Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro -- Should I wait?

MacBook Pro -- Should I wait?
WeaponII
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2008, 02:32 PM

Hey all, a Mac newbie here... used to own a PowerMac G5, but sold it due to "financial trouble". Now I cry myself to sleep every night because nothing has taken it's place.

(Joke, ha...)

Fast forward to now, where I am seriously looking into getting another Mac. So serious that I may just switch completely.

Around this time each year I'm usually looking into newer PC parts, building myself a new machine, and then parting ways with the old (selling it, dumpster/recycle, etc.) This year I decided I'd save a little and go with a Mac. When I say "save", I mean I'm really looking into keeping this PC for longer than a year. I hear most folks only upgrade every 3-5 years anyways.

Moving on... I also decided instead of getting a desktop model, I'd like to get a notebook replacement. I hear the MacBook Pro is the way to go if I was looking for a workhorse. Would you guys agree?

Doing a little research I hear that Intel is (or plans to) release the new "Centrino 2" platform (Montevina), and it will likely be implemented in the Mac this Fall. Exactly how accurate is this statement? If it is true, should I wait until then? If not, would you recommend going with the current models available? Also, is there anything I should be on the lookout for in terms of pricing, etc?

Let me know if nothing makes sense... hopefully I can explain things a little further.

Thanks.

abeato6
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2008, 04:24 PM

Well, I personally think that if you really want a MacBook Pro this might be the time to get one, the last revision was back in February, not so long ago. Anyway I don't see another revision coming for a couple of months so it's up to you whether you want to wait or not.
MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
WD My Book Premium Edition 500GB
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 09:51 PM

It's unlikely Apple will implement Centrino 2/Montevina; they've shown zero interest in using Intel's wifi chips. They will implement the new chipset, Cantiga, probaby 1-2 months after it's released next month (following historical trends). It's not a dramatic upgrade, but the one place it really helps for machine longevity is raising the memory ceiling to 8GB.

WeaponII  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It's unlikely Apple will implement Centrino 2/Montevina; they've shown zero interest in using Intel's wifi chips. They will implement the new chipset, Cantiga, probaby 1-2 months after it's released next month (following historical trends). It's not a dramatic upgrade, but the one place it really helps for machine longevity is raising the memory ceiling to 8GB.
Doesn't Cantiga use DDR3 though (last I heard)? If so, do 4GB DDR3 modules for notebooks exist, and are they cheap?

roller
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2008, 12:01 PM

There are a few "when to buy" guides out there that you might check. Here is one of them:

Buyer's Guide
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by WeaponII View Post
Doesn't Cantiga use DDR3 though (last I heard)? If so, do 4GB DDR3 modules for notebooks exist, and are they cheap?
Cantiga supports DDR2 (667, 800 MHz) and DDR3 (800, 1067, 1333 MHz). We will have to wait and see which type of SO-DIMM Apple actually uses.

In any event 4 GB DIMMs are and will be expensive for some time. But as more people migrate to Cantiga systems and demand for the 4 GB SO-DIMMs increases, prices will come down just like the once expensive 2 GB SO-DIMMs did.

In any event 4 GB is fine for most mobile applications today. The 8 GB RAM option is interesting for future-proofing (increased RAM ceiling). And by the time 8 GB actual RAM usage becomes a relevant issue, I'm sure 4 GB SO-DIMMs will be widely available and affordable.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 01:39 PM

If so, do 4GB DDR3 modules for notebooks exist, and are they cheap?
Are there any notebooks that support DDR3? No.
I'd predict 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMMs will exist shortly after the Centrino 2 launch (for ~$500), and be about $100 in a year.

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Cantiga supports DDR2 (667, 800 MHz) and DDR3 (800, 1067, 1333 MHz). We will have to wait and see which type of SO-DIMM Apple actually uses.
Given their Intel-based history (667Mhz DDR2 when many were pushing 533Mhz DDR2, overclocked 800Mhz DDR2 with Crestline in the iMac, 800Mhz FB-DIMM when many are pushing 667Mhz), I think it's a safe assumption they'll go with DDR3 (likely 1067Mhz in the portables and 1333Mhz in the iMacs).

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2008, 12:43 PM

I hear the MacBook Pro is the way to go if I was looking for a workhorse. Would you guys agree?
Yes, absolutely. The MBP provides Firewire800, an EC/34 slot, available matte display (Glossy displays add saturation and contrast to images. Although many consumers like the extra added "pop" most graphics pros do not want their displays to add anything to work images.), more screen real estate, way more pixels and much stronger graphics support. Personally after years of 14-15" laptops I find that the extra pixels and screen real estate of the 17" size rocks.

...Doing a little research I hear that Intel is (or plans to) release the new "Centrino 2" platform (Montevina), and it will likely be implemented in the Mac this Fall. Exactly how accurate is this statement? If it is true, should I wait until then? If not, would you recommend going with the current models available?
Yes new MBPs are likely in the fall. Existing MBPs are already excellent, but a new model release will lower prices. Whether to wait or not depends on how badly you need a new box now. If Mark is correct and the laptop RAM limit is raised to 8 GB, that would be a huge improvement for folks like me who run graphics apps.

Also, is there anything I should be on the lookout for in terms of pricing, etc?
Yes:
• Max out RAM. Do not buy RAM or hard drives from Apple. A good source is Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC.
• When available, Refurbished models are usually an excellent choice so long as you inspect them carefully.
Small Dog Electronics | Small Dog Electronics - New and Refurbished Apple / Mac Computers is a good online computer vendor.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jun 25, 2008 at 12:49 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2008, 02:00 PM

...4 GB is fine for most mobile applications today. The 8 GB RAM option is interesting for future-proofing (increased RAM ceiling). And by the time 8 GB actual RAM usage becomes a relevant issue...
Although 4 GB indeed is fine for most mobile applications today, for heavy graphics apps (Aperture, Photoshop, etc.) users 8 GB RAM has been a relevant issue for years now. What I dream of is upgrading my 2.33 GHz, 3 GB max RAM 17" MBP to a 17" MBP with 8 or more GB RAM, one SSD plus a large internal hard drive. That would rock.

-Allen Wicks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Yes, absolutely. The MBP provides Firewire800, an EC/34 slot, available matte display (Glossy displays add saturation and contrast to images. Although many consumers like the extra added "pop" most graphics pros do not want their displays to add anything to work images.)
In the same sense, the matte display coating takes away saturation and contrast from images if the room you're in has any light sources because it diffracts the light over regions of the display.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 11:35 PM

If you are a student, you should buy before the "free iPod touch with any Mac" promo expires. Unfortunately, Apple likes to release new computers shortly after these very tempting "sales".

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Unfortunately, Apple likes to release new computers shortly after these very tempting "sales".
Other way around. Apple has these "tempting sales" to clear out inventory before they release new stuff.

calverson
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2008, 06:54 AM

Although 4 GB indeed is fine for most mobile applications today, for heavy graphics apps (Aperture, Photoshop, etc.) users 8 GB RAM has been a relevant issue for years now. What I dream of is upgrading my 2.33 GHz, 3 GB max RAM 17" MBP to a 17" MBP with 8 or more GB RAM, one SSD plus a large internal hard drive. That would rock.

-Allen Wicks
I seem to be okay with my Macbook Pro 1.8GHZ Core Duo, 2GB RAM, I am a professional designer and I use InDesign, Dreamweaver and Photoshop a lot, and I can run all of those at the same time without to much slowdown. That is CS3, though... older versions under Rosetta SUCK!!!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 07:37 AM

-Allen Wicks
I could be wrong, but isn't it only the Mac Pro that can use/see/benefit from more than 3G of RAM?

A Guide to MacBook RAM Upgrades

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I could be wrong, but isn't it only the Mac Pro that can use/see/benefit from more than 3G of RAM?

A Guide to MacBook RAM Upgrades
You are wrong. In that very thread you linked to I already pointed out which MBs and MBPs can make full use of 4 GB RAM.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 11:40 AM

You are wrong. In that very thread you linked to I already pointed out which MBs and MBPs can make full use of 4 GB RAM.
Sorry, one of the posters talked about 8G in their MacBook Pro.

I blame the heat - it 30°C in our office today.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Sorry, one of the posters talked about 8G in their MacBook Pro.
The current MB(P) can make use of up to 4 GB RAM.

The next MBP however will likely push that to 8 GB. We won't know until it's here for sure, but the chipset Apple will use (Cantiga) will in principle offer support for 8 GB.

hokie17
Jun 26, 2008, 07:44 PM

This thread brings up another question in my mind. My MBP is serving me well, but there's two things I want out of a new MBP before I even think about upgrading.

1) The MB style chicklet keyboard

2) Blu-ray

Anyone have any insight on when/if that might happen?
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 10:56 PM

No one who knows is talking.
A case redesign with a new keyboard could happen at any time, it's Apple's choice.
With regard to BluRay, Apple shows little interest in implementing it; they'd rather push their own DRM'd downloads.

hokie17
Jun 26, 2008, 11:42 PM

I actually tend to agree on the Blu Ray thing / iTunes downloads. I don't even have an HDTV so this would be something that might finally get me on the HD bandwagon. If I ever do get an HDTV, I'll probably get both ATV and PS3. But that's a long time off from now.

Otherwise my next computer might very well be a MacBook Air. The only reason I use a MBP over a MB is the GPU for gaming, and I do less and less of that nowadays. Right now I'm hooked on NASCAR 09 for the 360.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

Forum Links
Forum Rules