Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Region code issue with homemade DVD

Region code issue with homemade DVD
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 07:18 AM

My friend burned a DVD for me, and the Macbook refuses to play it, declaring a region problem. The Macbook plays commercial Region 1 discs perfectly, and my Region 1 player downstairs plays the burned disc... any advice?

yakov.

geltab
Jun 8, 2006, 12:31 PM

I think in the past what I did to get around other region disks is this:

goto system preferences, then to cd's and dvd'd. then select "when inserting a dvd" do nothing (instead of open dvd player) you can then download a program from versiontracker called VLC and just drag the dvd over the vlc icon to open it. I am pretty sure this worked for me.

If not, do the first step I explained above and download a program called mactheripper. This program is to backup your dvd's, but will also get rid of your region coding. It is free too.

With all of this said, I am not sure that you are having region issue though. I would give the mactheripper thing a try. That will extract the information and put it on your desktop as a folder. you can then open the folder in vlc.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 8, 2006, 12:33 PM

That's weird, because most consumer DVD burning apps don't add region coding at all. (Pro DVD mastering apps do let you set regions.)

tooki

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2006, 03:22 PM

Yes, as Tooki said, I find it hard to believe that it's a region problem, since you would have to go way out of your way to add region coding to a home-burned DVD. I wonder if the MacBook isn't just having trouble reading the DVD-R it's burned on. Of course, that would usually give you a message about a dirty or scratched disc.

Just to clarify, Yakov, is it actually coming up with a dialog asking you if you want to change your region? If so, what region does it say the disc is? Usually if you insert a disc from another region, a dialog like that will appear, giving you the chance to change your drive's region. If it's not this dialog, what is the message that appears?

Forum Links
Forum Rules