Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Aperture 2 is out - $199 in both Canada and the US

Aperture 2 is out - $199 in both Canada and the US
Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 10:25 AM

Apple Releases Aperture 2

US$199
CAD$199

or $99 for the upgrade.

Apple® today introduced Aperture™ 2, the next major release of its groundbreaking photo editing and management software with over 100 new features that make it faster, easier to use and more powerful. With a streamlined user interface and entirely new image processing engine, Aperture 2 also introduces new imaging tools for highlight recovery, color vibrancy, local contrast definition, soft-edged retouching, vignetting and RAW fine-tuning, and lets users directly post their portfolios on the .Mac Web Gallery* for viewing on the web, iPhone™, iPod® touch and Apple TV®. At a new low price of $199, anyone can easily organize, edit and publish photos like a pro.

Featuring a new, easier user interface designed to be more intuitive and accessible, Aperture 2 now lets users navigate between Viewer and Browser modes with a single key command. Screen real estate is maximized for images with an all-in-one heads up display that allows users to toggle between library, metadata and adjustment controls in a single tabbed inspector. The All Projects view, modeled after iPhoto’s Events view, provides a poster photo for every project and the ability to quickly skim through the photos inside, and the integrated iPhoto® Browser offers direct access to all the events and images in the iPhoto library.

Performance has been enhanced in Aperture 2 so it’s faster to import, browse and search large volumes of images. Embedded previews let photographers caption, keyword and rate images as they are being imported, and with the ability to export images in the background, photographers can continue working while images are processed to JPEG, TIFF, PNG and PSD file formats. Quick Preview allows users to browse RAW images in rapid succession without having to wait for files to load, and the Aperture library database has been re-architected to provide fast project switching and near instantaneous search results, even when working with extremely large libraries of 500,000 images or more.

Aperture 2 delivers powerful new imaging tools for getting the most out of each photograph. Apple’s next-generation RAW image processing is at the core of Aperture 2 offering uncompromising image quality and precision controls that let users fine-tune the image profile for each of their cameras. New tools for improving and enhancing images include Recovery for pulling back “blown” highlights, Vibrancy for selectively boosting saturation without adversely affecting skin tones, Definition, which offers local contrast for adding clarity to images, Vignette & Devignette filters for providing professional visual effects and a true soft-edged Repair and Retouch brush for quickly and easily removing blemishes, cleaning up sensor dust and cloning away problem areas.

P.S. Does anyone have the Canadian educational pricing? I just get this when I go to the educational store:

The item you have selected is currently not available from the Apple Store.

Please note that Apple cannot guarantee availability of any product.

OreoCookie
Feb 12, 2008, 10:26 AM

Look at the time stamp of my thread and compare it with yours
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Look at the time stamp of my thread and compare it with yours
Heh. I had my browser window open though for about 5 minutes, while I was gathering info.

Anyways, I'm glad Apple is now pricing at least some of their products in Canada at par with the US.

I hope the speed really is faster. Aperture isn't lightning fast on even dual-core Intel iMacs with fast GPUs.

OreoCookie
Feb 12, 2008, 10:33 AM

I ordering my copy asap. Just the better book layout tools will be worth it to me.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 10:45 AM

I downloaded the trail but the site is still sending out 1.5 serial numbers which (for me at least) are not working in the Aperture 2 installer.

edit. It's giving out version 2 serial numbers now.
( Last edited by mdc; Feb 12, 2008 at 11:01 AM. )

OreoCookie
Feb 12, 2008, 11:05 AM

Strange.
Here, it's still downloading 1.5.6.

Anyone wants to share his first impressions with the rest of us?

Edit: It works fine now. I like what I see so far. A few shortcuts have been changed, but I'm sure I'll adapt quickly
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Feb 12, 2008 at 11:25 AM. )

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 12:25 PM

Any luck with importing your 1.5 library OreoCookie ?

EDIT: I'm restoring from a Vault now. Seems to be working. Opening the 1.5 library in 2.0 does NOT work here. Nor does it for most (if not all) people over at Apple's discussion forums.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

OreoCookie
Feb 12, 2008, 12:36 PM

I don't have my external HD with me, but I'll give it a try tonight.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Any luck with importing your 1.5 library OreoCookie ?

EDIT: I'm restoring from a Vault now. Seems to be working. Opening the 1.5 library in 2.0 does NOT work here. Nor does it for most (if not all) people over at Apple's discussion forums.
That's strange. I guess I'll let you guys be the guinea pigs.

I'm not in any particular rush anyway. My primary licenced copy is at work, and it takes a while for them to approve any new purchases anyway, and it's not as if I need to have it on my home computer today.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 01:01 PM

I have the academic version, does anyone know if I need to buy the full version or can I purchase the upgrade. I'm no longer going to night school, so I don't qualify for the academic versions any more.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 01:03 PM

Academic versions can't be upgraded AFAIK.

PS: about the library thing. It seems that your original 1.5.6 library dies when trying to open it in 1.5.6 again (after trying to open it in 2.0). A possible solution is trashing the 1.5.6 prefs. Can't confirm it that works for everybody.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Academic versions can't be upgraded AFAIK.
If I was a betting man, I'd say that's the case but Adobe let me to upgrade my CS3 from my academic version CS so I'm hoping

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 01:24 PM

Update: the Vault restore was succesfull and Aperture asked me to relanch. So I clicked the relaunch button. But Aperture asked me AGAIN to create a new trial library.

The current consensus: the Aperture 2.0 Trial does NOT work with older libraries. Contrary to what Apple claims in their documentation. Is it a bug or a feature? It's damn annoying that's for sure.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 01:27 PM

hmmm... 2 things, why is the academic volume license copy 159 and the academic regular 179?
so i get 4 more licenses for 20 less dollars?

does anyone know if you can download the full version if you buy it or do you have to wait for it too be shipped?

I work for BOA and the corp pricing is Aperture 162.50 and volume licensing 159
am i missing something with the volume licensing? or is that 159 per seat?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 01:54 PM

I think its per seat.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 02:20 PM

thanks, i looked closer and it is per seat, does anyone know if I buy it will i get my downloadable version and serial number immediately?

OreoCookie
Feb 13, 2008, 05:21 AM

I've toyed with the new color correction options, I love them! I've put in my order this morning (as early as possible), it's supposed to be here next Monday

It's an early birthday present

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2008, 07:19 AM

Yup, A2 rocks. The coolest feature is the least talked about though: a plug in API that enables plugins that can edit your images. Bring on that noiseware/noiseninja plugin ! (they haven't released an SDK, yet)

OreoCookie
Feb 13, 2008, 08:21 AM

Wow, great, I didn't know about that. I've placed my order this morning, my copy should arrive on Monday or Tuesday!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 10:38 AM

Aperture 2 Overview and new features Part 1 of 2 - Aperture Users Professional Network

Tethered camera support is nice. I wonder if I can work this into my workplace's setup, as we take a lot of pix of items at one table for documentation purposes.

( Last edited by Eug; Feb 13, 2008 at 11:16 AM. )

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2008, 11:13 AM

I paid for the upgrade and the order status reads that I was sent the serial number electronically. This has not been done nor is there a download. I was then told by an Apple tech that they are having problems. No further info after 24 hours more. They said they would call me back. They also said that there is an issue with importing the photos into 2.0, so wait for now.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 11:25 AM

Is there a list somewhere that indicates which cameras support tethering in Aperture?

All I can find is this and this:

Tethered shooting support

Connect a supported camera directly to your Mac via FireWire or USB, controlling it using the Tether HUD. Aperture saves captured images in a selected project and displays them onscreen, allowing you to review them and make lighting or other changes before committing to the shot.

Aperture 2 offers the option to shoot tethered, meaning that images are captured directly to your computer. Not all cameras support tethered shooting, and those that do may need to be set up in different ways in order to enable this functionality. Consult with your camera's documentation for specifics on settings. Different cameras from the same manufacturer may vary in regards to each of the following points:

* Aperture uses a standard protocol for tethered shooting. Some cameras use proprietary protocols, and may only support tethered shooting with their own software.
* Some cameras may need to be set to a specific storage protocol to allow tethered shooting. In some cases, tethered shooting may only work in PTP mode, in other cases, USB Mass Storage may be required.
* Some cameras support both remote computer control and camera control of the shutter when shooting tethered, others may only support one or the other.
* For best results, use Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. Some cameras require Leopard to support tethered shooting.

There is also this Tethering tutorial. It just mentions Nikon and Canon dSLRs but doesn't say which ones. My workplace uses a Canon 20D so there's hope...
( Last edited by Eug; Feb 13, 2008 at 11:31 AM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 12:27 PM

I just tested it with my Nikon D50 and it works. I had to change the USB mode from M to PTP in the camera settings.

It's really neat. A second or so after you take a photo it shows up in Aperture.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I just tested it with my Nikon D50 and it works. I had to change the USB mode from M to PTP in the camera settings.

It's really neat. A second or so after you take a photo it shows up in Aperture.
What are M vs PTP?

P.S. I'm amused that tethering works that super-pro camera, the iPhone.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 12:54 PM

According to the d50 manual, M is Mass Storage Mode and PTP is Picture Transfer Protocol.
When I had the USB in M Aperture recognized it but I could not operate the camera since it said it was connected to a computer. Changing it to PTP let me operate the camera while it was connected to my Mac and thus Aperture was able to pull photos and (by click capture in Aperture) take photos with the camera.

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2008, 01:09 PM

'Just heard from Apple. They said to wait for a 2.0 real serial number, do not open it with a trial serial number. Then the upgrade should work correctly, moving over your library.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
'Just heard from Apple. They said to wait for a 2.0 real serial number, do not open it with a trial serial number. Then the upgrade should work correctly, moving over your library.
Good to know, and that does make sense in retrospect.

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I just tested it with my Nikon D50 and it works.
What OS? Apparently tethering doesn't work properly with some cameras in Tiger.

P.S. Apparently the Canon 20D works in Leopard (which is good for me since I have the 20D), but the Canon 40D does NOT (yet).

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 04:16 PM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2008, 08:56 PM

Holy hell. I am in love. I was pretty with Aperture 1.5.x, but now I might never need to visit Photoshop again for 90% of my images! I love you Apple, be my valentine!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

OreoCookie
Feb 15, 2008, 09:42 AM

Woot, I've received my copy today!
Although I found the first bug already (text boxes in books cannot be arranged anymore (i. e. send back or forward). Definition, vibrancy and blackpoint are awesome.

One feature I haven't heard of, but that is 100 % relevant: being able to use the German localization with English keyboard shortcuts (I prefer US keyboards, but German localization, now I can have the best of both worlds!). Thanks, Apple!

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 12:23 PM

how would ya'll rate it so far?
i am thinking of buying, but not sure if it is work the $$$ yet or not.

OreoCookie
Feb 15, 2008, 01:05 PM

I'll give it a more extensive spin this weekend. I like the demo so far. It's noticeably faster than Aperture 1.5.6 and I like the new color enhancement options a lot
The upgrade was a no-brainer for me

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 15, 2008, 07:45 PM

installed it today.
noticeably faster than 1.5. the interface is much tighter as well. i have a mid-sized library and it's handling it fairly well thus far. the new quick preview mode is excellent, btw. it's fun to fiddle with the RAW processing settings on images i've tweaked. 1.0....1.1....2.0. it makes a significant difference.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 10:46 PM

are all of you professional photographers?
how do i keep an aperture library synced with my iphoto library without having to use double the space?

OreoCookie
Feb 16, 2008, 04:22 AM

Nope, I'm not. I'm an ambitious amateur. But iPhoto (especially in its earlier incarnations) couldn't cope with the size of my library anymore. I went from iPhoto to iView Media Pro to Aperture. I'm still migrating (I've spent literally hours and hours to tag photos in iView, all of that is lost, of course), although I should be finished `soon'.

When I tried Aperture the first time, I literally fell in love, it did what I wanted to do the way I wanted to. I didn't lock me into a specific way of working (which is why I strongly dislike Lightroom -- not a bad app, but our approaches differ by 180 degrees). Aperture 2.0 is faster, the interface is cleaner (although I will have to get used to a few new short cuts).

My pet peeve is still the book mode and its rather limited layout capabilities.

Edit: I'm working with it for a bit now. I'll post a more extended opinion on Monday or so.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2008, 10:20 PM

One feature I haven't heard of, but that is 100 % relevant: being able to use the German localization with English keyboard shortcuts (I prefer US keyboards, but German localization, now I can have the best of both worlds!). Thanks, Apple!
Huh? It's the complete opposite for me. Keyboard shortcut worked great with Norwegian layout in 1.x, but doesn't anymore in 2.0

Ph.D.
Feb 16, 2008, 10:53 PM

A question:

Unless I'm missed something, Aperture 1 used its own raw converter prior to passing an image to photoshop. It's fine for it to use its own raw converter for its own purposes, but when I want to use photoshop on an image, I would normally want it to use Adobe's Camera RAW, not Aperture's weaker demosaicing, etc. Has this been improved in Aperture 2?

Thanks.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2008, 12:45 AM

Yes. The RAW processing now surpasses ACR

OreoCookie
Feb 17, 2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Huh? It's the complete opposite for me. Keyboard shortcut worked great with Norwegian layout in 1.x, but doesn't anymore in 2.0
You know that you can change the keyboard layout, right? (It's in the menu: Aperture > Commands (?, just below Preferences), then go ahead to customize your shortcuts )
Only Tier 1 languages are localized (i. e. sorry, no Norwegian), so you probably have to create your own keyboard layout.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Yes. The RAW processing now surpasses ACR
How so?

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2008, 02:33 PM

I was looking at the system requirements but didn't see the GMA 950 graphic card on there. So does anyone know how this will run on the MacBook in my sig?
Or should I get Photoshop Elements 6.0 when it comes out?
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 02:38 PM

I ran Aperture 1.5 on a MacBook. It was slow especially if you're dealing with a medium to large library.

For that and a few other reasons (such as screen size) I opted to get the MacBook Pro. My opinion is that it will run, but I'd not recommend it

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I ran Aperture 1.5 on a MacBook. It was slow especially if you're dealing with a medium to large library.
Slowness related to library size doesn't have much to do with the GMA 950.

Anyway's, Apple's stance for Aperture 1 was that it would run on the MacBook, but it wasn't supported. I suspect the same is true for Aperture 2, but I haven't seen a statement anywhere indicating this.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2008, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a big library right now but I'm getting back into photography and about to get a new camera. So I need something to edit my photos and it doesn't feel like iPhoto 6(iLife before the iLife '08) has enough.
Does anyone recommend Photoshop Elements 6 or anything else?
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Slowness related to library size doesn't have much to do with the GMA 950.
You're right but I noticed increased performance degradation more so on my MB then on my MBP. So while the MB is slow dealing with rendering and processing the images. The size of the Library further degrades what is slow performance.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2008, 05:46 PM

You know that you can change the keyboard layout, right? (It's in the menu: Aperture > Commands (?, just below Preferences), then go ahead to customize your shortcuts )
Only Tier 1 languages are localized (i. e. sorry, no Norwegian), so you probably have to create your own keyboard layout.
Yeah. I noticed this. It's even better Now using shift-return and shift-K as a much faster Pick and Collapse workflow. Yay!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2008, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by JMan09 View Post
I was looking at the system requirements but didn't see the GMA 950 graphic card on there. So does anyone know how this will run on the MacBook in my sig?
Or should I get Photoshop Elements 6.0 when it comes out?
According to Apple's specs the MacBook and its GMA 950 meet the minimum requirements. You can download a trial edition and see how it runs. You could try Adobe Lightroom if you're not pleased with Aperture, it's more CPU than GPU bound and may run better on your system.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
According to Apple's specs the MacBook and its GMA 950 meet the minimum requirements. You can download a trial edition and see how it runs. You could try Adobe Lightroom if you're not pleased with Aperture, it's more CPU than GPU bound and may run better on your system.
Interesting. Perhaps the MacBook is now officially supported.

ph0ust
Senior User
Feb 22, 2008, 03:38 PM

i also am curious as to how raw processing surpasses acr.

i currently use lightroom for most of my processing. i like that anything i do is put into a sidecar file for use by photoshop should i do any other editing. does aperture create lightroom/photoshop readable sidecar file for the edits?

lastly, what do users of lightroom AND aperture2 think? is aperture lesser/equal/better with this update? thanks.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2008, 01:56 AM

The price drop in Aperture 2 is really appealing; would it be overkill if you are still shooting in JPG (my little handheld doesn't do RAW)? Wow, now I'm really tempted to upgrade my handheld to the Lumix LX2...

It's neat to see how some of the features from Aperture 1.x made their way into iPhoto 8 and back again from iPhoto 8 into Aperture 2. It's almost as if Apple is giving you a taste test of what your Mac can do with iPhoto but not alienate you with a "pro" environment if you choose to upgrade.
( Last edited by legacyb4; Feb 26, 2008 at 02:27 AM. )
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules