Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Please help me find the right composite video cable!

Please help me find the right composite video cable!
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2006, 05:58 PM

I purchased the Mini-DVI to Video dongle to use with my Macbook. It's white. It's pretty. It doesn't do jack unless you have another cable to use with it. Unfortunately my TV is an oldie and doesn't support S-Video. So I need a composite cable.

My problem is I don't understand what kind of cable I need. I guess it needs to have one male head on one side and two male heads on the other? Is it this one?
Amazon.com: Belkin PureAV Composite Video & Audio Cables Kit, 6 ft.: Electronics

Can I find something cheaper? I don't need fancy 24 karat gold connectors to watch a podcast or play with Front Row on a ten-year-old, beat-up TV.

Just to be completely clear, I want to be able to have video on the TV screen and sound coming out of the TV's speaker.

What do I need to do to accomplish this? Do I need additional cabling for the sound?

I'M CONFUUUUSED
thanks for your help.
yakov.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 06:36 PM

That cable on Amazon is *not* what you want.

For the video, you just need a composite video cable (also maybe called a rca cable). They're common, cheap, and you probably already have one lying around from something. It should have two identical ends and look something like this: GE Composite Video Cable

For the sound, you'll need a cable that goes from your headphone jack to the stereo inputs on the TV (probably red and white rca connectors). It should look something like this: Mini to 2 RCA Male Connector
RadioShack or similar would carry both these cables.

Cheers

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2006, 08:41 PM

THANK YOU

One more question.
TVs with only one speaker have just the one hole for audio.
Is there a such thing as a monoaural headphone->RCA plug?
Or should I just use one side of the stereo jack and forget about how weird that might end up sounding?

y
( Last edited by Yakov; Sep 3, 2006 at 08:49 PM. )

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 09:12 PM

Welcome.

For the sound, I think the best solution would be to use the type of cable I linked to, and just plug-in one of the connectors. Then go to the Sound Preferences and slide the fader all the way over to the left or right. That way you shouldn't be losing any of the sound.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2006, 02:30 AM

Thank you again, sir!

Forum Links
Forum Rules