Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Will the "Restore From Time Machine Backup" feature work with Sapphire RX580 ?

Will the "Restore From Time Machine Backup" feature work with Sapphire RX580 ?
Anto39x
Nov 16, 2020, 09:13 AM

Hello all... hope you are all keeping safe and well.

Will the "Restore From Time Machine Backup" feature work with Sapphire Pulse RX580 graphics card on a MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) with 128GB ram and 1TB SSD. I have gotten into issues with the macOS last Thursday, so I have re-installed macOS Mojave using a USB installer method, but I'm still having glitchy software issues. My problems started with a computer freeze and a forced restart last Thursday... could I... revert back to when all was working perfectly on Wednesday.

I have already tried to get into Restore mode... but I waited 10mins and nothing happened... could the fact that I no longer have the video card it came with be the issue ?

Any comments or advice most welcome.

Regards,
Anthony
( Last edited by Anto39x; Nov 16, 2020 at 02:19 PM. )

Anto39x  (op)
Nov 16, 2020, 02:00 PM

I have actually just now got the "Restore" feature to work, and I can now see how I can revert back to when the OS was behaving correctly last week... but as I have never done this before... I assumed I could revert back to the previous working of the macOS only.... but as I select the hard drive that I have been working off... it's warning me it will erase all the contents on the drive.. all my apps and I have work files on that SSD also... this feels more like a clean install than a restore... am I right in what I'm thinking...?

Currently, I'm performing another re-install of the macOS as I did previously using USB, but maybe this time will be more successful.

Please advise and revert with any comments or suggestions if you get a chance.

Regards,
Anthony

reader50
Administrator
Nov 16, 2020, 02:11 PM

Are you sure you have a 2020 Mac Pro, not a 2010?

A full restore from Time Machine usually changes everything back. ie - you lose any file changes done since that snapshot. You might want to save any files you've been working on to an external drive before doing a TM full restore.

Anto39x  (op)
Nov 16, 2020, 02:17 PM

Hi Reader50... I have a MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) that I updated with a new SSD and a new graphics card last year. I have everything backed up on my Drobo backup system... so any files I might lose I could restore from that. But the issue is.. I'm new to this method of restore... so when I clicked the Restore OS From Time Machine... when I found the date of the OS that I wanted to restore... it said it would erase the drive... so I backed off straight away.

What are you exactly saying it will do....? Will it just erase and restore all the files that were on that SSD... or could it erase all and all I will be left with is the OS back to last week but all my apps and work files gone...?

Please advise and revert when you get an opportunity.

Regards,
Anthony

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2020, 04:48 PM

Time machine restores should never say they are erasing the drive. Time machine is not a bootable backup so you need to have a system up and running to restore your data after which time machine can be used to restore your applications and data as well as user system files.

The erase drive dialogue is only usually seen in time machine when you are pointing it at a non-mac formatted disk as a new backup volume and TM will need to erase the drive and format it for Mac in order to run its first backup.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2020, 12:25 AM

If you're using Time Machine over a network share, sometimes you can get that dialog, actually, if the disk image fails validation. It's not that hard to do actually, since the images can get suddenly disconnected in the middle of writes if the network goes down or the laptop moves out of range of the router while a backup is going on.

Should be a lot less common in Big Sur, though, now that it uses APFS and snapshots, which should be a lot more reliable than that hacky, complicated, horrible thing with hard links that it's traditionally done.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2020, 05:49 AM

So far I have migrated 2 customer machines using Big Sur. The process was horrendous on both machines in identical ways.
On both Migration assistant spent literally hours indexing read receipts followed by a long pause where it indicated it would take 17 hours to migrate the data. (around 700MB in case 1 and 1.2TB in case 2 - both using external Ssd's over USB 3 to an internal SSD). Both machines revised this to 47 minutes (why the same figure?) after an hour or so and then hung there for about a day while the files copied count ticked up. Both migration paused every time the iMac screen went to sleep and both finished with the proud boast "Your files have been successfully migrated" before going on to make both the now migrated machine hang on boot.

Nice!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules