Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Madness

The Madness
RGB
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 04:24 AM

I'm posting this partially to toot my own horn, but also to gather some info from you guys.

I'm the Creative Director at KU's student newspaper, The University Daily Kansan

Sunday was the biggest news day of the semester. Not only did our Jayhawks win the Big 12 Tournament in a great game against Texas, but storms (potentially tornadoes) ripped through Lawrence early in the morning, causing millions in damage, power outages, and closing campus tomorrow.

It's taken a hell of an effort from our staff, but we've put together our newspaper without the help of our network (thank you thumb drives) and will be delivering it off campus early in the morning to all the apartment complexes in town.

Recently, I've been doing some custom front pages for our website, breaking out of the homepage template to highlight big games. Because of the two huge stories yesterday, I had to destroy that template to provide custom online coverage.

It can be seen at http://www.kansan.com - The storm coverage was pushed in above where the page usually starts, and the basketball coverage took over the main content area.

What I'm wondering is if you guys know of any other newspapers (college or professional) that routinely do special graphics and layouts on their websites for bigger-than-usual stories. ESPN.com does a beautiful job of this, but off the top of my head no other site comes to mind. If you know of any, please share, as I'm curious to see who else goes this far to publish news online.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2006, 08:42 AM

The site looks really nice...great job!

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2006, 11:06 AM

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2006, 11:26 AM

Congratulations on a job well done. You have very right to be very proud.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Traffic at the site is astronomical today, and our editor was interviewed by the AP early this morning.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2006, 06:52 PM

What does the regular homepage look like compared to this custom one you created?

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
What does the regular homepage look like compared to this custom one you created?
This same content without the special treatment would look like:

http://media.kansan.com/img/homepages/normalfront.png

Gropin'GL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 09:24 PM

It looks awesome... Sorry to hear about the town being destroyed, my grandparents live in Lawrence, though they are spending the spring out in CA with us. I hope their house didn't get hurt, likewise with yours.

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 09:58 PM

Where in Lawrence do they live? Much of the town remains nearly untouched, mainly the northwestern area, where I thankfully am.

Gropin'GL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 11:16 PM

They live near Nicklaus Ave. (sp). They live one of those places, where they name it after Golf competitions, the Masters, thats it.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2006, 11:35 PM

Too bad the whole shootin'-match is shoved way over to the left side of my 23" Cinema display.

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Forum Links
Forum Rules