Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Masters in Computer Science, Anyone?

Masters in Computer Science, Anyone?
tavilach
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 03:23 AM

Does anyone have an MS in CS? From where? Did you find the experience to be worthwhile?

I have a good understanding of the benefits (and the drawbacks) of getting an MS in CS, but I'd really like to hear some actual experiences.

Thanks .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2007, 05:17 PM

Yes; RPI; not really

hope that helps

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2007, 05:42 PM

Not yet - still working on it; Walden; Yes - I teach computer science.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 07:04 PM

Damnit, guys. This isn't really helping my situation :-P.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2007, 07:52 PM

I got the degree, learned a couple new tricks, maybe got a slightly higher salary, but can't say it's been particularly worthwhile for my career. I enjoyed the courses though. Overall it was an easy choice for me because my employer paid for it, otherwise I don't think that getting an MS in CS is worth the investment unless you want to specialize in something.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 08:15 PM

Thanks, itai. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get mine, because it will only take me a year, and I think I'll really enjoy it (regardless of whether or not it boosts my career options). I'm trying to finalize my decision, and I'm definetely interested in hearing more experiences!

mindwaves
Mar 26, 2007, 01:12 AM

My friend has one from USC. Although she doesn't really do CS work at her work, just the fact that she has a MS CS helped her in the door plus whatever extra pay that it entails.

Forum Links
Forum Rules