Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > LOLing @ Caroline Kennedy

LOLing @ Caroline Kennedy
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2009, 01:41 PM

I'm really impressed that Gov. Patterson resisted the temptation to further reward the Kennedy family with an unjustifiable appointment of Caroline Kennedy to the Senate. She seems to have thought that it was her birthright to go to the Senate just because of her father and that last name. Then when she realized that she didn't stand a chance to get appointed, she came up with the hella-lame excuse that she was dropping out due to concern over her uncle Ted's health. Sorry, that's the lamest BS story I think I've ever heard in my life. I also give Patterson credit for appointing a moderate Democrat instead.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2009, 01:50 PM

I really don't understand the fascination with the Kennedys. Especially all the bullshit about how Caroline magically had some relevant experience. Personally, I really don't give a **** if a Senate candidate has experience or not, but let's not try and pretend it exists when it doesn't.
( Last edited by nonhuman; Jan 23, 2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: I can't believe I made such a stupid apostrophe error...)

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2009, 01:50 PM

"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2009, 01:54 PM

Patterson was remarkably candid about his process to determine his appointment: Of course, the person who he will appoint will have to be qualified to fill the position effectively. But this person will also be running for election on the same ballot as he will in 2010, and he wanted to pick someone who would stand a good chance of being elected, as well as someone who might boost his own chances. So although he did, in part, make the appointment for political reasons, he also picked a good candidate who will serve the State much more effectively than Kennedy would have.

I didn't think Hillary was qualified when she first ran in 2000 (and, as a result, did not vote for her) -- and Hillary had quite a few more credentials than Caroline Kennedy, so you can imagine what I think of her. Hopefully, she doesn't decide to enter politics again, at least without the benefit of actually campaigning and proving she has the qualifications first.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2009, 01:57 PM

Actually the New York Times story I read about Caroline Kennedy's decision to drop out make it appear as though Patterson has been just about set to give her the appointment, and her decision sent his office into a tizzy. So I wouldn't congratulate Patterson on "resisting" anything, other than to let the process play out a bit.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2009, 01:59 PM

She is yet another Democrat who ran into illegal alien nanny problems, actually. So she recused herself.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Actually the New York Times story I read about Caroline Kennedy's decision to drop out make it appear as though Patterson has been just about set to give her the appointment, and her decision sent his office into a tizzy. So I wouldn't congratulate Patterson on "resisting" anything, other than to let the process play out a bit.
Do you have a link to that in the NYT, and who said it? I'm not sure if this is accurate. At least, I'd be surprised if this came form a source close to Paterson (rather than a source close to Kennedy)....

Edit: I have read that the withdrawl caught Paterson off-guard, but nothing to suggest she was the front-runner....

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2009, 04:29 PM

"That Others May Live"

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Do you have a link to that in the NYT, and who said it? I'm not sure if this is accurate. At least, I'd be surprised if this came form a source close to Paterson (rather than a source close to Kennedy)....

Edit: I have read that the withdrawl caught Paterson off-guard, but nothing to suggest she was the front-runner....
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/ny...nedy&st=Search

On second-read, I may have read too much into the article, but certainly a few of Patterson's close associates thought she was the clear front-runner, and his office basically sent out a "wait, are you sure?" feeler to her after she decided to withdraw.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/ny...nedy&st=Search

On second-read, I may have read too much into the article, but certainly a few of Patterson's close associates thought she was the clear front-runner, and his office basically sent out a "wait, are you sure?" feeler to her after she decided to withdraw.
Interesting. But it seems to me that she was only the clear front-runner because of all the folks who were trying to build up a sense of inevitability around her. Even in the article, the reaction of Paterson's friend wasn't "She would make a good Senator", but "The rest of the Democrats in this state will be pissed if she's not picked".

I believe that Paterson's office may have sent a "Wait, are you sure?" message, but internally they were saying "This is great! Now we won't get any flak when we pick someone else!"

thechidz
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2009, 05:15 PM

yeah it would be nice to get rid of the ridiculous patriarchy within the US Government (Bush Family)
Bow chicka bow-wow

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2009, 05:23 PM

No more patriarchy in the Bush Family than there was in the Adams Family (John and John Quincy), or the Harrison Family (Benjamin and William Henry).

Put your derangement away.
"That Others May Live"

thechidz
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Macrobat View Post
No more patriarchy in the Bush Family than there was in the Adams Family (John and John Quincy), or the Harrison Family (Benjamin and William Henry).

Put your derangement away.
yes true. my observation is deranged.
Do you know that most people hate people like you
Bow chicka bow-wow

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2009, 08:06 PM

My last name is Kennedy, where's my damn Senate seat?

Railroader
Banned
Jan 23, 2009, 08:26 PM

I thought that was your only name, like that goofy MTV chick.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Interesting. But it seems to me that she was only the clear front-runner because of all the folks who were trying to build up a sense of inevitability around her. Even in the article, the reaction of Paterson's friend wasn't "She would make a good Senator", but "The rest of the Democrats in this state will be pissed if she's not picked".
But that's kind of the only part that matters...

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2009, 08:28 PM

I've read up on a bunch of the commentary since the appointment, and I see a pretty interesting trend developing. There are plenty of folks who don't like the appointment, and those folks are already saying they don't like Gillibrand's lack of experience.

But they're lying: they know that Gillibrand's single term in Congress is more legislative experience than Caroline Kennedy or Andrew Cuomo, and her legal and financial background is well-suited to representing New York in the Senate.

The big problem is that she's an upstate Democrat. New York City politicians of all flavors are generally more liberal than their upstate counterparts. Since Gillibrand is a centrist upstate Democrat, that probably puts her to the right of most New York City Republicans. So from the point of view of half the state (and probably the rest of the country as well), Paterson has effectively pushed the Senate to the right a little bit.

But it's really the only logical choice he could have made, from the perspective of his election, since it could help him with the vote in the Albany area, which Gillibrand represented in Congress. It could very well make the difference in a close election. Remember that Paterson took over for Spitzer: he ran as Lt. Governor, which in New York State is a post that literally does nothing unless the sitting Governor can no longer serve. He has never run his own campaign for Governor, and I think he'll need all the help he can get....

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2009, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
yeah it would be nice to get rid of the ridiculous patriarchy within the US Government (Bush Family)
If there's anybody who can put an end to these political dynasties, it's a Kennedy.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
yes true. my observation is deranged.
Do you know that most people hate people like you
Do you know that I could give two shites what "most" people do? Life is not a popularity contest.

Besides, you have a statistic you can post?

Just because you didn't research enough to know that the Bush family is not the first, nor the second to have multiple members hold the Presidency and posted with your BDS hanging out?
"That Others May Live"

Forum Links
Forum Rules