Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Displays HOT-White Keyboards sukass

New Displays HOT-White Keyboards sukass
Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2004, 10:56 PM

Those new displays look dope, but what the hell is Apple thinking supplying them fsckin ugly and displaced white keyboards. They look terrible an dont match any product except the ipod.

The original Keyboard that shipped with the GigaBit G4 looks the best. Those white keyboards get filthy dirty real easy.

Sort it out Apple

Hairllama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2004, 11:17 PM

I agree! I've been waiting to get a new keyboard (I've worn out the black one from my Quicksilver), but the white ones are too white. I would have bought a MacAlly IceKey months ago if it came in silver or black. White is the new beige.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz, 128MB VRAM, 100GB HD, 1.5GB, SD
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB, SD
G4 500 Pismo 40GB HD 512MB RAM, Combo Drive

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 11:26 PM

I purchased a few of the older black keyboards on ebay as backups...agree..the white sucks.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 11:30 PM

I love the white keyboards, they look great with any computer.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 03:44 AM

I got myself a couple of older graphite Pro Keyboards before the ran out of stock at my local dealer.

The new keyboard sucks because of the crappy arrangement of the USB ports and because it looks cheap.

The white is OK for iBooks, iMacs, and eMacs, but PowerBooks and PowerMacs need aluminum peripherals. The displays were a good step forward, now finish it.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
I love the white keyboards, they look great with any computer.
i'm with you

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 09:22 AM

I have two black Apple Pro keyboards, and while they work fine and look decent next to the G5, they both have collected so much crap under the clear plastic that they look horrible. Can't get the crumbs out even with a can of compressed air (or whatever it is).

One day I'll find some time (and a Torx screwdriver) and take them apart to clean out the crud.

For now, I like my Bluetooth keyboard too much to worry about the others.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 09:49 AM

My friend says I am crazy but now I know I am not alone...

I have two black Pro Keyboards in storage and one on my desk. The "glide" (I can't think of a better term to describe the movement on the keys downward) on the white keyboards is just plain cheap. I would expect this from a Packard Bell computer.

When I get home and use my Pro Keyboard... you can instantly feel the difference.

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 10:41 AM

screw all this, they need to do something about thier mouse lol

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
I got myself a couple of older graphite Pro Keyboards before the ran out of stock at my local dealer.

The new keyboard sucks because of the crappy arrangement of the USB ports and because it looks cheap.

The white is OK for iBooks, iMacs, and eMacs, but PowerBooks and PowerMacs need aluminum peripherals. The displays were a good step forward, now finish it.
i disagree. for the powerbook white matches:

1) power cord
2) mouse
3) apple logo (on G5 as well)

but i totally agree that the white keys get so dirty. i have switch back to using the built in Powerbook keyboard. but i can't imagine decent looking "aluminum" external keyboard.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 12:24 PM

I've got the Apple Wireless Keyboard. While I think it's beautiful, it doesn't really match the aesthetics of my PowerBook. A brushed aluminum or chrome-plated keyboard would look better.

Still, I love how compact the Apple Wireless Keyboard is. I can easily grasp it with one hand, and the chassis doesn't creak or feel flimsy.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 01:32 PM

The white keyboards look nice, but get dirty too easily without any easy way of cleaning them out.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
i disagree. for the powerbook white matches:

1) power cord
That shouldn't be white either.

2) mouse
Only one-button (=unusable) Apple mice are white.

3) apple logo (on G5 as well)
But that's hidden when I'm working in front of my PowerBook.

Nope, white is there not because it fits, but because Apple was white on earlier models already and they (unfortunately) don't feel the need for multiple versions.
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 29, 2004 at 03:05 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 04:24 PM

Take a hold of this: On this Apple page they even went so far as to Photoshop the keyboard and mouse to make them look more like aluminum, and don't tell me that's the lighting, it's QT VR, you can navigate around it

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 05:36 PM

Take a hold of this: On this Apple page they even went so far as to Photoshop the keyboard and mouse to make them look more like aluminum, and don't tell me that's the lighting, it's QT VR, you can navigate around it
I don't see the Apple logo on the bottom of the display. I wonder if that was a photoshop job or if this is both a prototype keyboard and mouse. Keyboard will be released shortly.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 03:33 AM

That would be nice. But I don't really think it's gonna happen...

dennisbolt
Jun 30, 2004, 06:01 PM

I have always wondered why aluminum powerbook users had to use the white power adapters and cords. Thye look appropriate for iBooks, but for the PB, I would want a braided metal cord and aluminum "brick" or at least gray plastic "brick"

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by dennisbolt:
I have always wondered why aluminum powerbook users had to use the white power adapters and cords. Thye look appropriate for iBooks, but for the PB, I would want a braided metal cord and aluminum "brick" or at least gray plastic "brick"
I've had my Al PowerBook for nine months and had not thought of that. I'll live.

It would be nice if Apple intoduced a new extended keyboard similar to the ones on the PowerBooks, with the same key travel and everything. It's a little strange to switch back and forth between the PowerBook keyboard and the Pro keyboard. It promotes typos.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 01:55 AM

I have the old black Pro keyboard and I think it's the best one since the OLD Extended keyboard II!

I do hate that I can't get at the funk showing under the clear bottom, but then I don't often use the keyboard from that side.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by InterfaceGuy:
I don't see the Apple logo on the bottom of the display. I wonder if that was a photoshop job or if this is both a prototype keyboard and mouse. Keyboard will be released shortly.
It's definitely a rendered job... but why grey keyboard and mouse when they aren't available yet?

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
It's definitely a rendered job... but why grey keyboard and mouse when they aren't available yet?
sorry, but it is the lighting, or the lousy quality of the images. the cord on the monitor should be white as well, and the sides of the monitor are white as well...

but not in this image.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 09:59 AM

...and the sides of the monitor are white as well...

but not in this image.
Huh? Please explain.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2004, 10:15 AM

sorry, but it is the lighting, or the lousy quality of the images. the cord on the monitor should be white as well, and the sides of the monitor are white as well...

but not in this image.
The lighting? You must be shitting me. There is no real lighting. It's a con job as in Photoshop or Maya, etc. Like ToyStory.

The cord isn't white on any Apple PR images actually. And the sides shouldn't be white, but Al just like the front, only that here they look white actually thanks to the "fake" lighting. gray cable, "fake" lighting makes the side seem white

The photos of the WWDC show floor showed the true colors of the displays better than Apple's PR machinery that's for sure.

I think the display is entirely Al, the mouse and keyboard are entirely white. Anything else is either Apple's artists cheating or prematurely disclosed images of future products.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 10:31 AM

well, i haven't seen them in person, so i should not have been assuming the sides of the monitor are white as they appear.

can someone who has seen them verify that they are indeed aluminum as well?

as for the comment about lighting, even when an image is created in Maya, or any other 3D rendering program, you still call it lighting, even though the object never sees the light of day. Toy Story has credits for lighting just like any other movie. In fact, I am told it is one of the most difficult aspect of realistic animation.

in the case of the image in question, the lighting is handled poorly.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2004, 10:35 AM

as for the comment about lighting, even when an image is created in Maya, or any other 3D rendering program, you still call it lighting, even though the object never sees the light of day. Toy Story has credits for lighting just like any other movie. In fact, I am told it is one of the most difficult aspect of realistic animation.
No no, of course Maya and the like can have lighting, but if you look at some of Apple's images they have lighting that comes from two different sides as if there were to suns shining on the object. That's the part I refer to as "fake".

Cincinnatus
Jul 2, 2004, 12:32 PM

I'm with the poster above who stated that we need aluminum peripherals to compliment the G5. Ahh, imagine a keyboard where every key is machined from a solid billet of aluminum, and then finished with a thin coat of polyurethane, to prevent scuffing . Seriously, this whole brushed metal thing, while at the same time growing more consistent, is also getting ridiculous. Well, maybe its good for the recylcled can market (and here I am just giving mine away). I guess as long as they keep the aluminum out of the wiring I'll be happy.

/Cincinnatus

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 06:19 PM

No no, of course Maya and the like can have lighting, but if you look at some of Apple's images they have lighting that comes from two different sides as if there were to suns shining on the object. That's the part I refer to as "fake".
is multiple sources of light a concept you can't grasp.

besides it makes it look better.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2004, 07:14 PM

seriously...

just because there are not two suns in our solar system doesn't mean you cannot have two lamps in a room....

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2004, 03:31 AM

Duh. You guys are such geniuses.

Of course there can be multiple sources of lighting, but they should be consistent. Shadows for one source have to point in one direction. Highlighting due to a source has to appear on other parts that see that same source too, if it doesn't the image is phony.

Obviously I should have said that more explicitly. But thanks for trying the intermediate school physics course on me.

Can we now get back on topic again? Like, could somebody that actually saw them in real at WWDC report on the actual look of the new screens?
( Last edited by Simon; Jul 3, 2004 at 03:41 AM. )

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 02:48 PM

intermediate physics?
more like beginner.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2004, 02:52 AM

I think all the equipment should come with "skins" that I can match with my bra and panties. Those Apple engineers have no sense of style!

Originally posted by dennisbolt:

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2004, 02:54 AM

You'd think Apple of all companies would give us displays that are ultra-slim and ultra flexible (see iMac arm). These new displays are pretty ho-hum, nothing to get excited about. Unless of course you are part of the elite few that are in the market for a 4K display solution.

memyselfandimac
Jul 4, 2004, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by Hairllama:
I agree! I've been waiting to get a new keyboard (I've worn out the black one from my Quicksilver), but the white ones are too white. I would have bought a MacAlly IceKey months ago if it came in silver or black. White is the new beige.
I love my IceKey, got it as a replacement a black keyed Apple that was going flaky, the black letters on white are so much more readable, have been using it for 4 months now, no problem with it getting dirty, I may have wiped it down once. Some people should learn how to wash their hands from way it sounds from other posts here.

The low action scissor keys are eXtra nice. About like the iBooks/Powerbooks but with a hair more travel and stiffness.

This is the best keyboard I've ever used, to me color is secondary to function unless your talking about beige.

As a general rule white goes with any other color, may not be your personal preference, but it doesn't/can't clash. Thats like saying you can't wear a white tee shirt with gray jeans.

But all in all I would expect more from Apple, how about a nice AI housing with translucent charcoal keys with markings embedded so they would never wear off and ambient light sensors and backlighting like the powerbooks. That would be sweet.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 12:50 PM

wash their hands? I thought that was dandruff.

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
wash their hands? I thought that was dandruff.
New 20" display pics:

http://homepage.mac.com/waltafalla/PhotoAlbum10.html

Enjoy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules