intent” against Latino and African American voters.

This is the seventh time since 2011 that a federal court has found that Texas intentionally discriminated against minority voters, through its redistricting plans and strict voter ID law. This repeated finding of intentional discrimination means that federal courts could once again require Texas to clear any changes to voting laws or procedures with the federal government—a requirement that was in place until the Supreme Court struck down part of the Voting Rights Act in 2013.
Texas Republicans Intentionally Discriminated Against Minority Voters, Court Rules

OAW

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
It's long been past the point where the denials by our good friends on the right have any semblance of credibility.

Texas Republicans Intentionally Discriminated Against Minority Voters, Court Rules

OAW

Given the American love of democracy, I don't understand why this isn't:

1) a much bigger deal.

2) a crime.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2017, 06:52 PM

Well, we got some estimates of the damage done by voter ID in Wisconsin.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/p...ays/702026001/
A study released Monday estimates 16,800 or more people in Dane and Milwaukee counties were deterred from casting ballots in November because of Wisconsin's voter ID law.

The study by University of Wisconsin-Madison political scientist Ken Mayer concluded 16,800 to 23,250 voters in the two counties — the Democratic strongholds of Wisconsin — did not vote because of the voter ID law.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2018, 09:49 PM

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ymander-274624
A three-judge panel on Tuesday struck down North Carolina’s congressional map as an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander, giving the state legislature only two weeks to adopt a new map and potentially throwing this year's elections into chaos.

In a unanimous decision, the panel said that if the General Assembly fails to enact a new map by Jan. 24, a special master will be appointed to draw the districts.

If the decision stands, it would be the second time the state was forced to redraw its congressional map this decade. The last redraw was in 2016, after a previous version was ruled unconstitutional for illegally using race to draw two seats.

But in this new decision, the panel ruled that the remedial map violated the equal protection clause when GOP legislative leaders drew the maps with an explicit conservative bias in an effort to favor Republican candidates. "Rather than seeking to advance any democratic or constitutional interest, the state legislator responsible for drawing the 2016 Plan said he drew the map to advantage Republican candidates because he 'think[s] electing Republicans is better than electing Democrats,'" Circuit Court Judge James Wynn wrote in the ruling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules