Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari Flash Problem

Safari Flash Problem
joelisfar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2007, 07:15 PM

Does anybody know what I must do to fix my Flash plugin in Safari? One day, I went to YouTube and no video would load. I checked some other flash sites and I had no success with them either. I was using Safari 3 BETA. First I tried re-installing the flash plug-in and nothing changed. Next I decided to uninstall Safari 3 BETA and move back down to Safari 2.0.4 (419.3). Again, flash objects would not load. I tried re-installing the flash plug-in again with no success. It is interesting to note that other users on my computer have no problem with Safari, though it is the same application. I tried resetting Safari, deleting all of my settings for it and re-installing, but I had no success.

Any suggestions or solutions?

Franz
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2007, 05:16 AM

try to go

System preferences > Quicktime > Advanced tab > the Enable Flash button... click it and unclick it, see if that helps maybe.

you can also try the MIME settings button and then under Miscellaneous you can try toggling the flash media under there too.

joelisfar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.
I wouldn't have thought of them, but they didn't work.

Any other takers?

Sethro
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2007, 09:26 PM

It looks like your Safari installation is corrupted, what I would do is trash Safari and completely remove it from the system. This includes trashing all Safari extensions and the ".plist" files that are bundled with Safari. Then use your installation disk that came with your Mac and reinstall Safari, this should fix any Flash problems that your having.

smithkennedy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2007, 05:16 PM

I was having problems too. I quit Safari, moved my ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist file out of the way, and started Safari again, and it began working again. Always try your prefs file before you re-install - it is a quick thing to check, and is way faster than reinstalling.
Lick Bush and Dick '04

Miasis Dragon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2007, 10:11 AM

Got the same problem when I upgraded to QuickTime player 7.2 Tried going back to an earlier version. No help. Clicked off Flash in QT preferences, partial success, but problem came back. Installed Flash Player 9 OSX. Partial success but problem comes back. Reinstalling Flash Player works for a while but doesn't last.
Problem occurs and reoccurs when using Safari, IE, FireFox, and Shiira.
However, no problem when I use Opera. Try Opera. See if that solves your problem.

Addendum: Do you get a large QuickTime icon with a question mark in the middle when your problem occurs?
( Last edited by Miasis Dragon; Aug 4, 2007 at 02:55 PM. )

TLP31
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Miasis Dragon View Post
Got the same problem when I upgraded to QuickTime player 7.2 Tried going back to an earlier version. No help. Clicked off Flash in QT preferences, partial success, but problem came back. Installed Flash Player 9 OSX. Partial success but problem comes back. Reinstalling Flash Player works for a while but doesn't last.
Problem occurs and reoccurs when using Safari, IE, FireFox, and Shiira.
However, no problem when I use Opera. Try Opera. See if that solves your problem.

Addendum: Do you get a large QuickTime icon with a question mark in the middle when your problem occurs?
I'm having the same problem and have tried the same work-arounds. Yes, I always get the Quicktime logo with a question mark.

Miasis Dragon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by TLP31 View Post
I'm having the same problem and have tried the same work-arounds. Yes, I always get the Quicktime logo with a question mark.
After weeks of having the problem of the QuickTime logo w/question mark, I found this site:
Apple - Support - Discussions - QuickTime 7.1.5 Gets ? in Q; can not ...
Actually, none of the fixes on that site worked completely for me; however, one worked partially:
removing Quicktime plugin.plugin from their root library folder, Internet plugins resolved the problem with Firefox.

Still had the problem with Safari. Then, I went to root library/Internet Plug-Ins/ QuickTime Plugin.wegplugin/ Contents/ QuickTime Plugin and deleted that (QuickTime Plugin. ) Now Safari worked without the ?in Quicktime Logo.
That was August 23. After that 'fix', I have had NO problems - zilch, nada, none. Was that a permanent or temporary fix? Time will tell.
Others who have had the problem have had different fixes work for them. Try my method and if it doesn't work, go to the URL above. There may be other fixes by now.
Please post another thread if you find a way to fix the problem.
Evidently, a lot of users have the problem.

TFH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 03:04 AM

None of these fixes work! The last one I tried: root library/Internet Plug-Ins/ QuickTime Plugin.wegplugin/ Contents/ QuickTime Plugin and deleted that (QuickTime Plugin. ) THis only resulted in the Q? being replaced by a blue LEGO with a ? mark on it! As a dedicated Mac user, I'm appalled that more effort seems to have gone into dressing up Safari error icons than actually fixing the GD problems! Isnt Apple embarrassed by this? I hate to say it, but none of these flash problems happen on my old Dell....

TFH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 11:03 PM

I am using the icab browser on the same system thet I am still not able to see flash video on Safari and Firefox.
It works on icab! No idea why, but you might want to try icab. It's a free browser that actually has some useful featuers, such as the ability to download Quicktime videos without having Quicktime Pro. Check it out!
iCab - Downloads
TFH

Forum Links
Forum Rules