Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Why are Republican states consistently daisies and roses?

Why are Republican states consistently daisies and roses?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2012, 03:46 PM

What Republican state doesn't suck, really? What Republican state is worth living in? I don't mean that the Republicanisim sucks, I'm just referring to general appeal. Arizona is awesome to visit (although maybe not if you are Hispanic) but seems to be about it.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2012, 04:12 PM

It's not just Red states.

I mean, have you ever been to Indiana? Who would live there?
You can't even pump your own gas in New Jersey or Oregon.
And in spite of it's political importance, Florida really is America's Wang.

And not all the Red States are trash. I'd live in Austin, if it weren't so hot. And both Kansas Cities are getting Google Fiber.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2012, 07:27 PM

I've been to Tennessee, Alabama and Texas....

Let's just say my experience was "slow motion"

They like to take their time at things, god bless them

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
It's not just Red states.

I mean, have you ever been to Indiana? Who would live there?
You can't even pump your own gas in New Jersey or Oregon.
And in spite of it's political importance, Florida really is America's Wang.
And not all the Red States are trash. I'd live in Austin, if it weren't so hot. And both Kansas Cities are getting Google Fiber.
Obviously what I wrote was not meant to be 100% absolute, but I'd say Indiana is a shithole and it is normally red and probably will be red again for this election. What is bad about Oregon? Florida sucks. Austin is probably quite nice, and Kansas City is supposed to be nice too. I'm sure I'd like Alaska.

Still, you have to admit that red states generally tend to suck.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2012, 11:19 PM

It would be interesting to compare the unemployment rates and numbers in each state and seeing if there's a correlation with the political leanings.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2012, 03:47 AM

New York City, Washington, DC, Chicago, Detroit? ALL crapholes according to several polls from those who travel and visit those crapholes.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2012, 04:18 AM

New York City and Chicago are crapholes???

I'm speechless
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2012, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
New York City and Chicago are crapholes???
I'm speechless
I wouldn't let it keep you up at night, Those polls are probably from Newsbusters.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2012, 05:23 AM

We have to find common ground somewhere. Can we at least get some bipartisan agreement that Detroit sucks?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
It would be interesting to compare the unemployment rates and numbers in each state and seeing if there's a correlation with the political leanings.
Found this. There doesn't seem to be much correlation here.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2012, 01:04 PM

We have to find common ground somewhere. Can we at least get some bipartisan agreement that Detroit sucks?
The Detriot police union does.

Enter At Your Own Risk: Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For Visitors

DETROIT (WWJ) – The men and women of the Detroit Police Department believe the city is too dangerous to enter, and they want citizens to know it.

Detroit Police Officer Association (DPOA) Attorney Donato Iorio said officers are holding the “Enter At Your Own Risk” rally at 3:30 p.m. Saturday in front of Comerica Park to remind the public that the officers are overworked, understaffed, and at times, fearful for their lives.

“Detroit is America’s most violent city, its homicide rate is the highest in the country and yet the Detroit Police Department is grossly understaffed,” Iorio told WWJ’s Kathryn Larson. “The DPOA believes that there is a war in Detroit, but there should be a war on crime, not a war on its officers.”
45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2012, 03:01 PM

Time to build Robocop.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2012, 08:43 PM

No argument from me.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2012, 08:45 PM

You guys know how I jump on the asses of people that make generalizations, so rest assured that this isn't one, but my general rule of thumb: Republican states generally are sucky places to be, and Republican politicians are more likely to make the batshit crazy list we have going on in the other thread.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2012, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You guys know how I jump on the asses of people that make generalizations, so rest assured that this isn't one, but my general rule of thumb: Republican states generally are sucky places to be, and Republican politicians are more likely to make the batshit crazy list we have going on in the other thread.
I don't really view you as one who challenges others for generalizations near as much as I see you making them. i.e. you're not really a champion of fairness in that regard.

For example, you're going out of your way to say something "sucks" without qualifying exactly what it is that makes a state suck. I suspect you can look at Republican vs Democrat cities and come up with similar sucky lists, but I'm not sure why that would be useful either. In the other thread, you've got shills and minions who've been collecting the crazy things said by those of the opposing party because... they're shills and minions with nothing else to do. I mean... unless you don't think several hours of research and reading my favorite, zealous conservative sources wouldn't uncover all kinds of batshit crazy lefty stuff I could direct feed to 'NN.
ebuddy

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2012, 04:11 AM

You don't get it, ebuddy, There are no shills and minions in that thread, people just post stuff in it because there is so much crazy shit going on. If anything, besson3c is my minion, because he started that thread to put forward a theory that I had come up with in another thread. I am the intellectual father of that thread, much like Grover Norquist is the intellectual father of drowning stuff in bathtubs.

Go ahead and post the batshit crazy stuff that Liberals do. There's plenty of it our there. But please submit only genuinely crazy stuff. People have a way around here of mumbling "progressives... taxes.... gays. (Oh My!)" a few times and saying that's why Liberals are crazy. I want some substance! It's out there!

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2012, 05:23 AM

You don't get it, ebuddy, There are no shills and minions in that thread, people just post stuff in it because there is so much crazy shit going on. If anything, besson3c is my minion, because he started that thread to put forward a theory that I had come up with in another thread. I am the intellectual father of that thread, much like Grover Norquist is the intellectual father of drowning stuff in bathtubs.
Go ahead and post the batshit crazy stuff that Liberals do. There's plenty of it our there. But please submit only genuinely crazy stuff. People have a way around here of mumbling "progressives... taxes.... gays. (Oh My!)" a few times and saying that's why Liberals are crazy. I want some substance! It's out there!
Maybe I wasn't very clear. They're not shills and minions because of that thread; they're shills and minions who spend their lives sitting in their tightie-whities in front of a machine reading only from the most visceral-leftist nonsense they can find on a daily basis and are best-served by such a thread. i.e. that thread just calls 'em out of the woodwork.

Yes, liberal craziness is out there. The best way to find it and funnel it through to 'NN is to sit in my tightie-whities all day, digging them out of the covens of conservative intolerance to perpetuate my fantasy that all leftists must think this way... while real life passes me by.

I've decided that thread does not play to my strengths.
ebuddy

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 7, 2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I spent quite a bit of time in Detroit last year. It was no different then from my previous visit several years ago: some parts of town aren't good for visitors, others are great. I'd suggest that there is no major city that lacks this feature, though of course to a greater or lesser extent. There are parts of San Antonio and Austin that I don't visit for the same reason: they are not good for visitors for various reasons.

besson, have you been to Detroit? When? How about Dayton, Cincinnati, Toledo, Chicago, etc.? There are some great parts of each city, and some "not great" parts too. The only major city I've visited where I did not become aware of "the wrong part of town" was Seattle, and I was only there a couple of days...

As for "Republican states" and their crappy status, While Texas is thoroughly painted red, there are a lot of not-red parts of the state, particularly in Central Texas. Austin is so blue it's almost violet, and San Antonio (the heart of the pre-Chavez Hispanic labor movement) is distinctly blue. And while major metro areas like Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth appear to be incredibly red, they are not particularly uncivilized, just "set in their ways." One can go all day without having Republicanism shoved down one's throat. And while we do tend to be a bit laconic here, Texas is a very friendly place, as long as a visitor is friendly too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2012, 06:54 AM

Living in Missouri is awesome. I'm greeted by an assortment of happy cartoon animals every morning and they help me get ready for work.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

screener
Senior User
Oct 7, 2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I've decided that thread does not play to my strengths.

finboy
Oct 7, 2012, 02:31 PM

I think it's more about local politics than who a state voted for in the 2008 presidential election. For example, most of the local politics in NC (where I grew up) was Democrat through the 80s, and they turned it into a sh*thole over a 50- or 60-year period. I've lived all over the country, and I'd much rather live in the red places on the map than the blue places. I don't mind pumping my own gas (Oregon) and I don't like second hand smoke of the tobacco OR hemp kind (Cali).

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2012, 06:37 PM

My theory about Republicans being more likely to make the batshit crazy list is unprovable, which is why it is not my thesis, but it is based around the idea that social conservatives are more likely to be Republican, and there are many batshit crazy among this group.

You have the gay repressed who lambast gay stuff while being gay themselves, your extreme religious folk such as the young Earth type people, and by extension those that are suspicious of science like perhaps your Michelle Bachman types who think that vaccines can make you retarded. There are also the government conspiracy theory nuts like Abe, who isn't all there.

This isn't provable like I said, but it seems pretty sound logic to me.

The reasons for red states being shitholes don't necessarily relate to politics, but just general boredom, lack of culture, etc. I don't think states like Ohio are all that exciting either.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2012, 06:40 PM

Glen, in your list I have spent a good amount of time in Chicago, and some in Cincy. I like both.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2012, 08:34 PM

As a lifelong resident of Chicago I can say with authority there are some major shitholes up in here.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2012, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
As a lifelong resident of Chicago I can say with authority there are some major shitholes up in here.
Chicago has always been interesting to me in its historical segregation and modern day lack of trying to sweep the shithole areas under the rug.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2012, 12:57 PM

http://nation.foxnews.com/detroit/2012/06/01/detroit-men-shoot-each-other-over-kool-aid

Via reddit.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 03:10 AM

My theory about Republicans being more likely to make the batshit crazy list is unprovable, which is why it is not my thesis, but it is based around the idea that social conservatives are more likely to be Republican, and there are many batshit crazy among this group.
You have the gay repressed who lambast gay stuff while being gay themselves, your extreme religious folk such as the young Earth type people, and by extension those that are suspicious of science like perhaps your Michelle Bachman types who think that vaccines can make you retarded. There are also the government conspiracy theory nuts like Abe, who isn't all there.
This isn't provable like I said, but it seems pretty sound logic to me.
The reasons for red states being shitholes don't necessarily relate to politics, but just general boredom, lack of culture, etc. I don't think states like Ohio are all that exciting either.
You're citing the extremes of a political persuasion and using that to craft a general theory about the political persuasion. There are no shortage of conspiracy theorists among the left, but we might be a little removed from the Bush Presidency to recall the problem. There are also no shortages of population control advocates, your extreme atheist folks also bastardizing science to suit, environmentalist whackos who believe Republicans are trying to poison their air and water, animal rights activists, etc...

The difference between the crazy Democrats and crazy Republicans is that the crazy Democrats tend to fare better among their constituency. i.e. Dems support their crazies with more passion, elevating them to higher offices and for extended periods of time.
ebuddy

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 03:49 AM

The difference between the crazy Democrats and crazy Republicans is that the crazy Democrats tend to fare better among their constituency. i.e. Dems support their crazies with more passion, elevating them to higher offices and for extended periods of time.
Actually I have to say that this is completely the opposite of reality. I don't think there is any chance that liberals would install anti-science lunatics on science committees.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 04:24 AM

... elevating them to higher offices and for extended periods of time.
Which means that >51% of the voting population in a given area found them to be less batshit crazy than the other guy.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Actually I have to say that this is completely the opposite of reality. I don't think there is any chance that liberals would install anti-science lunatics on science committees.
No, but they would likely stick a pro-abortionist on a pro-life committee (if such a thing were to ever exist).

There is, without a doubt, crazies on both side of the fence ... they are, after all, politicians.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2012, 04:46 AM

You're citing the extremes of a political persuasion and using that to craft a general theory about the political persuasion. There are no shortage of conspiracy theorists among the left, but we might be a little removed from the Bush Presidency to recall the problem. There are also no shortages of population control advocates, your extreme atheist folks also bastardizing science to suit, environmentalist whackos who believe Republicans are trying to poison their air and water, animal rights activists, etc...
But these people aren't crazy, they're just passionate, emotional twits who misdirect their energies, for the most part.

How would they belong in that thread given their company?

Just admit that when you get to the extreme fringes of the right that it gets pretty terrifying. The extreme fringes of the left is mostly just weird, but not Westboro Baptist frightening. I don't think there is equivalency here. I don't really know why the religious people flock to the right more, I don't see how this is connected to policy in this country, but they do, and religion will always bring out crazy things when you get fanatical about it. You shouldn't feel defensive about this ebuddy, this is just one of those things that is what it is.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Oct 9, 2012, 05:36 AM

These things all correlate with red states: Lack of education. More churches per mile. Hate crimes. Poverty. And if I had to guess, I'd also say popularity of Nascar, Americon Idol, Shitty Beer.

The south sucks.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 07:01 AM

Have some of you even BEEN to the South?

I live in Northwestern Louisiana, a relatively non-descript region of a prototypical Southern state. Our economy is healthy, our home prices are actually increasing, our unemployment rate is low, and our people are some of the nicest people you'll find anywhere. Also, importantly, although racism still exists, there is NOT a massive problem with it here. I work at a multi-cultural church with people from every continent (obviously excluding Australia), and our people genuinely love each other. The homeless community in Shreveport is only around 500 people, yet there are at least four massive shelters downtown, and there are more people from our church going to feed them than there are homeless.

A couple of friends moved here from Ohio two years ago. When their family arrived, they were stunned, saying, "I had no idea it was like this down here. I thought it was like Billy the Exterminator's show."

New Orleans is the most-known Louisiana city with a very distinct culture. I've traveled across the country and never found food like New Orleans food. Katrina cast a horrible light on an amazing city with amazing people. Again...NOT the racist haven that others seem to think. All of Southern Louisiana is unlike anything else in the States -- and no, they're not all like Swamp People.

And not just Louisiana, but Texas, Arkansas (particularly the Northwestern corner of the state), Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina have incredible people (I can't say much about Mississippi, honestly).

Meanwhile, I hated New York City. It smelled like filth, was too crowded, and the people were absolute jerks (for the most part). Washington D.C., incredibly unfriendly.

The only large, left-leaning city that I loved was San Francisco, and even then my wife was physically threatened on the BART by a guy who was upset about who-knows-what, there is a severe homeless problem, and sky-high unemployment rates.

Don't paint the South with a broad brush just because you disagree with their political leanings. Don't judge them for their comparative lack of education, because I'd take a gentlemen with a GED over a jerk with a PHD any day. Don't accuse the entire South of being racists when the entire region is becoming increasingly color-blind (and West/East Coast states have hate crimes reported just as often).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2012, 07:03 AM

Really people? We're allowing and falling for such utter troll titles?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
These things all correlate with red states: Lack of education. More churches per mile. Hate crimes. Poverty. And if I had to guess, I'd also say popularity of Nascar, Americon Idol, Shitty Beer.
The south sucks.
More churches per square mile in the Shreveport / Bossier City region have resulted in one of the most impressive charitable cultures that I've ever seen.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Sadly, yes.

I'm overly defensive over my South, especially concerning the racism bit.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2012, 08:06 AM

And when there are such interesting gardening threads as well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
And when there are such interesting gardening threads as well.
It's been taking willpower not to go in that thread and call you out as the gay old man you obviously are.

screener
Senior User
Oct 9, 2012, 09:28 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2012, 02:48 PM

Just admit that when you get to the extreme fringes of the right that it gets pretty terrifying. The extreme fringes of the left is mostly just weird, but not Westboro Baptist frightening.
Communism is just "weird"?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2012, 03:37 PM

Communism is just "weird"?
No, but there are few if any actual communists in this country. I meant the extreme right/left of this country, not in general philosophical terms.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 03:55 PM

It's been taking willpower not to go in that thread and call you out as the gay old man you obviously are.
Dude, stop it! I can't take you lately... I'm peeing my pants in laughter for crying out loud.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 04:10 PM

No, but there are few if any actual communists in this country. I meant the extreme right/left of this country, not in general philosophical terms.
Wait. What the heck just happened? Between your response to me and this, you're essentially neutering any appreciable difference between right & left... with the exception of the narrow criteria you've offered in this thread. There is no extreme or threat more meaningful or noteworthy than the other besson. I mean, you have absolutely zero to substantiate -- nothing.
ebuddy

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2012, 05:38 PM

Wuh?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2012, 05:56 PM

Wait. What the heck just happened? Between your response to me and this, you're essentially neutering any appreciable difference between right & left... with the exception of the narrow criteria you've offered in this thread. There is no extreme or threat more meaningful or noteworthy than the other besson. I mean, you have absolutely zero to substantiate -- nothing.
Threat?

I honestly have no idea what you mean here, care to help me decipher this?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2012, 05:58 PM

Wuh?
You asked if communism is "just weird", and I'm assuming you were asking this in the general framework, rather than in consideration of the people of this country?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2012, 06:51 PM

You asked if communism is "just weird", and I'm assuming you were asking this in the general framework, rather than in consideration of the people of this country?
You are incorrect in that assumption, or are trolling me.

And I'm not talking about "Obama's a communist" bullshit either. I'm talking about people who self-identify as communists.

You're honestly not aware these people exist?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2012, 07:00 PM

You are incorrect in that assumption, or are trolling me.
And I'm not talking about "Obama's a communist" bullshit either. I'm talking about people who self-identify as communists.
You're honestly not aware these people exist?
I'm aware they exist, but I would say their numbers are inconsequentially small

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2012, 07:15 PM

As opposed to the WBC?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2012, 07:32 PM

As opposed to the WBC?
I get your point. If I just kept my point general enough to reference general diehard fundies as being a scary bunch would you have replied the same way? I just used the WBC cause they were the scariest bunch that came to mind. You could substitute the Koran burning dude's church, the Young Earth/creation museum type crowd, and any other group like them. Obviously many would dispute the label "crazy", and of course there is no way of tallying the total number of diehard fundies vs. communists, so maybe my point is sucky, but at least you know what I was thinking now if you didn't before.

Forum Links
Forum Rules