Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Baseball Fans - Ever Use MLB.tv

Baseball Fans - Ever Use MLB.tv
nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 03:16 PM

i was thinking about getting MLB.tv so i can watch the Twins next year, because besides watching the twins on cable i dont really watch cable tv. i was wondering if anyone here has used mlb.tv's live game subscription service and how good or bad it is. any feedback would be awesome. thanks guys.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 03:20 PM

Interesting time to be thinking about baseball.

nredman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 03:25 PM

look at my sig - and you'll know why

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 03:26 PM

Shouldn't you be a Vikings fan?

nredman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 03:29 PM

people around here probably think i should be, i like to see them win but if they lose i think its funny

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 03:30 PM

Boating incidents... now that's funny.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2006, 03:34 PM

If you live in the local market for the game you're interested in, it will not be available on mlb.tv . They figure this out based on where they think your IP address is from.

Major League Baseball Knows Where You Live!

It sucks! Mets games are one of the only reasons why I am keeping cable. If I could subscribe to this, I'd be tempted to ditch the cable altogether, but I can't!

edit: I do subscribe to the GameDay audio, which is much cheaper and not subject to blackout. Baseball is better on the radio, anyway, since there's no chance of finding Tim McCarver and Joe Buck there. Since I'm changing jobs soon to a place with a less stringent IT department, I'll probably be able to stream the day games to my PC while I'm working (as opposed to last years' strategy of working from home or taking a long lunch every other Thursday....)
( Last edited by Dork.; Dec 27, 2006 at 03:47 PM. )

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 03:39 PM

I watched a lot of baseball on it from 2004 - 2005, when I was abroad. It was merely ok, but I was desperate.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
If you live in the local market for the game you're interested in, it will not be available on mlb.tv . They figure this out based on where they think your IP address is from.
That's pretty lame. How can they justify doing that?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
That's pretty lame. How can they justify doing that?
MLB and the local team have an exclusive contract with the TV station showing the game, and they are bound by that contract to not let the game be shown on any other broadcast medium at the same time, even the Internet.

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2006, 03:31 AM

Also, beware the FOX blackouts:

On Saturdays, FOX shows multiple games at the same time, and each network affiliate picks the most appealing game for its market. I spent my summer in Knoxville, TN, and pretty much every time my White Sox would be on FOX, the local affiliate would show a crappy Red Sox game (instead of the World Series rematch) or not show baseball at all, filling in Juwanna Man instead. When FOX is showing games, all the internet video feeds are blacked out, so I had no way to see the game I wanted to see. I eventually started using a friend's gameday audio subscription in this case.

My 1GHz TiBook struggles a bit with the video feed, but it's better than nothing. Video is only available in WMV, so you'll probably want the Flip4Mac plugin to watch in quicktime.

Forum Links
Forum Rules