Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > New poll shows further decay of American morality

New poll shows further decay of American morality
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2013, 11:48 AM

For First Time, Americans Favor Legalizing Marijuana
For marijuana advocates, the last 12 months have been a period of unprecedented success as Washington and Colorado became the first states to legalize recreational use of marijuana. And now for the first time, a clear majority of Americans (58%) say the drug should be legalized. This is in sharp contrast to the time Gallup first asked the question in 1969, when only 12% favored legalization.

So why the big change in opinion? I mean, marijuana culture was there in the 90s (Half-baked was in '98) yet approval was really low then? I suppose it could be best explained by the old dying off and a gen of pot smokers now being firmly entrenched as adults. The details kind of back this up:

Pretty stark difference between the SS crowd and everyone else.

Of course, no poll is complete without the political breakdown:

Once again out of step with the mainstream opinion, Republicans

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2013, 03:08 PM

That's actually more Repubs than I thought. Conservatives do change, just not as quickly, as evidenced by your charts. However, that's the nature of the ideology, they're more cautious, but that can be a good thing. Eventually pot will be legal, or at least federally decriminalized, then the individual states will decide how to proceed on the issue.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2013, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
That's actually more Repubs than I thought. Conservatives do change, just not as quickly, as evidenced by your charts. However, that's the nature of the ideology, they're more cautious, but that can be a good thing.
More cautious or more resistant? Scientifically there isn't any data to show marijuana as being wildly deleterious, doubly so when compared to cigarettes or alcohol. (Let's not even get into the medical part, which people also deny)

My thread title was a joke, but in retrospect, I wonder how much religiosity correlates with the hold outs. Of course, it could also be casual racism, as marijuana is perceived to be part of that culture as well. We have jails full of these minor offenses.

Edit: It's a shame they didn't also poll stances on medical marijuana and decriminalization.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2013, 04:23 PM

AFAIK, there's no Christian prohibition against it, other than you should follow the law.

If the reason Republicans aren't for it is because it's against the law, isn't that begging the question?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
AFAIK, there's no Christian prohibition against it, other than you should follow the law.
Hopefully a resident Christian will come in and clarify this for us.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2013, 04:32 PM

It was asked to the Padre.

JuRY: Is there anything against smoking pot in the bible?
Padre: No, but you shouldn't...
JuRY: You down with P. O. P. E.? You know I'm blowin' trees! Cos I'm the POPE! I got nuns sittin' on my... WHAAAAT?

If that helps.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2013, 04:33 PM

JuRY?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2013, 04:36 PM

Justin Robert Young. Shwood's cohort.

For those out of the loop, JuRY and Shwood are comedians, and "the Padre" is a Jesuit priest.

Sorry for the lack of background.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2013, 04:37 PM

You had to know I'd ask, right?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2013, 04:41 PM

Actually no. I've always used that nickname in the TWiT thread.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 23, 2013, 04:44 PM

If the reason Republicans aren't for it is because it's against the law, isn't that begging the question?
I've heard it argued that Christians shouldn't drink alcohol because it takes away our God-given intellect, but it always struck me as "What rationalization can I find to hate booze" rather than "What does the Bible say about booze?". I suppose a similar argument could be made against pot, but it'd be just as hard to find Biblical backing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 23, 2013, 04:44 PM

TWiT?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I've heard it argued that Christians shouldn't drink alcohol because it takes away our God-given intellect, but it always struck me as "What rationalization can I find to hate booze" rather than "What does the Bible say about booze?". I suppose a similar argument could be made against pot, but it'd be just as hard to find Biblical backing.
Well it reminds me of strains of ultraconservative christianity that are against dancing (I may have my facts wrong but I believe that was said about fmr. attorney general Ashcroft).

I always thought that the argument against alcohol fell to gluttony, in that partaking too much made one drunk. Of course that leaves the door open to recreational drinking, for the more reasonable people.

subego
Clinically Insane

What does the Bible say
Sin-sin-sin-sin-sin-sin-sin-sin!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister

TWiT?
Death by acronym.

This Week in Tech

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2013, 04:57 PM

TWiT?
This Week in Tech.

They (surprisingly) have a priest on staff.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2013, 05:00 PM

I'd say that until you get germ theory, booze is far safer to drink than water. I'd be surprised if they encoded anti-drinking sentiments in there. That would have killed their adherents.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2013, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Eventually pot will be legal, or at least federally decriminalized, then the individual states will decide how to proceed on the issue.
Um, have you failed to notice that the exact opposite is happening?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2013, 02:01 AM

I've heard it argued that Christians shouldn't drink alcohol because it takes away our God-given intellect, but it always struck me as "What rationalization can I find to hate booze" rather than "What does the Bible say about booze?"
I've always found it incredibly bizarre that any Christian group would ban the consumption of alcohol, despite it being a ritually-mandated requirement from the very inception of the religion, as advocated by the very founder of the religion.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2013, 06:17 AM

I can't help, but think folks are so dug in ideologically that they'd cite a political difference as somehow demonstrative of a more pervasive societal "disconnectedness"; another excuse to ridicule religion. This is not about hiding under coffee tables clutching rosaries and Bibles. Republicans often and conservatives generally, want a firm grasp on the implications of law and a disciplined approach to their workings. Law is inherently political so it only follows that there would be political differences. I think a lot of Republicans could be swayed considerably by a champion who does not carry himself as if he needs a fat blunt for emotional control.

I think the poll also indicates more broadly that people are more quick to identify themselves as Independent than "Republican" as this is increasingly a bad word.

With as much professed support for the legalization of marijuana as this poll suggests, let the polling places decide and let the States who want to pioneer this new ground show us how it's done and whether the pros outweigh the cons.
ebuddy

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well it reminds me of strains of ultraconservative christianity that are against dancing (I may have my facts wrong but I believe that was said about fmr. attorney general Ashcroft).
I know a church camp director that's vehemently against dancing and rap music. I went to a wedding held at his facilities and they had to wait until he left to break out the swing dancing. No rap music, though.

I always thought that the argument against alcohol fell to gluttony, in that partaking too much made one drunk. Of course that leaves the door open to recreational drinking, for the more reasonable people.
"Drunkenness" is specifically called out so there's no need for it to fall to gluttony. But it's easy to argue whether "drunkenness" refers to being drunk once or a pattern of being drunk all the time (alcoholism).

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2013, 09:24 AM

I'd say that until you get germ theory, booze is far safer to drink than water. I'd be surprised if they encoded anti-drinking sentiments in there. That would have killed their adherents.
Those are always my favorite conversations.

"But Jesus and the disciples drank wine! It's right there!"

"Alcohol was safer than the water available to them, so it's okay that they drank. You have water."

"But Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine at a wedding where they ran out of wine. You think they started out with a shortage of wine??"

"NO BOOZE. The...uh...spirit is leading me to say that."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I've always found it incredibly bizarre that any Christian group would ban the consumption of alcohol, despite it being a ritually-mandated requirement from the very inception of the religion, as advocated by the very founder of the religion.
I was 21 by the time I finally went somewhere that actually served wine at communion. It threw me off in a big way.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2013, 09:27 AM

Um, have you failed to notice that the exact opposite is happening?
What do you mean? It's be legalized in a few states and medical marijuana is allowed in many others.

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I can't help, but think folks are so dug in ideologically that they'd cite a political difference as somehow demonstrative of a more pervasive societal "disconnectedness"
It was tongue in cheek, just like the thread title.

Republicans often and conservatives generally, want a firm grasp on the implications of law and a disciplined approach to their workings.
The problem is, they accept the premise that it should be illegal based on what?

I think a lot of Republicans could be swayed considerably by a champion who does not carry himself as if he needs a fat blunt for emotional control.
Hahaha, now that is a good point. Much like OWS the most visible pot smoker usually isn't winning the cause any friends.

I think the poll also indicates more broadly that people are more quick to identify themselves as Independent than "Republican" as this is increasingly a bad word.
Well, liberals certainly wouldn't know anything about how that feels.

With as much professed support for the legalization of marijuana as this poll suggests, let the polling places decide and let the States who want to pioneer this new ground show us how it's done and whether the pros outweigh the cons.
As I pointed out, you can break it down to three issues: legalization, decriminalization, and medical marijuana. I understand doubts about the first, and resistance to the second, but the third is inexcusable.

Ex: New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's medical marijuana changes pass house - CNN.com

Christie ... said he would sign legislation that included a rule that edible marijuana would be dispensed only to minors and that a psychiatrist and a physician both would have to approve before a minor could join the program.
I very much doubt there's a medical reason he wants that bolded.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2013, 10:45 AM

What do you mean? It's be legalized in a few states and medical marijuana is allowed in many others.
That's exactly what I suggested. Shaddim suggested federal decriminalization with happen and then states will decide whether to keep it legal, when in fact decriminalization is starting at the state level already. We should expect the feds will drag their heels on pot decriminalization for many years yet.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2013, 10:55 AM

That's exactly what I suggested. Shaddim suggested federal decriminalization with happen and then states will decide whether to keep it legal, when in fact decriminalization is starting at the state level already. We should expect the feds will drag their heels on pot decriminalization for many years yet.
Its been a weird issue. Obama came in and dicked over California but after Washington and Colorado they seem to have either changed their minds or figured out public opinion and are now backing off.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2013, 11:08 AM

Its been a weird issue. Obama came in and dicked over California but after Washington and Colorado they seem to have either changed their minds or figured out public opinion and are now backing off.
Have they? I was under the impression that states that decriminalize pot will be left alone, but states that merely permit medical marijuana will continue to be hounded. Is that not the case?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2013, 11:14 AM

I was under the impression that states that decriminalize pot will be left alone, but states that merely permit medical marijuana will continue to be hounded.
Logic-wise that feels backwards.

Is that not the case?
Telling you what I remember. Don't take it as hard fact.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 11:25 AM

Republicans often and conservatives generally, want a firm grasp on the implications of law and a disciplined approach to their workings.
Academic Republicans maybe, Joe Sixpack Republican? Not a chance.

"Liberal" is often used as a bad word too, agreed?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2013, 12:14 PM

Just the power of propaganda. No actual thought about having irresponsible jerks on the road drunk or stoned. The drunks pass out on their couch, ruining their livers while the stoners just sit passively and smoke to ruin their lungs. Do you see the disconnect of banning tobacco while pushing pot?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 12:24 PM

I'd rather be called a liberal than a Republican, and I'm much closer to being a Republican.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Just the power of propaganda. No actual thought about having irresponsible jerks on the road drunk or stoned. The drunks pass out on their couch, ruining their livers while the stoners just sit passively and smoke to ruin their lungs. Do you see the disconnect of banning tobacco while pushing pot?
Wut

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2013, 12:30 PM

Wut
He sees the restriction of where you can smoke tobacco products as contradictory with the effort to legalize marijuana. Except he's sees the restriction of tobacco where tobacco can be used as a "banning" and equal rights for pot as "pushing."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2013, 12:31 PM

I'd rather be called a liberal than a Republican, and I'm much closer to being a Republican.
That was not the case on this forum 5-10 years ago, I assure you.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 12:35 PM

I picked up on it early.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 12:41 PM

He sees the restriction of where you can smoke tobacco products as contradictory with the effort to legalize marijuana. Except he's sees the restriction of tobacco where tobacco can be used as a "banning" and equal rights for pot as "pushing."
This is cool! I can translate Chongo for you, and you can translate BK for me!

In some ways, he may have a point. If you live in SF, I'd say tobacco is closed to banned, and while pot isn't "pushed" per-se, it's smoked pretty aggressively.

In public.

Where it's illegal to smoke cigarettes.

Of course, pot has very little in the way of permanent side effects, and cigarettes kill you.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2013, 12:45 PM

This is cool! I can translate Chongo for you, and you can translate BK for me!

In some ways, he may have a point. If you live in SF, I'd say tobacco is closed to banned, and while pot isn't "pushed" per-se, it's smoked pretty aggressively.

In public.

Where it's illegal to smoke cigarettes.

Of course, pot has very little in the way of permanent side effects, and cigarettes kill you.
The smell is enough that both should be treated the same.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 12:45 PM

Really? Love the smell of good pot.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2013, 12:48 PM

Really? Love the smell of good pot.
Not everyone does (I think I'd get sick of it after a while). It's one of the reasons people hate cigarettes; It permeates everything.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 12:51 PM

And by "agressive" I mean "you kids stop making all that noise or I'm going to call the cops. We're tryin' to smoke pot over here!"

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 12:55 PM

Not everyone does (I think I'd get sick of it after a while). It's one of the reasons people hate cigarettes; It permeates everything.
Stale cigarette smoke smell is nasty. I'll completely agree with that.

I'm not as bothered by fresh smoke, but that is likely because I smoke.

Pot smoke doesn't bother me whether fresh or stale.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 01:01 PM

The smell is enough that both should be treated the same.
What I should have said...

Bite your tongue! Chongo smells like roses.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2013, 01:10 PM

I'm not as bothered by fresh smoke, but that is likely because I smoke.
Also because as a smoker, your sense of smell is worthless.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 01:17 PM

I've been told that, but I'm not sure how true it is.

I mean, I'm sure it's not as good as before I started, but it's better than a lot of people I know who don't smoke. Especially when it comes to things like mold.

Likewise, I'm desensitized somewhat to smoke, but I definitely notice it on clothes and such.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 01:24 PM

Subego, I love you, you should quit smoking because it is bad for you, just in case you hadn't heard.

Plus, it is the leading cause of forest fires, and I know an upstanding young man like yourself is not interested in burning down the homes of our woodland creatures.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2013, 01:47 PM

Weed smells way better then cig smoke. It also doesn't permeate quite as much.

As one of the 35%, I'll chime in to say that its about time, and I am less alone on the right side than I thought before this poll.

I'd also like to point out that the age demographic is extremely important to this trend. Right now, the only age group not in favor of legalization is the 65 and older crowd. Republican and democrat isn't going to matter in another 20 years on this issue. Especially since the establishment GOP is now what the establishment Democrats will be in another 5-10 years. The pendulum swings and its time we move these old farts out of office, regardless of party. They are out of touch with people at large, and are far more concerned with being reelected than with doing what's best for the citizenry.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Plus, it is the leading cause of forest fires, and I know an upstanding young man like yourself is not interested in burning down the homes of our woodland creatures.
Truly the worst cigarette smell is your pack after you start using it for butt disposal because you don't want to litter and/or burn down a forest.

laughingbunny
Oct 25, 2013, 09:42 AM

I don't think legalizing weed is decaying American morality
a lot of kids smokes weed too, by being in jail and interact with other murder, rapist is not going to help them become a better person
Even Obama smokes weed, if he had a criminal record he wont become who he is today

People make mistakes and do stupid things, as long as you learn from it it's worth it
( Last edited by laughingbunny; Oct 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: typo)

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2013, 12:50 PM

I tend to be more ambitious and busy when I don't smoke or drink. I've pretty much stopped both. I feel better and don't wake up in the morning with a cloud in my head either.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2013, 02:48 PM

Still not seeing how consuming MJ is immoral. A little unethical perhaps, since it's still a federal crime to possess any, but immoral?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules