Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > overclocking

overclocking
pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2006, 08:31 PM

is it possible to overclock a Core 2 Duo chip on a mac? i dont know much about PC overclocking other than needing to change bios settings etc.. is this achievable on mac and how? i've heard some ppl have achieved a 40% speed increase on PC!!
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 29, 2006, 12:00 AM

Nope.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

pyrite  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Nope.
dam that sucks
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2006, 12:51 AM

That 40% increase those PC users got wasn't all gain. It seriously shortens the life of your computer and generates an enormous amount of heat. Doing this in a notebook or iMac would be sheer stupidity unless you liquid-cooled it. Even then, your system would lose warranty and become very unstable.

Even if you find a way, I highly recommend avoiding it.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

classof2011
Dec 30, 2006, 07:48 PM

Sorry, but will someone explain to me what overclocking is?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by classof2011 View Post
Sorry, but will someone explain to me what overclocking is?
At its simplest level, you're telling the chip to run at a higher rate than it is set at originally. Some chips run fine at higher speeds, and some do not. It's believed that some chip manufacturers produce an single chip and clock it at different speeds for different price points, so you can buy the cheaper chip and overclock it to the higher speed.
It won't necessarily "seriously" shorten the chips life, but it does have the potential to lower it. The heat produced by a chip increase exponentially with MHz so overclocking a chip from 2.0GHz to 4.0GHz doesn't double the heat output, it squares it. The most serious overclockers go with a liquid cooling system, but often times a good fan system will suffice.
A major factor in life reduction usually comes from increasing the core voltage of the chip so that it doesn't lock up, but this is only usually required if you're going for higher numbers.
Overclocking a fanless device like the mini wouldn't be smart because there's no way to compensate for the additional heat. The notebooks would have a hard time due to small fans, same with the iMac (does it have fans?). A lot more info can be found at Overclocking.net.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2006, 11:55 PM

iMacs and Mac minis have fans.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
... That aren't designed to dissipate the kind of heat that would be generated from a 40% increase in clock-speed.

onlyone-jc.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by onlyone-jc View Post
... That aren't designed to dissipate the kind of heat that would be generated from a 40% increase in clock-speed.

onlyone-jc.
True, but they are designed to dissipate (at least on the iMac) up to 2.16 GHz worth of heat. You could probably safely overclock the 1.83 GHz chip in the 17" iMac up to 2.16 GHz without any serious risk. Assuming it were possible on the iMac motherboard which, unfortunately, it is not.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
True, but they are designed to dissipate (at least on the iMac) up to 2.16 GHz worth of heat. You could probably safely overclock the 1.83 GHz chip in the 17" iMac up to 2.16 GHz without any serious risk. Assuming it were possible on the iMac motherboard which, unfortunately, it is not.
It all depends on the chip. I'd be curious to know if the 1.83 runs at the same temperatures as a 2.16 with similar fan speeds. If so, overclocking would overwork the fans.
(thanks mitchell for the clarification on fans)

classof2011
Jan 14, 2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
At its simplest level, you're telling the chip to run at a higher rate than it is set at originally. Some chips run fine at higher speeds, and some do not. It's believed that some chip manufacturers produce an single chip and clock it at different speeds for different price points, so you can buy the cheaper chip and overclock it to the higher speed.
It won't necessarily "seriously" shorten the chips life, but it does have the potential to lower it. The heat produced by a chip increase exponentially with MHz so overclocking a chip from 2.0GHz to 4.0GHz doesn't double the heat output, it squares it. The most serious overclockers go with a liquid cooling system, but often times a good fan system will suffice.
A major factor in life reduction usually comes from increasing the core voltage of the chip so that it doesn't lock up, but this is only usually required if you're going for higher numbers.
Overclocking a fanless device like the mini wouldn't be smart because there's no way to compensate for the additional heat. The notebooks would have a hard time due to small fans, same with the iMac (does it have fans?). A lot more info can be found at Overclocking.net.
Well if you mean mac mini, I had one and it had some sort of fan inside of it
Black Macbook C2D/200GB HD/2GB RAM/Superdrive
Black 80GB iPod Video
Nintendo Wii + Twilight Princess

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
(thanks mitchell for the clarification on fans)
Originally Posted by classof2011 View Post
Well if you mean mac mini, I had one and it had some sort of fan inside of it
Got it.

(check the signature guidelines, yours is too big)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2007, 09:01 PM

A CPU can be looked at as a very complicated circuit or collection of circuits. Because it does so many things at once (sometimes in different stages of the circuits or pipeline, sometimes in separate parts), almost all of its work is precisely synchronised by a clock. If the different parts of the chip get out of sync with each other, it will crash. Speeding up the clock will cause all parts of the chip to process their respective tasks faster, but more heat is generated and more strain is put on the microscopic components. Heat increases resistance, other electrical properties can be altered by the increased heat and speed of the system. Current is more likely to 'leak'. All these things will cause the CPU to operate unreliably. Heat is the main cause of problems. If you ever try to run a G4 chip without a heatsink, it will literally burn up. And it won't take long either.

The same models of chip are the same design, but some test better at higher speeds than other. This is what is known as the yield. The manufacturer will get a yield of so many chips per wafer that run at top speed (happy at 2.33 in the case of the C2D), so many will only run 2.16, some 2.0 etc. When a chip is a new design, typically the yield is what controls the overclocking potential of any chip you buy. If a chip has been in production for longer, the process will have been refined all the way along and the yield will be higher. Some faster chips may then end up clocked down to meet orders. These are the ones you hope to get if you want good results at overclocking.

jdrumstik
Jan 31, 2007, 09:09 PM

May I mention that OCing the ATI Card works very well seeing as on the MBP CD anyways, Apple under clocked the X1600 to 400/400. Although I only know how to do this in windows with 3rd party apps. But works well for games

kick52
Baninated
Feb 1, 2007, 02:22 PM

try ATIccelerator.

Forum Links
Forum Rules