Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Women, Gay, & Transgender Rights: A Thread of Religious Freedom and Bathroom Safety

Women, Gay, & Transgender Rights: A Thread of Religious Freedom and Bathroom Safety (Page 8)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 14, 2016, 04:05 PM

ACC pulling out of NC.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2016, 01:05 AM

The Championship game, not the entire conference. Also, those championships are "historically bad" and a money loss, anyway. One of those things that you're expected to host when it's your turn, but rarely make back your investment.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2016, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Also, those championships are "historically bad" and a money loss, anyway. One of those things that you're expected to host when it's your turn, but rarely make back your investment.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2016, 12:27 AM

Governor’s office: HB2 repeal possible if Charlotte drops LGBT ordinance first | The Charlotte Observer
Gov. Pat McCrory could call lawmakers into session as soon as next week to repeal House Bill 2 – but only if the Charlotte City Council first drops the ordinance that prompted it, his office confirmed Friday.

Pat McCrory's staff planted fake questions from reporters to avoid talking about HB2 - Business Insider
At a lunch event at the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club in Charlotte last week, McCrory's staff planted "softball" questions from fake reporters about unrelated topics, according to The Charlotte Observer.

The moderator of the event introduced the questions as coming from The Observer, however they had all been written by McCrory's staff, the Observer found.

When an actual Observer reporter attempted to ask a question, McCrory shut it down:

"We’ve got three Observer questions answered already. I think you guys dominate the news enough," he said.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2016, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That's meme is reserved for the Hillary campaign this year, sorry. I'm not saying they're right, there are far better measures to take that are inclusive, I simply haven't seen a repercussion that's actually punitive, yet.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2016, 04:12 PM

More slippry slope that will never happen stuff.
Shocking New Law Takes Effect in Massachusetts |Blogs | NCRegister.com

On Saturday, a Massachusetts law that could throw pastors in jail for using biologically correct pronouns took effect.

But you wouldn’t know that from The Associated Press’ article on the matter. Quoting in part:

Advocates for transgender people in Massachusetts say they can no longer be legally discriminated against in public places.

A new law taking effect on Saturday bars discrimination on the basis of gender identity in public accommodations. Among other things, the statute allows transgender people to use bathrooms and locker rooms that correspond to their gender identity.

The Democratic-controlled Legislature approved the bill after several years of debate. Republican Gov. Charlie Baker signed it into law in July.

Mason Dunn, co-chair of Freedom Massachusetts, a group that advocated for the new law, said Saturday that the protections represent a “shining moment” in Massachusetts’ legacy as an ‘inclusive, welcoming place.’

The group says Massachusetts is the 18th state to provide similar protections for transgender people.

So far, bad but not awful – a law that throws tolerance out the window in favor of state-sanctioned discrimination against business owners who disagree with the government on bathrooms and locker rooms being properly segregated by sex.

Reality is far worse, however. “Guidance” from the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) outlines the real truth. Employment, housing, bathrooms, and locker rooms for “public accommodations” are now open to anyone claiming to be the opposite of their biological sex – even if there is no proof of such, in most circumstances.

Additionally, using wrong pronouns is punishable. Including for churches. From the “guidance”:

Even a church could be seen as a place of public accommodation if it holds a secular event, such as a spaghetti supper, that is open to the general public.”

And in a footnote:

Violation of the law shall be punished by a fine of not more than twenty-five hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both…. In addition, the violator shall be liable to the aggrieved person for damages.”

I’m not spitballing here. One of the MCAD commissioners acknowledged the threat against pastors in comment to Fox News’ Todd Starnes:

I reached out to the Mass. Commission Against Discrimination and they told me Commissioner Sunila Thomas George said there’s really no need for alarm. “By and large, places of worship are not held to the Massachusetts Anti-Discrimination statutes that deal with places of public accommodation,” she said. “We are not by any means saying that the anti-discrimination laws absolutely apply to them.”

Washington Post legal analyst Eugene Volokh has more, outlining how the law could threaten pastors if parishioners say biologically accurate things.

Remember the good old days, when LGBT activists wanted “tolerance?” That’s so 2007. In 2016, holding to biological truths in America can get you jailed – religious liberty, freedom of speech, and common sense notwithstanding.

It looks like Cardinal George’s prediction is coming true. Here’s praying that the Massachusetts Family Association, which told me it might have enough signatures to get a ballot question in front of voters in November, can overturn this atrocious law.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2016, 06:21 PM

I'll drop this right here:

Yeah, this is getting a little out of hand.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2017, 01:14 PM

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/1...han-a-man.html
"Republican Men Say It’s a Better Time to Be a Woman Than a Man"

*lights the andi signal*

andi*pandi
Jan 18, 2017, 01:40 PM

Ah, Republican men feeling threatened by women's rise in stature... or maybe just clueless? Current internet vogue leads me to believe the correct thing to say right now is "suck it up, buttercup?" or, perhaps, "all the republican men feeling threatened should go to their safe snowflake spaces?"

But I feel like a jerk saying that. Especially when, as the rest of the survey respondents said, it really isn't better to be a woman, yet. It's not even close to equal. There's a discord here, and these republican men need to actually talk to the women in their lives and discuss their experiences.

Interesting this bit, glad to read it:

Ninety percent of the respondents and 86 percent of Republicans supported the idea that the next president and Congress should work on equal pay laws. Eight-nine percent of respondents supported policies improving access to high-quality, affordable child care, and 87 percent supported paid family and medical leave.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2017, 02:17 PM

Maybe someday there will be equality in prosecution and sentencing, that'll help a lot.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2017, 12:14 AM

Boy Scouts of America to Admit Transgender Boys (!)

Not exactly the kind of news one expects these days.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2017, 12:08 PM

Because their focus has always been on the children, not adults.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2017, 08:50 PM

Governor of Texas rips NFL over Super Bowl threats concerning 'bathroom bill'
Senate Bill 6, which would make it illegal for transgender people from using bathrooms they feel match their gender identities, has been filed by Texas legislators. NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told the Associated Press that if a “proposal that is discriminatory or inconsistent with our values were to become law there,” it would be a factor in awarding future events. Simply put: If the bill becomes law, that will be included in the discussion of whether Houston or Dallas gets a Super Bowl in the future.

The NFL is walking on thin ice right here,” Abbott told conservative radio host Glenn Beck, according to the Texas Tribune. “The NFL needs to concentrate on playing football and get the heck out of politics.”
lol

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2017, 11:46 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2017, 04:27 PM

Slavery, segregation,gay marriage, transgender bathrooms; weird how all of these were or are claimed to be stated rights issues

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2017, 11:15 PM

Don't forget pot.

Oh, wait...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2017, 11:32 PM

Yeah pot is completely comparable to segregation

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2017, 11:50 PM

It's obviously not, because Republicans don't seem to consider it a state's rights issue.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 12:02 AM

Neither do I honestly.

Edit: I guess my point is it's a discussion for another thread.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 12:13 AM

I tend to like the idea of state's rights better than the reality.

If everybody was an adult, and we had a UBI, then it could work.

Edit: this response assumes your point to be your point.

OreoCookie
Feb 24, 2017, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Neither do I honestly.

Edit: I guess my point is it's a discussion for another thread.
Invoking states' rights can be used for evil and for good … It'll be interesting to see what the incoming AG's policies on pot will be. He was always touting states' rights.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2017, 10:27 AM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2017, 10:52 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 11, 2017, 07:13 PM

Late news, but NC 'repealed HB2'. I put that in quotes because the analysis I read made this repeal sound like smoke and mirrors. It had the intended effect, though, because the NCAA has lifted the ban. Now, whether that will translate into NC getting all, some, or little of its events back remains to be seen, but this feels scummy.

(The new Democratic governor was big in negotiating this, likely to get his state some money)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 12, 2017, 03:17 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 30, 2017, 08:07 PM

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/h...t-11258613.php
The Texas Supreme Court held Friday that same-sex couples are not necessarily entitled to government employment benefits, sending the case challenging the city of Houston's provision of benefits back to trial court.
The unanimous opinion does not prevent the city from offering employment benefits to same-sex spouses, as it has done intermittently for the last four years.

Rather, it says the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark decision recognizing gay marriage two years ago in Obergefell v. Hodges did not resolve whether employees' same-sex spouses have a right to benefits.
Talk about lying to yourself. This is asking for separate and unequal.

"The court has limited Obergefell in terms of how broadly it should be interpreted," Woodfill said, adding, "It recognized that there's an argument to be made at the trial court that taxpayer dollars should not be used in violation of one's deeply held religious beliefs."
Houston began offering same-sex benefits in November 2013, after the U.S. Supreme Court invalidated part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act.

Plaintiffs Jack Pidgeon and Larry Hicks quickly sued, alleging the payments were an illegal use of taxpayer money.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2017, 06:16 PM

I read about half the decision. It's a doorstopper.

Most importantly, both parties want this to go to trial.

For their part, the Judges said they can't just say Obergefell slaps down Pidgeon because Pidgeon hasn't been able to make a case yet, and it looks like he's got the best ****ing lawyers ever. Ho-lee shit do I not want to get on this guy's bad side.

I almost feel like the judges secretly killed the injunction because then they get to watch.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2017, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I read about half the decision. It's a doorstopper.

Most importantly, both parties want this to go to trial.

For their part, the Judges said they can't just say Obergefell slaps down Pidgeon because Pidgeon hasn't been able to make a case yet, and it looks like he's got the best ****ing lawyers ever. Ho-lee shit do I not want to get on this guy's bad side.

I almost feel like the judges secretly killed the injunction because then they get to watch.
I was wondering if there might be some legal technicalities going on, but it seems so desperate that I can't fathom that's enough.

I mean, by their reasoning quakers could sue for funding the drone strikes, I imagine.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2017, 10:58 AM

The thing is, AFAICT, that's not the reasoning.

To me, the plaintiff's arguments appear to be,

1) This violates Texas DOMA laws, which have yet to be completely struck down.

2) Obergefell was a shitty decision, so the court has an obligation to rule on it as narrowly as possible. Obergerfell says the state must grant and recognize SSMs. It does not say state funds must be distributed equally amongst married couples.

WRT legal technicalities, I've found bizarre seeming unanimous decisions tend to point in that direction.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 2, 2017 at 12:41 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2017, 12:47 PM

As an interesting aside, just showing you how sharp these ****ers are.

The case was filed long before the Obergefell decision. Pidgeon's team claims even if it gets decided Obergefell covers the insurance policy, it doesn't do so retroactively, and Pidgeon can sue to "claw back" payments made previous to Obergefell, which they claim are illegal under Texas DOMA law.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2017, 01:01 PM

The other interesting aside is there's one of those deals where a piece of legislation involved doesn't specifically call out SSMs in the text of the law, which as a constructionist sets off all my alarm bells.

The court says they felt SSMs were clearly the target.

I'm like, okay... show me what you got, but be prepared for me to shit all over it.

The court's rationale for their belief is the name of the law is "Denial of Benefits to Same-Sex Partners and Related Matters".

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2017, 03:34 PM

Really? This was uploaded to YouTube by the person Carlson did the piece on. Said person was invited to appear but declined.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 08:20 PM

House votes to continue paying for gender transition surgeries for military personnel. Rejects plan to stop such payments, 214-209
This was rejected with GOP votes!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2017, 12:42 PM

Reading between the lines, Mattis had it killed.

My guess is he's less a supporter of in-service transitioning than a supporter of Congress ****ing off.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2017, 01:57 PM

For those playing the home game, in about a year you'll want to cross-reference which Republicans broke rank with new defense contracts by congressional district.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Really? This was uploaded to YouTube by the person Carlson did the piece on. Said person was invited to appear but declined.
1) Single out idiot on Twitter
2) Foam at the mouth
3) ...
4)

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2017, 02:10 PM

I miss bow-tie Tucker.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2017, 02:06 PM

1) Single out idiot on Twitter
2) Foam at the mouth
3) ...
4)
These nuts need to be exposed and ridiculed. "Want to only date people with vaginas? Hell no, that's bigotry and you should be publicly shamed and harassed! You'll suck dicks and like it!"

It's not like she's a one-off fruitcake, either. This is becoming the defacto perspective within the intersectional community. There's mental illness going on there, and it needs to be identified by people who value personal liberties.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2017, 04:10 PM

Punish the wicked? Who are the "wicked" and how will they be punished? Reeducation camps?
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...t-wins-w489213
More broadly, for Gill and his allies, nondiscrimination is the new front of the movement: a campaign that pits LGBTQ advocates against a religious right that responded to marriage equality by redoubling its efforts. The election of Donald Trump, who claims to support gay rights but stocked his administration with anti-LGBTQ extremists, has only emboldened those looking to erase the gains of the past decade. Gill refuses to go on the defense. "We're going into the hardest states in the country," he says. "We're going to punish the wicked."
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2017, 02:53 AM

^^

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Punish the wicked? Who are the "wicked" and how will they be punished? Reeducation camps?
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...t-wins-w489213
One wouldn't get the idea from the out of context quote, but it seems his plan is to treat Republicans like human beings, something which the LGBT community isn't necessarily thrilled about.

As an aside, a Rolling Stone article? What the **** did I do to you to deserve having to read that?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2017, 09:32 AM

That woke me up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2017, 09:34 AM

Holy smokescreen, Batman.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2017, 09:40 AM

Less vagueness please. Particularly the second statement.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2017, 09:45 AM

Trump just Twitter-canned transgendered people from the military.

It took a few minutes for me to shake that off, and once I did, my immediate conclusion is the intent is to direct the narrative away from Russia.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2017, 10:04 AM

Actually it sounds like it's red meat for the base, presumably to soothe them while he shits on an AG they love

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2017, 10:28 AM

That works too (the Sessions part, not so sold on the effect it has 12 months from now), but I'd still put it in the smokescreen category.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2017, 10:39 AM

I feel like it's a perfect illustration of the culture 'war'. One side wants the opportunity to serve and possibly die for this country. The other side says no because we don't like who you are. When you're targeting innocents that's not a war that terrorism. This is cultural terrorism.

(Hyperbole for the sake of making a point)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2017, 10:50 AM

Apparently today is the anniversary of Truman desegregating the military.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2017, 02:05 PM

That works too (the Sessions part, not so sold on the effect it has 12 months from now), but I'd still put it in the smokescreen category.
New theory: After that God tweet I think he's just trying to improve his approval rating. He's been flirting with his all time low on Gallup the past week.

Forum Links
Forum Rules