Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Fox News Reveals Identity of SEAL Team 6 Member Who Wrote, "No Easy Day"

Fox News Reveals Identity of SEAL Team 6 Member Who Wrote, "No Easy Day" (Page 2)
kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its difficult to put my finger on it exactly. Another example is Everybody Loves Raymond. It was never superb comedy, but I used to laugh at it. Now I see reruns, I don't laugh at all. Same is true of Seinfeld, except I never laughed much in the first place. Some comedy is a bit more timeless somehow. Friends is still funny, if a little overly-watched.
As fond as we are of Brits and as fraternal as we two peoples are, I still must point out that you are Foreign. How that matters in this instance is that your humor is a bit different than ours. Oh, certainly we have some overlap in what we two find funny. But for every John Cleese, there's a Russell Brand. Ugh. For each Benny Hill, a...a, oh, what's his name? The so-called, 'comedian,' who created, "The Office." Yawn.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2012, 07:30 AM

I was going to slam Waragainstsleep for liking Friends, but you throw down with Benny Hill?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by kimosABE View Post
As fond as we are of Brits and as fraternal as we two peoples are, I still must point out that you are Foreign. How that matters in this instance is that your humor is a bit different than ours. Oh, certainly we have some overlap in what we two find funny. But for every John Cleese, there's a Russell Brand.
I'm confused ... who are you saying is FOREIGN? English actor John Cleese or English actor Russel Brand? Or, are you saying that John Cleese is an overlap in what you find funny, but the Russel Brand is not?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2012, 08:41 AM

Back to the OT, has Fox shown any sort of accountability here yet? Anybody fired? Any "oops, sorry"? Or even a statement that they don't believe what they did was wrong? Anything?

Or, has Abe decided that putting the life of a US soldier and his family into harm's way is not really much of an issue anymore?

screener
Senior User
Aug 26, 2012, 11:33 AM

Another loon on the right who think's he's brilliant.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by screener View Post
Who are you referring to as being a, "loon on the right who think's [sic] he's brilliant"?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2012, 02:19 PM

As fond as we are of Brits and as fraternal as we two peoples are, I still must point out that you are Foreign. How that matters in this instance is that your humor is a bit different than ours. Oh, certainly we have some overlap in what we two find funny. But for every John Cleese, there's a Russell Brand. Ugh. For each Benny Hill, a...a, oh, what's his name? The so-called, 'comedian,' who created, "The Office." Yawn.
You are thinking of Ricky Gervais with The Office and it was done years before by Mike Judge in an underrated and excellent movie called Office Space. Also Dilbert.

Don't take me for some sort of massive Friends fanatic either. I figured it would be a good example since everyone has seen it. It does have some good moments though. More than Seinfeld as far as I'm concerned.

Its definitely true that humour is different between here and there though. Some of it translates very well but it may surprise you to learn that I don't find Jon Stewart and The Daily Show very funny.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
You are thinking of Ricky Gervais with The Office and it was done years before by Mike Judge in an underrated and excellent movie called Office Space. Also Dilbert.
Don't take me for some sort of massive Friends fanatic either. I figured it would be a good example since everyone has seen it. It does have some good moments though. More than Seinfeld as far as I'm concerned.
Its definitely true that humour is different between here and there though. Some of it translates very well but it may surprise you to learn that I don't find Jon Stewart and The Daily Show very funny.
There's hope for you. And I agree with you about Stewart. He is talented. Clever and snarky. Not really funny, though.

Cold Warrior
Aug 27, 2012, 07:58 AM

screener
Senior User
Aug 27, 2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
You have read this thread right?
Thinking Murdoch is okay because the bad stuff happened in England but really knows only what Fox news says about him. Wow.
The finishing touch, Bush's invasion of Iraq was brilliant, so yeah, loon.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2012, 12:52 PM

You have read this thread right?
Thinking Murdoch is okay because the bad stuff happened in England but really knows only what Fox news says about him. Wow.
The finishing touch, Bush's invasion of Iraq was brilliant, so yeah, loon.
It takes a fine mind to discern satire, self-deprecating humor mixed with the truth.

I'm reminded of someone who actually believes John Stewart is a real journalist.

OMG!

SOME FOLKS GET ALL THEIR NEWS FROM THE DAILY SHOW!!!

It figures.

screener
Senior User
Aug 28, 2012, 10:47 AM

It takes a fine mind to discern satire, self-deprecating humor mixed with the truth.
I'm reminded of someone who actually believes John Stewart is a real journalist.
OMG!
SOME FOLKS GET ALL THEIR NEWS FROM THE DAILY SHOW!!!
It figures.
Brilliant

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2012, 11:24 AM

Brilliant
Does the truth hurt?

EDIT: Even though, to be clear, I wasn't referring to you in my previous post.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2012, 08:27 PM

Any updates here? Has Fox responded to your concerns yet? Have they taken accountability for endangering the lives of this hero and his family? Or, did you receive a memo stating that Fox News was not to be criticized on this (which explains how quickly you backed down on this)?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2012, 06:05 AM

Did someone just say that Seinfeld is not funny?

Ye gads
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2012, 08:34 AM

I tried to watch an ep last night. Couldn't stick with it. I maintain it hasn't aged well. I can see that people might have found it funny in the 90s (I didn't), but it all seemed a bit contrived. I did notice how similar it was to Curb your Enthusiasm, but that ran out of steam years ago too. I think cringe inducing comedy has a shorter shelf life than most.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2012, 09:25 AM

But you just said that you didn't laugh in the first place - I'm entirely unsure why you would start laughing now. And you bring up "Friends" as an example of a better (funnier?) show - the defining "make the obvious joke and get the obvious laugh...always" sitcom.

I maintain that Friends is pretty much on the comedic level of Jay Leno: you know the joke's coming, it's good for a chuckle, but the schtick gets old real quick.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

screener
Senior User
Sep 4, 2012, 09:45 AM

I didn't like any of the characters in Seinfeild.
A bunch of self absorbed selfish 's

andi*pandi
Sep 4, 2012, 10:03 AM

None of the characters on Seinfeld were supposed to be likeable. I think that was the point. Jerry was only slightly better than his friends, who were mean, rude, and selfish as you say.

Friends in comparison had much more silly humor. I've caught reruns lately and have kept watching.

Roseanne is also suprisingly longevic.

Mork and Mindy is cringeworthy. And I used to love that show as a kid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2012, 10:04 AM

I didn't like any of the characters in Seinfeild.
A bunch of self absorbed selfish 's
I thought that was the point.

Edit: scooped!

screener
Senior User
Sep 4, 2012, 10:33 AM

I should have added that was why I didn't like the show.

Forum Links
Forum Rules