Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch.... 16GB

iPod Touch.... 16GB
richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 02:43 PM

16 Gb is nowhere near enough.......
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 02:45 PM

Is the new ITouch really an iPhone minus the phone? Does it have Bluetooth? Can I surf the Web and launch an SSH client? Is it really a mini tablet PC?

-S

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 02:47 PM

The new iPod touch is close to the iPhone with no phone.
No bluetooth, speaker, mic, etc.

Basically take your iPod and add the touch feature to it. Do not think about the features you are lacking.
Basically this brings to the table, better access (quicker) to applications and better navigation around the iPod. While a click wheel will always be good, having the home screen and just touching and the playing is so much faster (takes some getting use to).

It does have safari though.

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 02:53 PM

Once you add Safari and the possibility of Web surfing via WiFi, the whole music aspect seems like an afterthought. Better to call it a tablet Mac that happens to play music and has other apps as well...

-S

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sparkletron View Post
Once you add Safari and the possibility of Web surfing via WiFi, the whole music aspect seems like an afterthought. Better to call it a tablet Mac that happens to play music and has other apps as well...

-S
True, though I would love to see an actual tablet Macbook (the "Modbook" looked cool, but no keyboard).

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 02:57 PM

Now if I could hook up my 30gb ipod to upload to the new one (sync), then I'm getting the 16gb one.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 03:01 PM

Are the calendar and contacts editable on the touch like an iPhone, or read only like an iPod? I'm guessing its editable but just checking .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Now if I could hook up my 30gb ipod to upload to the new one (sync), then I'm getting the 16gb one.
Why would you need to do that? Or do you mean a one-time thing?

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Why would you need to do that? Or do you mean a one-time thing?
16 gb isn't a whole lot. I can use my 30gb ipod to store movies, then add a few when needed. Since they are both small, very easily portable. Beats lugging a laptop around.
Randy

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2007, 03:09 PM

16 GB is way too small. Couldn't they have made a hard-drive based one? Even 60 GB? The whole POINT of a widescreen iPod was for movies.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
16 Gb is nowhere near enough.......
More than enough for me. I never have more than 2 or 3 gigs of music on my iPod I'm actively listeing to at any one moment.

I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

richwig83  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Are the calendar and contacts editable on the touch like an iPhone, or read only like an iPod? I'm guessing its editable but just checking .
Yeah its gotta be a la iphone.... editable all the way!!

Oh Yeah.... 16gb sucks big style!!! My itunes collection is by no means massive (55gb) and choosing tracks to put on a portable device should be a thing of the past!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 03:18 PM

Looks like no education discount. Just tried. Or was there never a education discount on ipods?
Randy

passmaster16
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 03:19 PM

Looks like no education discount. Just tried. Or was there never a education discount on ipods?
Randy
I thought they stopped giving edu discounts on iPods a while ago.

Enigmatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 03:22 PM

I'm guessing that this is apple's way of transitioning the full sized ipod to flash based storage. Eventually the classic will be discontinued and the touch will take over the "big" iPod status. Just look at the name "classic", I don't seeing that model staying in apple's lineup for the long-run. Maybe when they are around the 64gb mark in flash storage at a reasonable price(ie when 64gb costs as much as 16gb does now) then I could imagine we see the HD based ipod leave.

Also, maybe I'm relying too much on the hackers, but who knows, with wifi in this baby I can see down the line being able to stream your entire itunes library to your ipod touch/iphone. It's probably nearly identical to hacking the iphone's OS. Maybe apple will enable it in an update, this would put less dependency on the storage capacity. Imagine having your entire library wherever there's wifi, then taking your 16gb of content with you for whenever your not near an access point. Imagine being able to update the contents of your ipod by copying over songs from your home computer while you're across town at a starbucks with wifi.

Xyphoid Process
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 03:22 PM

Randy
iPods don't get edu discounts these days. Instead, they throw in a free last-gen nano (or equiv. discount on higher models) with mac purchases in the back-to-school lead-up.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2007, 03:26 PM

16 gb isn't a whole lot. I can use my 30gb ipod to store movies, then add a few when needed. Since they are both small, very easily portable. Beats lugging a laptop around.
Randy
I can tell you right now that there's not going to be any way to transfer movies from one iPod to another.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I can tell you right now that there's not going to be any way to transfer movies from one iPod to another.
Not an official way. There will be any number of utilities which make it trivial.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

jriveractu
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 03:42 PM

damn, I have like 30 g's of music

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
Not an official way. There will be any number of utilities which make it trivial.
No, no there won't. If I understand correctly, he's talking about transferring directly from one iPod to another without the use of a computer.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 04:29 PM

Just placed my order. Even if it doesn't happen (never say never), I will still be happy. The selling point for me was the wifi. Time to get rid of my palm T5.
Randy

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 04:36 PM

Just placed my order. Even if it doesn't happen (never say never), I will still be happy. The selling point for me was the wifi. Time to get rid of my palm T5.
Randy
I agree. The best thing about iTouch is usable Web surfing/email via WiFi in the palm of your hand. The music playing feature is a nice bonus...

-S

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 05:04 PM

I'm pissed.

Ok, so, I followed the engadget liveblog, saw the confirmation of an iPod touch, after the classic, and was all giddy. I closed my Macbook and went to class, content on spending 4-500 for 80 or 120 or, (gasp) my 160 GB ipod Touch! I was ecstatic!

When class is over, I get online, to see just how much I'm gonna spend... $400! AWESOME!
But what, 16 GB?
Six
teen
GB.

Holy crap.

Seriously, WTH?! We wait years for a REAL widescreen, beautiful display, on a beautiful multi touch interface, etc. IT's all perfect, except that it's 16 GB! Come ON! I have 45+ Gb of music ALONE!.

Wow.
I'm annoyed.

Well, I guess I'll be picking up a classic 160 then. I still think the classic is a brilliant piece of hardware, 40 hours of playtime is insane. That said, wow Apple, come on, 16GB in your first ACTUAL widescreen player? Wow.

That said...

From what I'm reading, people are eating it up. Probably the type of people who would have been buying 30 GB Ipods to only put a few cds on it..
Meh.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 05:08 PM

Where's the 3.7" LCD / 160GB HDD combination? Anything less is uninteresting.

4 movies and 40 albums on a widescreen iPod with cover flow? Lame.
( Last edited by mduell; Sep 5, 2007 at 06:12 PM. )

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2007, 05:09 PM

I like the 16GB iPod touch, but not enough to spend £269 on it. Happily I go to Hong Kong in November and so shall get one for the flight back for but £203. Ho ho ho.

Other than the obvious 160GB hard drive instead of 16GB of flash, the thing I would have liked to see would be Bluetooth and support for using an external keyboard with it. Oh well. Still vaguely possible via the dock connector...

The lack of a camera would only have mattered if the one in the iPhone was any good to start with. Maybe in a few more years.

So, I get one mostly to play with developing homebrew software for it without having to pay for the monthly contract an iPhone entails. And I guess I could listen to music/watch TV too...
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

post_break
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 05:09 PM

It better have video output like the 5g...

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by JustinHorne View Post
I'm pissed.

Ok, so, I followed the engadget liveblog, saw the confirmation of an iPod touch, after the classic, and was all giddy. I closed my Macbook and went to class, content on spending 4-500 for 80 or 120 or, (gasp) my 160 GB ipod Touch! I was ecstatic!

When class is over, I get online, to see just how much I'm gonna spend... $400! AWESOME!
But what, 16 GB?
Six
teen
GB.

Holy crap.

Seriously, WTH?! We wait years for a REAL widescreen, beautiful display, on a beautiful multi touch interface, etc. IT's all perfect, except that it's 16 GB! Come ON! I have 45+ Gb of music ALONE!.

Wow.
I'm annoyed.

Well, I guess I'll be picking up a classic 160 then. I still think the classic is a brilliant piece of hardware, 40 hours of playtime is insane. That said, wow Apple, come on, 16GB in your first ACTUAL widescreen player? Wow.

That said...

From what I'm reading, people are eating it up. Probably the type of people who would have been buying 30 GB Ipods to only put a few cds on it..
Meh.
It's perfect for me, so I have ordered a 16GB model.

To all those who while about 16GB, just be selective with your music. Make some cleaver playlists that select your favorite tracks, limit the playlists to a certain size.

I have the following playlists on my 4GB nano and they work great :-

1 that has 1GB of my most recent addition to iTunes, so I always have the recent store purchases or CD loads.

1 that has 2GB of my most favorite tracks (4 stars or more), that have not been played in the last 6 months, the playlist also selects the tracks first that have the lowest number of play counts.

1 that has 1 GB of music that I select manually, things that are just 'hot' at the moment.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 05:36 PM

So while it has Calendar and Contacts, it's still a read only format rather than having the PDA-like capability of the iPhone. Why can't they just enable that and let the iPods really rock? I won't be getting an iPhone (up here in Vancouver) and I'd love to have one of my two devices (phone or iPod) have real PDA capabilities...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2007, 05:39 PM

Meh. I'm finding 160gb to be too small. Why oh why no hard drive in these?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by legacyb4 View Post
So while it has Calendar and Contacts, it's still a read only format rather than having the PDA-like capability of the iPhone. Why can't they just enable that and let the iPods really rock? I won't be getting an iPhone (up here in Vancouver) and I'd love to have one of my two devices (phone or iPod) have real PDA capabilities...
that's definite? no input in cal or contacts? damn...would love to replace my palm tx...
(where i can surf, do email, do datebook & phonebook stuff, memos, watch movies, listen to music....)

c'mon apple give us input capabilities!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 06:21 PM

Ok, I don't get it. I just don't see the point.

The iPod Touch seems like too much of a tease, and too much of a compromise to be feasible.

It's not a 'real' iPod as the storage is just too small for the form factor and price.

It's not a PDA as there is no input or organisation features only web browsing.

It's not anywhere near an ultra portable PC.

I just don't get who'd buy one these, or how they'd sell in the numbers of the previous gen iPods.

But meh, maybe I am just cynical, but it seems to be a 'bit of everything', but the final production does not add up to be as good as the potential of the parts.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2007, 06:28 PM

For everyone disappointed by the 8 and 16GB storage in the touch, did you really expect a hard drive in the same form factor as the iPhone? If you want a scaled down iPhone (which is what so many here claimed to want), then you have to accept the space limitations inherent to the iPhone, which means flash memory is what you're going to get. Talk about unrealistic expectations.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 06:30 PM

My guess is third party apps will appear shortly after they come out. Just look at the games for the 5G ipod. Never thought games would come out for it when I bought it. Give it a little time and we will see apps for it. Music is in a file format so there has to be ways to save a file on it. Just has to be implemented through the os which I think apple will do to keep it going for awhile.
Randy

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
For everyone disappointed by the 8 and 16GB storage in the touch, did you really expect a hard drive in the same form factor as the iPhone? If you want a scaled down iPhone (which is what so many here claimed to want), then you have to accept the space limitations inherent to the iPhone, which means flash memory is what you're going to get. Talk about unrealistic expectations.
It's thinner than the iPhone - they could have made it a bit fatter, and got a hard drive in there.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
It's thinner than the iPhone - they could have made it a bit fatter, and got a hard drive in there.
That's what I was expecting.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 06:40 PM

I was following the live blog updates on the mac sites, as soon as they said the touch was 8mm thick, then it had to be flash memory in there. The funny/odd thing is that by bringing out an iPod 'classic' with 160GB they have done 2 things - labelled the hard drive iPod with a limited life before flash takes over the whole iPod line, and set the bar for flash capacity to replace it with soooo high!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

SpencerLavery
Sep 5, 2007, 06:42 PM

16GB is a complete joke for a music player, and an absolute farce for a video player.
WhiteBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio HD
Wireless Mighty Mouse, Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Hyundia 22" LCD
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2007, 06:44 PM

Right.

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
Ok, I don't get it. I just don't see the point. ... I just don't get who'd buy one these
What is the smallest most portable device that I can effectively browse the Web with via WiFi? Whatever that is--that's what I want. Perhaps it's a Nokia E90. Perhaps it's the new iTouch PDA.

As for 16GB, this is a solid state device. I wouldn't even be remotely interested if it had moving parts. For solid state, 16GB is cutting edge--or can y'all name another 16GB solid state Web-browsing via WiFi music device?

-S

ph0ust
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 06:57 PM

yea, i have to say i am bummed, stunned and confused. the touch seems like what every apple fan ever has wanted. anyone with an ipod would want that. but with 16gb it is just a let down. sure many people are fine with that because they have only a little music or don't watch video or don't mind CONSTANTLY changing what is on their ipod, but honestly... that is a pretty small portion of ipod buyers. if that is what they want... they get a nano, and the new nano's are even better.

apple's stock is getting pummeled today! down over $7 last i checked and this on a day when apple releases "the best ipods ever". i think this is a message that they are segmenting their product lines too much and should have obviously just dropped the classic and released a fatter, hdd based touch.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2007, 06:57 PM

Sparkletron - Your needs are clearly different. I have over 160gb of music. Solid state is not ready for iPods except on the bottom of the size scale. Hard drives work pretty well, and are big enough to hold a serious music collection. I, for one, won't be getting a solid state music player until it has 80-100gb capacity, at cheaper than hard drive prices..

Appleman
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 07:04 PM

My guess is that a harddisk is too slow for the touch screen stuff? Otherwise I don't see the reason why not have a touch with 160 GB space.

For music, photo's and movies 16 GB is not enough.
Nice machine, but why not buy a iPhone and don't use it as a phone? You would have more.

I ordered the classic 160 GB and wait a bit longer.

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I have over 160gb of music
And you absolutely have to bring all of it with you wherever you go? Jeez.

Anyway it's cool and I sympathize; Apple never quite delivers exactly what we want. I'm still waiting for a true headless iMac (i.e., a Mini with a regular HD,FW800/external SATA port, and a GPU).

But meanwhile here's this Apple PDA-like thingy that could finally usher in the tablet PC revolution.

-S

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I didn't want the iPhone form factor. All I wanted was the screen size.

I wanted a hard drive and better resolution (like DVD ). I don't really care about thickness or weight.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2007, 07:19 PM

So while it has Calendar and Contacts, it's still a read only format rather than having the PDA-like capability of the iPhone.
Do we know that is right? So know adding to contacts or calendars? reading/writing webmail? Can anyone point to a source for this info/

Appleman
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 07:19 PM

Some people have a job where they are weeks from home, so yes, then they like to bring it.
My 60 GB is full and not big enough, so I ordered the new 160 GB.
But if you are at home every day, a 16 GB will do fine yes.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2007, 07:26 PM

Well, if that argument held sway, there would be no market for music players with large capacity drives. Have to? No. Want to? Yes.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2007, 07:30 PM

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Appleman View Post
Some people have a job where they are weeks from home, so yes, then they like to bring it.
As I said it's all good. Personally, if I had a job that required me to be away from home for weeks, then I would buy a Macbook/Pro. Problem solved.

-S

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 07:35 PM

Nobody *HAS TO* have an iPod at all.

It just makes life a lot easier for a bunch of people, and it makes it a lot more fun for a couple tens of millions of others.

80 GB is the minimum for a dedicated iPod for me; 160 more of the sweet spot.

If I need to weed out and re-arrange much below 80 GB, I might as well just stick with 8 or 16 GB I'll be getting with the iPhone.

Another factor is that I'd prefer flash over hard drive for reliability reasons, though I realize that cost is prohibitive at this point.

Forum Links
Forum Rules