Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Remote Access Hangs

Remote Access Hangs
insekt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2001, 01:45 AM

This is trivial i know, but it is really annoying me.
Every time I connect to the internet using the Remote Access Control Strip the icon stays pressed in and the computer just hangs until I am connected on my dial-up (which usually makes for a long wait). It's not a big deal I know, but I want it back like it was in 9.0 where i could hit 'connect' and keep working while it connected. I get disconnected a lot and after this hanging a few times it's really getting old.
Any answers or reasons?

WillyB
Aug 30, 2001, 10:24 PM

Are you running an Epson StylusColor 740 printer by any chance?
I found the same hanging problems were resolved by getting the latest printer driver update from Epsons site.
Something to do with serial port arbitration or some such thingy!

~Bill
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

insekt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2001, 02:25 AM

actually i'm not, i have one, but i have since initialized my hard drive and i haven't hooked it up and/or installed the software since then...
any other ideas?

JEB
Aug 31, 2001, 02:34 AM

I just got an iBook after being a die-hard OS8.6 user; I am new to Remote Access, and frankly, found similar "hangs" (or PITAS = pain in the a----!!!)

So, I am back to dialing up from the internal modem with FreePPP; the download is free at www.rockstar.com, and I RECCOMEND THIS TO EVERYONE, unless someone knows of something better, tried and true?

This utility is very reliable for dialing internet; watch as your connection will say "connected at 115200" (!!!)

Really, you should get it; then just change your TCP/IP to "FreePPP", and "Manually" (all you need to do is put in server / domain info, and you're set)

Regards, JEB
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

Forum Links
Forum Rules