Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cell phone MP3 player? My 2¢ [JPEG Orgy]

Cell phone MP3 player? My 2¢ [JPEG Orgy]
production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 03:13 PM

I'm a Verizon user with a Motorola e815. I've owned the phone for about 4 months, but just purchased a 512MB trans flash card and wanted to tinker with the MP3 player and camera a bit more [Note: I own a iPod mini and a nice Canon 7MP PowerShot] I just assumed that the MP3 player would stink and the photos would be equally as lame [I never really used my cell phone for much beyond... a cell phone]

Image of the phone: http://www.motorola.com/mot/image/10/10440_MotImage.jpg
Image of the trans flash card: http://www.echgo.com.tw/shop/photo/tf512-200.jpg (it's tiny!)

... since starting to play around with it... I've actually found me using my digital camera and iPod less... much less. I can hold about 5-6 CDs worth of music and a few hundred low quality images (perfect for email... awful for ANYTHING else).

Pros:
- It's one device (Phone, IM, camera, MP3, Calendar, a game or two)
- The quality of the audio is exactly the same (iPod vs. Cell) when using the stereo headphones.
- Somewhat easy to create playlists once the music is on the device.
- Free to send images to friends.

Cons:
- Archaic MP3 upload (like loading MP3s on a camera via a card reader... which is somewhat easy, but nowhere near an iPod/iTunes combo)
- Archaic MP3 GUI/playback (like the first MP3 player I used back in 1997... AKA funky)
- Photos are poor... which is no secret. It doesn't replace my Canon... it's not even in the ballpark. But for some things, it works...
- Obviously no protected music.
- No wireless upload/download of songs with Verizon (without hacking the phone)

I think it's far away from being great, or even good, but it works for my needs. I was wondering who else was listening to their cell phones.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 03:17 PM

So help my god when I buy a cellphone with a big external antenna.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

DarwinX
Dec 21, 2005, 03:39 PM

Same phone, how much was the trans flash card?

production_coordinator  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by DarwinX
Same phone, how much was the trans flash card?
$70

I've also been placing funny movie quotes (in MP3 format) and playing with them... wroth a laugh.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 03:55 PM

I listen to Laser Discs on my phone...give it a shot.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
I listen to Laser Discs on my phone...give it a shot.
Ha ha

mindwaves
Dec 21, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
So help my god when I buy a cellphone with a big external antenna.

I agree.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 04:37 PM

if i took my nano and my cellphone (a mototola flip) and glued them together with a metal epoxy... that would instantly be the best mp3/phone combo evar made

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
if i took my nano and my cellphone (a mototola flip) and glued them together with a metal epoxy... that would instantly be the best mp3/phone combo evar made
My nano and Sony phone glued together is still thinner than that above phone.

DarwinX
Dec 21, 2005, 04:56 PM

Obviously it's personal choice, but I truly don't find this phone all that big to use or carry around. The antenna isn't that big of an issue either, but I would also agree that it not being there would be nice. However, it suits my needs and works well with everything I need it to do. I do let the form over function rule slide when it comes to cell phones. Just my 2 cents.

Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 05:55 PM

This wasn't intended as a "my cell phone is cooler than your cell phone" I chose this phone for a number of specific reasons. Verizon service [wonderful in DC], large number of friends that are in my network, large buttons, large screen, long talk time, loud, solid reception, Mac compatible bluetooth, expandable memory card slot, can be used as wireless modem.

Yes, I realize YOU may value different features (obviously smaller is better for you)... but the Motorola e815 is a solid phone and has received very positive reviews... Yep, it's a little bulky, but it compensates IMHO very well with a number of nice features.

ANYWAY, back on topic...

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 06:01 PM

Aren't the Sony Music phones the leader right now in Music Phones? I can see why looking at that Motorola Rokr.

Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 06:06 PM

Aren't the Sony Music phones the leader right now in Music Phones? I can see why looking at that Motorola Rokr.
Are you trying to compare one phone Rokr with the Sony Music phones?

If my phone synched with iTunes... it would be solid gold.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
Are you trying to compare one phone Rokr with the Sony Music phones?

If my phone synched with iTunes... it would be solid gold.
Actually the one ROKR and that thing you posted above.

Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 06:52 PM

Actually the one ROKR and that thing you posted above.
Dark Helmet Strikes Again

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 11:26 PM

I just got a new phone yesturday. There were only 2 phones that came free and that was one of them, I picked the one with blue stripes since it was a little less edgy, no camera, and a weee bit smaller. It still sucks though.

I really got to see how lame the cell phone market has become. While shopping I could totally see that teenage girls have taken over the cell phone industry. Whatever happened to those nice small conservative black business cells that fit right in your pocket? Instead I have to settle for this big bubbly colorful stupid flip phone which probably wastes tons of battery on its huge color screen as it plays videos of a surfer every time it opens. oh well.

Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra
I just got a new phone yesturday. There were only 2 phones that came free and that was one of them, I picked the one with blue stripes since it was a little less edgy, no camera, and a weee bit smaller. It still sucks though.

I really got to see how lame the cell phone market has become. While shopping I could totally see that teenage girls have taken over the cell phone industry. Whatever happened to those nice small conservative black business cells that fit right in your pocket? Instead I have to settle for this big bubbly colorful stupid flip phone which probably wastes tons of battery on its huge color screen as it plays videos of a surfer every time it opens. oh well.

I think there is a market for a large variety of phones... unfortunately the phone companies don't see that... or choose to ignore it in the hopes that EVERYONE will have phones with MP3 players, cameras, large screens, etc. etc.

I like the large screen (I've had five cell phones in my life, and this one is the best of all as the screen is large enough where I can actually see the numbers from arms length away. I can also see pictures that friends send to me (not all of them are fun, some of them are functional AKA "what is this" [insert picture[). I don't need the camera, but it has come in handy a few times (getting a license plate from something shady that was going down... also if I'm ever in a car accident, bla bla bla).

Again, I agree that all the cell phone companies could be targeting a larger demographic by offering more business looking cell phones.

This was my first beauty!
http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/startac130.gif

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2005, 09:43 AM

Sony Ericcson w900i

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Sony Ericcson w900i
Looks like an amazing phone... but a little outside my price range

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 10:52 AM

Looks like an amazing phone... but a little outside my price range
I've got the W600i. I believe it's a bit cheaper?

I hate the swivel design, but I love the user interface. 1.3 megapixel camera, 256MB built-in. The MP3 player (walkman phone) plays well, with a menu system just like an iPod's.

Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by RGB
I've got the W600i. I believe it's a bit cheaper?

I hate the swivel design, but I love the user interface. 1.3 megapixel camera, 256MB built-in. The MP3 player (walkman phone) plays well, with a menu system just like an iPod's.

Do you use the MP3 player? I'm interested on hearing from anyone else that uses their phone as an MP3 player as well... I'm still on the "toy vs. tool" fence.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2005, 11:43 AM

I just ordered a W800i. The W900i is great, but my problem is that I'm a bit iffy about using a tri-band phone in the US, so rather than go all-out and drop $579 on a W900i which might now work well here, I figured I'd test the waters with a cheaper phone. Others in my area say that the tri-band phones work fine here. Plus, the W800i has autofocus.

I should get it tomorrow.

Mike

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 12:24 PM

Do you use the MP3 player? I'm interested on hearing from anyone else that uses their phone as an MP3 player as well... I'm still on the "toy vs. tool" fence.
Right now it's just a novelty.

Thanks to the FM antennae integrated into the headphones, it uses a proprietary jack. It's not enough MP3 player to make me give up my iPod, and I don't want to carry two pairs of headphones in my pocket (the iPod used to live in my backpack, until the new ones lost the remote port).

Music is sent via Bluetooth, not iTunes, which means I have to hunt down any song I want via the Finder. I keep a couple songs on there for the hell of it, and since the default ringers are so awful, I use the MP3s as ringtones. That's really my greatest use for it, and the speakers are more than acceptable quality for a phone.

This phone is wonderful, simply for its phone features. Great interface, easy messaging, quad band, speakerphone, etc.

I certainly did not buy this phone for its MP3 player (I only bought it because my T637 died, I love Bluetooth, and hate Motorola).

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2005, 01:22 PM

Dark Helmet Strikes Again
Can you show us other Motorola MP3 phones that we can hold next to SE ones?

Right now the only thing stopping me from getting the w800 is that it isn't 850MHz. I might get the w600 as it is quad band and beats the snot out of any motorola posted here.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2005, 04:30 PM

Can you show us other Motorola MP3 phones that we can hold next to SE ones?

Right now the only thing stopping me from getting the w800 is that it isn't 850MHz. I might get the w600 as it is quad band and beats the snot out of any motorola posted here.
The W800i isn't either, but I got it anyway because others in my area say that they have no problems with it in NY/NJ. I don't have a problem keeping the Nokia in my car as a spare. Looking at the coverage map on Cingular's site, the entire area's covered in 850/1900 so I shouldn't have a problem.

I looked at the RAZR again. What a turd. It's true that it's form over function. The OS really is bad. It doesn't work with Salling. I admit that I was wooed by the "coolness" factor, but when it comes down to what's going to LAST, the Nokia and SE phones really do kick Motorola's ass from here to the closest satellite and back.

Mike

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2005, 03:52 PM

I've had a W800 for several months now and it's been a great little phone. With the 2 GB memory stick I've replaced my ipod and my old digital camera.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2005, 04:16 PM

I just got it. So far, it's a DAMN GOOD PHONE. I have to leave for a bit so I can't do a full review, but what I like about it is that it JUST WORKS. Not only that, but when you download an MP3 to it, one of the menu items is "Use for contact ringtone". NO HOOPS TO GO THROUGH. The OS on this thing absofrickinlutely ROCKS.

The RAZR doesn't have jack sh*t on this phone.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2005, 04:18 PM

My wife has a LG phone with Verizon, likes the phone. Has picture option, doesn't plan to use because of charges.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules