Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > An objective poll: Problems with your MacBook?

View Poll Results: What's wrong with your MacBook?
Poll Options:
Ridiculous heat 12 votes (13.95%)
Loud whining 1 votes (1.16%)
Heat & whining 5 votes (5.81%)
Other 6 votes (6.98%)
Nothing major -- it's great! 62 votes (72.09%)
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll
An objective poll: Problems with your MacBook?
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 01:14 PM

Thank you.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 04:51 AM

How about a "It's so damned fast it makes my Dual G5 look like crap !" category ?

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 06:56 AM

That goes under "it's great," I think

The results in so far are heartening --

get those votes in, folks

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 09:37 AM

*bump*
(since people are voting but not posting)
again thanks thanks thanks for your votes folks.

inspirationroom
May 25, 2006, 09:42 AM

Makes me feel ALOT better about mine that comes in today, all th forums make is sound so bad because you hear 15 complaints for every compliment.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 08:40 AM

yes, exactly. i'm very surprised by the results of this poll! i was inspired by someone who said that it looked like at least 1/3rd of the members of this forum have major macbook problems... obviously that's NOT true, the vast majority of macbooks are fine.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 05:55 PM

bumping this again. hope that doesn't bother anyone... i'd like to see some more votes here...

ak1nza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 06:03 PM

Good idea on this poll. Makes me feel much better about my future purchase.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 07:30 PM

My MB is great, yes it runs warm but not ridiculously hot.

All in all a fine and very capable computer. I'm happy I bought one.
~Mike

Brien
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 08:07 PM

Glad to see all the happy MB owners. I think that seals the deal for me.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
May 31, 2006, 08:47 AM

Everytime I buy I Mac i'm paranoid it'll have problems because of what I read on these forums. And yet my last three computers have been fine. Perceptions really get skewed reading forums like these because those most likely to post are those with problems. People with computers that work aren't too likely to start a thread to talk about that. We also have some posters who i'd call nitpickers. They'd find something to be unhappy about on 95% of new Macs shipped. We probably have about as many of them as people with real problems.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 31, 2006, 09:09 AM

Hmmm... The heat coming out of my MacBook isn't "ridiculous", but it's certainly much hotter than I prefer. My iBook 1.33 was much, much cooler. The interesting part though is that the MacBook still seems to have very good battery life, despite its New Hotnessâ„¢.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 11:24 AM

i get the impression that these computers are simply and inescapably hotter than their predecessors due to the technology being used... that's why i just wanted to know who had "ridiculous" heat, i.e. something that makes it impossible to work effectively, rather than just "uncomfortable" heat or just "hotter than I'd prefer" like Israeli-style drinks (which are never served with ice, unless you ask for it, at which point they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are American).

maybe the core 2 portable processors will run cooler... Merom or Duluth or Nine-Headed Hydra or whatever it is under the helpful naming scheme Intel's on... (and as boring as it is, the "Mac"ification of Apple's line, one can't help but hope Intel would get on that: "Intel Core 2 Portable," "Intel Core 2 Server," etc.... I can't get hep to all these annoying code names...)

i'm glad people are enjoying this thread
get those votes in, folks

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2006, 11:38 AM

I've been very pleased with my macbook and the only thing that has been a negative is that Apple does not include a mini dvi cable with it. Heat has been bearable, display looks good (after calibration) and I don't detect any noise except a "moo" every now and then...

Great machine!
Joe

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2006, 12:24 PM

All is well. Great machine, very fast.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 31, 2006, 12:47 PM

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 04:11 PM

Interesting results. For all the complaining that goes on, the majority of people seem happy with the machine.

jdiddy
Forum Regular
May 31, 2006, 06:42 PM

The LCD bezel on my first MacBook came off. It had that clicking problem that alot of other people had but it just came off a couple of days back. I wish I took pictures but I was so insensed that I just went back to my local Apple Store and asked for a new MB. They obliged and so far so good.

Apple IIgs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 10:34 PM

I got mine just this morning and so far it's awesome. It gets a little warm with extensive use, but it doesn't bother me as I use it on a desk anyway. Totally silent too. No whine, no moo, no nothing.

Forgot: I got a Blackbook (1 GB of RAM)
( Last edited by Varulv; May 31, 2006 at 10:48 PM. )

PJJames
Forum Regular
May 31, 2006, 10:37 PM

I have had eight Black Macbooks in the past week and a half. All major issues...not just me being picky. I am however happy with the one I have right now...seems to be working perfectly.
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

Xmas2Dump
Baninated
May 31, 2006, 10:38 PM

What're the first few digits of your serial number?

4H 6 20 = factory 4H week 20

Xmas2Dump
Baninated
May 31, 2006, 10:39 PM

Wow. Just kept taking them back? The staff at my local apple store don't seem to friendly when dealing with fan/heat and other issues.

PJJames
Forum Regular
May 31, 2006, 10:40 PM

4H619....I'm guessing week 19?

PJJames
Forum Regular
May 31, 2006, 10:40 PM

I had to go to 4 different stores...it's been pretty displeasing....Apple Customer Relations were pretty unhelpful as well...

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 10:54 PM

Well my CD drive seems a little off and will not take a disk in correctly so I might stop in at a store.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

bkpbc1
May 31, 2006, 11:01 PM

I just got my MacBook this morning. It's really hot but easy to ignore. I'm really surprised how hot it has been getting though, and I don't hear a fan running at all (which is okay too - that would get annoying!). Where IS the fan by the way?

Originally Posted by Star-Fire
Well my CD drive seems a little off and will not take a disk in correctly so I might stop in at a store.
What's wrong with your CD drive? I've noticed that mine is really loud and sounds like it's moving it around a lot and/or confused or something when I put in a CD. It still gets all the information though and works in general.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 11:20 PM

It will not take a disk in, I have to push it all the way, if I don't it will cycle between load and eject.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram

bkpbc1
May 31, 2006, 11:24 PM

It will not take a disk in, I have to push it all the way, if I don't it will cycle between load and eject.
I have to put it in about 80% of the way, then it takes it from there. But that's probably not the same, right?

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2006, 01:29 AM

nope thats how it should work, mine will not take the disk, I have to push it till flush with the edge.

crispin14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 02:50 AM

Love my MacBook! The only problem I'd mention is heat, but then again it doesn't even bother me that much.

Also, one thing that kinda sucks is being a lifetime Windows user and switching to OSX. All the support guides on Apple.com kinda suck, they tell you what you can do, but don't tell you hot to actually do it Step-by-step. Not very newbie friendly.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2006, 03:11 PM

No problems here, this machine is great!

PJJames
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2006, 01:14 PM

I now have a bit of a new problem....my speakers are distoring and crackling when I have them up high. When playing any type of audio...whether it's a Podcast or some sort of heavy rock music. Hm.....anyone else got this???

Apple IIgs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ael719
Love my MacBook! The only problem I'd mention is heat, but then again it doesn't even bother me that much.

Also, one thing that kinda sucks is being a lifetime Windows user and switching to OSX. All the support guides on Apple.com kinda suck, they tell you what you can do, but don't tell you hot to actually do it Step-by-step. Not very newbie friendly.
Just type what you're trying to do into Google and you'll find better instructions on how to do it. That's what I've been doing when I couldn't just figure the damn thing out myself.

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ael719

seriously post here and someone will be able to help you. i love showing my converted friends how easier things are.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2006, 02:22 PM

Well this is my 4th one and it seems perfect, runs cool, screen isn't pink, Superdrive is smooth, no scratches out of the box, doesn't shutdown randomly. It's unfortunate that it took that many, but I can understand not all will be perfect but the problems seem to be a bit to common.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2006, 02:45 PM

Well this is my 4th one and it seems perfect, runs cool, screen isn't pink, Superdrive is smooth, no scratches out of the box, doesn't shutdown randomly. It's unfortunate that it took that many, but I can understand not all will be perfect but the problems seem to be a bit to common.
Honestly, the problems don't seem to be common at all. You got a few bad apples (no pun intended) but if you look at the poll the overwhelming majority has no problems with their MacBooks...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

bkpbc1
Jun 2, 2006, 02:53 PM

Mine gets really hot on the bottom after it's been working hard/been on for a while, but I can deal with it. I also don't hear a fan so that's nice (on my old Dell, it was hot AND I had to hear the super loud fan). My Safari has shut down out of no where once so far but that's it. Also right now I'm sitting by a window and I can definitely see glare on my screen but it's nothing to complain about. I love it so far!

kikkoman
Senior User
Jun 3, 2006, 12:46 AM

I just got my MacBook, no whine or funny noises. It's very quiet. The glossy screen is a non issue. I love the keyboard. It feels a bit like my Macally iceKey, which I love. The heat is about the same as my old Powerbook 667 Ti. Nothing really major to complain about. It's a great little machine.

Apple IIgs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 01:43 PM

Well, for the first few days, my MacBook was perfect; then the "problems" began. I was listening to music when I heard a strange noise; sure enough, it was "mooing." I felt the top left, near the power adaptor and it was warmer than usual; but, not extremely hot or anything. So, I closed a few applications and it cooled off a little and stopped. So, there I was sitting in complete silence, when I noticed the dreaded whine. Both of these don't bother me too bad. I'm sure Apple will release an update soon that will fix these problems, so I won't bother returning it for now. That and I've already transfered all of music and I really don't want to have to do it again. =\

Edit: It only seems to moo whilst plugged in. Using the battery, it doesn't get nearly as hot. I can live with this, for now.
( Last edited by Varulv; Jun 4, 2006 at 09:19 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules