Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Half Life 2 on macbook (windblows) crashes after loading

Half Life 2 on macbook (windblows) crashes after loading
post_break
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2007, 04:44 PM

I have a macbook with a 2.0ghz cpu, 1 gig o ram, and a fresh install of windows and steam. For some reason half life 2 crashes after loading the next level. Steam does NOT crash, just HL2. Even my hacked copy of HL2 without steam crashes after loading, I deleted that in a fit of rage, drove out to walmart, and bought a real copy hoping it would fix the problem. I am pissed now. Whats left for me to do? I think its a problem with my ram, as in I dont have enough and it just crashes due to filling up the memory. I upped the page file to the max and it helped a bit, I got past loading parts but then it crashed shortly after that. Any macbook gaming guru's out there?

I installed the game with cross over and it plays OK at 640 x 480 (laughable) and does not crash randomly.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 07:25 PM

I think your problem is that you put MacBook and gaming in the same sentence.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2007, 08:30 PM

I have played hl2 via bootcamp - I can only say that make sure that your dx 9 drivers are current. I have a strong feeling that the version of windows could be pirated - so it does not pass the "windows genuine advantage", which means unfortunately, no direct x drivers. Sneeky bastards arent they?

Any way MS direct x drivers is where I would start- by the way DX9 is afree download but its not on the MS SW update page - they are a separate entity.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

post_break  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2007, 08:42 PM

I do believe the direct X is up to date. I downloaded the newest version but I could be wrong. Im thinking the only way to fix this is to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram but then my luck that wont fix it.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2007, 08:58 PM

Hmm odd - I dont think its your copy of HL2.

Like Erik had commented it could be your video capabilities are limited - but I really dont think the game would just crash if trying to play at a higher resolution - so I'm thinking its your OS.

I would highly suggest trying to find Windows FLP for bootcamp. It was released by MS a couple years ago but unfortunately it was released to only corporations. It can be found on your favorite torrent site (not that I condone dl'ing software) or ebay. Its a perfect match for running games on a Macbook, since its a stripped down version of windows (ie no bloat) and thus blazes on 256 MB of RAM!! here's an overview of it.

best of all its fully compliant with the most recent versions of DX and passes Windows genuine advantage tests - really a gamers dream OS.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by tkmd View Post
best of all its fully compliant with the most recent versions of DX and passes Windows genuine advantage tests - really a gamers dream OS.
Just out of curiosity, how would one go about getting DX9 to work on Win FLP?

Edit: Oh, I see. Full install needed.
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Aug 20, 2007 at 12:28 AM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

post_break  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by tkmd View Post
Hmm odd - I dont think its your copy of HL2.

Like Erik had commented it could be your video capabilities are limited - but I really dont think the game would just crash if trying to play at a higher resolution - so I'm thinking its your OS.

I would highly suggest trying to find Windows FLP for bootcamp. It was released by MS a couple years ago but unfortunately it was released to only corporations. It can be found on your favorite torrent site (not that I condone dl'ing software) or ebay. Its a perfect match for running games on a Macbook, since its a stripped down version of windows (ie no bloat) and thus blazes on 256 MB of RAM!! here's an overview of it.

I will have to give that a try. Yeah I have tried everything. Even running the game in a window. It just crashes after loading the next segment. When I say crash I mean the game just disappears, no errors, nothing.

post_break  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2007, 08:57 PM

Just a quick update. Ive got 2 gigs of ram on the way and if this works (not holding my breath) I will be very happy. It would also be nice info for those crazy people trying to game on their macbooks.

post_break  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2007, 02:34 PM

Well with 2 gigs it still crashes. Odd because it runs in cross over fine... I give up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules