Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > End of the road for MacNN: 21 years of changes for Apple, and for us

End of the road for MacNN: 21 years of changes for Apple, and for us (Page 2)
Unknown1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 11:28 PM

If everything is so good for MacNN, why is Electronista pulling the plug?!? I don't get it. Your change from a headline format to more of a blog format didn't thrill me and so much iOS news gets old but there is still a place for MAC news.
Russell - Unknown1 - Idaho, USA

[email protected]
http://www.narrowgaugenews.net

curt lee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Jun 20, 2016, 11:37 PM

Bummer! Major bummer! But the world keeps turning (so far).

A major 'Mahalo' to you guys for all you have shared with the community.

Good Luck in your future.

Sending much Aloha!

{'-'}

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2016, 11:50 PM

I haven't been around here much recently. I did most of my posting over a decade ago.

I began reading this site in the late 90s when I was in high school and started contributing to the forums a when I was in college a few years later. I learned a lot from the community here and I'd like to thank everyone here for all of those great discussions. The transition to OS X was a challenging one for the Apple faithful and I found that this group to be very supportive of the overall Mac user community.

MacNN, I'm sad to see you go. You will be missed.

TimVFR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 11:56 PM

Will miss checking your site as part of my daily routine. Thank you for many years of great information. Wish you all the best in your future endeavors!!

webmaestro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 12:07 AM

Shocked and disappointed. Good luck in your endeavors.

ScottInTheOC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 01:48 AM

I will truly miss MacNN. Your site has been a constant source of Apple news for me on a daily basis for well over a decade. Best of luck to the awesome staff. You will be missed.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2016, 02:24 AM

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2016, 02:33 AM

( Last edited by John B. Smith; Jun 21, 2016 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Edited because the original link was to Rob's subreddit)

Tofino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 02:45 AM

Thanks for years of coverage!
----------------
www.tofinotime.com

Drash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 03:55 AM

Wow. Going to miss you. I liked the new format/content, but I guess it was't enough.

Thanks for the content over the years. Wish you all the best for the future.

jmurgen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 06:12 AM

Sorry to see you go, I've checked this site every morning for the last, it seems 10 years. Can that be right? Definitely will miss the morning ritual. Thanks for the excellent work, and good luck with whatever is next.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 21, 2016, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by jmurgen View Post
Sorry to see you go, I've checked this site every morning for the last, it seems 10 years. Can that be right? Definitely will miss the morning ritual. Thanks for the excellent work, and good luck with whatever is next.
While I don't know how long you personally have been coming by, I've been reading since about 1999, well before I started working here, so I completely understand the "has it been that long..." thing.

Thanks for coming by. We've got about two more weeks, and a lot to talk about.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2016, 08:12 AM

Oh no. Sorry to hear that. I will miss MacNN big time. Thanks for all of your hard works and news coverages. MacNN is my only to go to site concerning Mac. This is so sad. I wish the best for all of you!

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2016, 08:55 AM

:sighs:

To be perfectly honest, MacNN was my second source for Mac news. When the MacAddict forums closed, I deleted that bookmark, made MacNN my default, and I've been opening my browser to the MacNN home page every morning since. I was never much of a contributor on the forums here, but MacNN has been my primary source of happenings in the Mac world for a mess of years now. You will be missed. Thanks to all of you for the excellent effort!

isl247
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 08:58 AM

Wow. My account is still active! Just had to dredge this up for one more "THANK YOU!"

15 flippin' years. When I made this account…
I was a dedicated reader of As the Apple Turns.
I was using a blue and white G3 300 tower, overclocked to 350.
OS X was brand new and I was madly copying pirated developer releases from the IT guy.
I had just discovered that my favorite MP3 player, SoundJam, had been turned into the brand new iTunes.
The first Apple Store was not yet open.
I was using a Samsung brick phone on Sprint PCS.
We were only a few months away from learning about the iPod.
I was just starting my career and my life in a new city. It's all worked out pretty well!
( Last edited by isl247; Jun 21, 2016 at 09:08 AM. )

Zkatz007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 09:04 AM

I grew up with MacNN. As others have said, I checked this site every day, since the days I would pick a silly username that ends in 007. My favorite trick was the /news/ page, since it would stick to what mattered most to me: quick, good reporting on Mac news. Thank you for the great years, good job!

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2016, 09:10 AM

Sad to see you go. You've been part of my daily routine for most of those past two decades.

And you were directly involved in me losing my job at Apple back in 2001 (not your fault, only myself to blame). Aaah, memories.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2016, 09:19 AM

It's been a long time since I was here, but there was a point when MacNN was a huge part of my life; I even moderated for several years. I've moved on, but I have a lot of fond memories, and I'm sorry to see it go. You will be missed.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

WiseWeasel
Jun 21, 2016, 10:16 AM

I'm really going to miss you guys. MacNN has been a part of my daily life for over 15 years, and it's with a heavy heart that I'll be seeking my Apple news elsewhere. Best of luck on your new endeavors!
I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime les syst�mes, leur application except�e."

WiseWeasel
Jun 21, 2016, 10:19 AM

P.S. I guess i'll never surpass my Junior Member status of 17 years :.(
I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime les syst�mes, leur application except�e."

davlab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 10:29 AM

MacNN has been my home page for 15 years or more. It's been the source I keep returning to for rational daily Mac and Apple news and information. Now who deserves to be my home page?

Thanks for all he good work.

HPeet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 10:51 AM

Wow, this is too bad. You have been my first read in the morning for as long as I can remember. Macaddict, MacIntouch, Macrumors, Macworld, MacCentralMacFixit, MacRumors, MacOS Hints, AppleInsider, Daring Fireball, ThinkSecret.... all neatly wrapped up in one place.

bdmarsh
Jun 21, 2016, 10:56 AM

MacNN has always been my first stop in the morning since the late 90's, will be sad to see it go.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jun 21, 2016, 10:59 AM

R.I.P. MacNN.

Been reading your words since the 90s. Thanks for the articles, arguments, and fanboi wars!

Cheers,
Grendelmon

Mac128guy4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 11:04 AM

Very sorry to read Macnn is shutting down as a long time reader of this site. Applelinks is gone too. I do not care much for the changes on the Macworld site. MacIntouch and Tidbits are still primary sites for me.

My best to al Macnn staffers.

SezMe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 11:19 AM

Hey, thanks for all the memories! I remember back in 1996 and 1997 when the whole future of Apple was up in the air, repeatedly clicking refresh on Netscape Navigator, trying to get some new nugget from MacNN. You guys delivered!

aspire2inspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 12:31 PM

Like most here, I have read MacNN multiple times a day since the beginning. Throughout all of the history, there have been the ups and downs, lean times and the good times, but like most companies, when things get tight, the companies get quiet. If only they would be open and say "hey, we need your help and support to keep going." Most of us that read daily would jump in to help. This is especially true with the Mac community, as most see it as one big family. Family members should feel safe to say they need help, because that is what family is for.

I am very sorry to see MacNN go. I cannot remember a day when I did not check it. I know it is not easy, and there were times when Monish went above and beyond to make sure things kept running and everyone was taken care of. These days, I am sure it is even harder. I wish each and every one of you the best life has to offer personally and professionally. This site has made an impact in the world and it has been a good one. You broke news no one else could, shared the good news, offered optimism went it was hard to find and rode longer than most organizations many times your size. You did it by being resourceful, passionate, persistent and with perspective. Those are hard traits in a news organization to have all in one place and be balanced like you were.

To say you will be missed just does not do it justice. You were the last great daily in the industry.

PS: Just for curiosity's sake, can I get a show of hands who would pay $2/month, $5/month, $10/month to have a good daily that still had ads, but could breathe easy, knowing they had their bills covered and we had good news? I'm in for $10/month.

chris m.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by aspire2inspire View Post
PS: Just for curiosity's sake, can I get a show of hands who would pay $2/month, $5/month, $10/month to have a good daily that still had ads, but could breathe easy, knowing they had their bills covered and we had good news? I'm in for $10/month.
Been visiting macnn.com about every day since about 1996 (?!) I think. It became a daily fix pretty quickly. Really sad to see it go, thank you MacNN for the 20+ years of great Mac news. I'd go in for $5 month.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2016, 12:58 PM

Wow, very sad to hear of this guys (and gals).
I've been here forever, and I hate to see this. I have the last Macworld magazine on my desk too - Apple old-timer here.
I wish you all the best, and while I hope you change your minds, I reckon that ain't happenin'.
Take care, and thanks for the work over they years.

Scott

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2016, 01:02 PM

Love seeing all these "1999'ers" here!
Shows just how loyal a bunch we are regarding Apple and it's "small" piece of the computing world.
We've been through hell and back, and it's nice to see others that stayed in for the long haul.

rexray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 01:21 PM

Very sorry to see you go! You've been a staple for me, almost daily, for many, many years. Thank you for all the timely Mac news and insights! I wish you all the best going forward!
Earth is Heaven in Drag.

MitchIves
Jun 21, 2016, 02:01 PM

Sorry to see you go. It's the one site I visit every day. Thanks for everything...

MilMascaras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 02:09 PM

Now where I am supposed to go when I pretend I am working?
Thank you for making my workday morning so informative all these years!

infowarrior
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2016, 02:40 PM

Sad day indeed.

Been reading the site for 15+ years and while the new format didn't sit well with me, I still surfed through. Feels like a fond member of the club is retiring on their terms, which is always sad. To the MacNN staff and many contributors/participants, thanks for the community, the news, the forums, and the insights all these years! -- rick

Jeff75
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2016, 02:50 PM

Wow. Unbelievable! Thanks for many years of being my go-to site for Mac news. Good luck in your future endeavors.
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

Ham Sandwich
Jun 21, 2016, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
I expect our pragmatic views on things will remain.
Nah, just mine.

Unlike [the bigger Mac site] where mods would bully you until you left
or where there are so many posters that nobody ever responds to your questions, like waiting in like for 2 hours just to see the menu.

jpellino
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2016, 03:40 PM

Will the existing content remain online?
Just sayin'

Makosuke
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2016, 03:47 PM

As someone who's had MacNN sitting in my links list since... I don't know, 10 years ago? Longer? As the "quick check to see what's up with Mac and peripherally relevant tech news" resource I bring up when I sit down at my desk at work, it's going to be sad to have to remove it from the list.

But, things change, I suppose. Godspeed, and good luck to the individuals who make the resource.

sunman42
Jun 21, 2016, 04:11 PM

As others have already said, you've provided a great service the last two decades. With the exception of the last major Website redesign, which I felt severely impacted my ability to scan the content for stories of interest, you folks worked hard over the year to improve content, delivery, and coverage, and I really appreciate it. Wishing you all well in your next careers.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 21, 2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by jpellino View Post
Will the existing content remain online?
For a while, yes.

SomeToast
Senior User
Jun 21, 2016, 04:41 PM

I was another who’d stop by daily, but as the article said—as Apple grew larger, we were inundated by news from more and more places. I’d catch the occasional link back, but I’d make the special trip to all those “daily visit” sites less and less.

Thanks for sticking it out all these years!

Ham Sandwich
Jun 21, 2016, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tofino View Post
Thanks for years of coverage!
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Hey, thanks for all the memories!
Wow your last posts were over 9 years ago for you both Get cracking, Fresh-Faced Recruits!

Originally Posted by isl247 View Post
Wow. My account is still active!
Seriously yeah, and a few others.

amiller77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 10:35 PM

gbrandt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 11:55 PM

The media-sphere may be inundated with Apple news, but this was the place I checked daily for unbiased (non-political) Mac news.

Very sorry to see you guys close up shop.

Per another poster, I'd be in for a couple bucks a month if that helped.

howitzerguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2016, 01:32 AM

We've lost some good ones over the years (i.e. VersionTracker), and now MacNN. I haven't logged in since 2001, but I visit here at least 5 times a week. There'll definitely be some withdrawal effect.

Call me an old fogie I guess... I've been lamenting the loss of an upgradable Mac Pro, as well as the loss of some of the stalwart Mac web sites that I'd come to rely on. I guess I'll just have to drag my butt into the future with a different outlook. Times they are a changin'.

For all your good work, thanks MacNN.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2016, 02:32 AM

Many fun memories over the decades: photoshop battles, religion flame wars, in joke memes, connecting with members outside of the Lounge. Good times was had by all!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2016, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by David Esrati View Post
Now where will I go for Mac news?
Macintouch is kinda on it's last legs-
This is sad- this site has kept me up to date on so many things - for so long....
Thanks for everything.
I completely forgot about Macintouch.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2016, 06:37 AM

I don't like change.

Thanks for lasting as long as you have.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

jvanart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2016, 09:32 AM

MacNN has been my Safari homepage since we could choose our own homepage! Sad to see you go...l

OldMacGeek
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2016, 09:48 AM

Wow. Sad day.

You guys have been my primary Mac news source for awhile. While you *can* find Apple news on CNN and others, they often get it wrong. I'll miss the slant of a site dedicated to Apple news from people that actually know the product and company.

Best of luck in wherever life takes you! With your talents, I doubt your voices will be gone for long.

Forum Links
Forum Rules