Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 23in monitor + Powermac + PC + KVM = work?

23in monitor + Powermac + PC + KVM = work?
ZeroKoolNess1
Oct 10, 2004, 06:42 PM

Hello macnn.

I had a question. I am completely re-vamping my digital life. I haven't bought a computer since my powerbook 667 IRDA. I use it as my main computer for school and work. From database design, website design, to photoshop and animation. I figured it was time for an upgrade. I have long wanted both a pc and mac and a great screen and I can finally afford it.

The question is I only want to buy one monitor since I want a nice one.
Is it possible to use a KVM and use the large resolution of the 23in?

This switch - Belkin OmniView SOHO 2-Port USB/DVI KVM Switch w/Audio (F1DD102U),
says it only supports up to 1600x1200. I know the 23 in goes larger than that.

Also would anyone with a KVM and a 23in apple monitor tell me how well it handles games, is there any lag or response loss with using a KVM? I am going to use it for gaming with my pc and a lot of design and drawing with my mac. I don't want there to be any noticeable difference than if it was directly connected to the computer.

In other words, any advise on using KVM with one monitor and two computers would be helpful.
That's just my opinion. What do I know, I'm just a college student.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2004, 08:52 PM

I would avoid Belkin KVMs like the plague they are. They don't just pass-through the USB, but instead do a lot of funkiness that will make your life hell. Get a Dr. Bott DVI KVM instead.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...sp?dpno=974181
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 11, 2004, 10:19 AM

Using a KVM doesn't delay anything. DVI is fairly resilient, but when it starts to suffer signal loss, what you see is pixel glitching, where some pixels may "fidget" around, wiggling back and forth.

That Belkin KVM may be trying to do something very smart: try and prevent Windows from having to load/unload USB drivers. Windows does not handle USB with the same competence as a Mac, and you wouldn't want to bring down your server because of frequent USB driver loading. Some KVMs thus provide an always-connected virtual keyboard and mouse to each connected computer, and then the KVM itself is running the drivers for the connected keyboard and mouse.

tooki

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 12:31 PM

Compucable makes ADC/DVI KVM switches. They work just peachy with the 23" Apple monitor.

ZeroKoolNess1  (op)
Oct 11, 2004, 10:21 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.

Now I just need to get one more paycheck (hopefully) and i will put my orders in for a 23in Apple, 2.5 g5 + 6800, PC (with PCIe x800xt).

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by tooki:

That Belkin KVM may be trying to do something very smart: try and prevent Windows from having to load/unload USB drivers. Windows does not handle USB with the same competence as a Mac, and you wouldn't want to bring down your server because of frequent USB driver loading. Some KVMs thus provide an always-connected virtual keyboard and mouse to each connected computer, and then the KVM itself is running the drivers for the connected keyboard and mouse.
I think that's exactly what it's doing, but it does the keyboard emulation in a very stupid way (at least, my Belkin did. Maybe they fixed it. Maybe.). What mind did was stop passing through modifier keys after about 5 seconds. So if you were holding down the command key, doing a complex selection, after 5 seconds, the computer stopped seeing the command key as held down because the KVM decided it was done passing it through. Pissed me off to no end.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

jes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2004, 01:34 PM

Check out Iogear. I'll probably pick up one of these when I finish my PC project. The 2.5/6800 G5 I ordered somehow put a massive damper on funds for the dual watercooled xeon project I started a few months ago. Oops. I need to pick up one of those 23's too some day.

"Now I just need to get one more paycheck (hopefully) and i will put my orders in for a 23in Apple, 2.5 g5 + 6800, PC (with PCIe x800xt)."

PCIe is not PCI-x that the g5 has. If it was that x800xt would be far superior to the AGP 6800. Your best bet is the 9200 PCI that just came out. I may get one of these too, but for now I'm just going to run 2 monitors off my 6800 (if it ever gets here, OOB 10/15).
Now, do I want to sell my 9600 and get a 9200 PCI, an m-audio O2, more RAM or a bigger HD....hmmmmm.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by jes:

PCIe is not PCI-x that the g5 has. If it was that x800xt would be far superior to the AGP 6800. Your best bet is the 9200 PCI that just came out.
I think he's saying that the PC complimenting the G5 (which is necessitating the KVM) is going to have PCI Express with an x800xt.

ZeroKoolNess1  (op)
Oct 13, 2004, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
I think he's saying that the PC complimenting the G5 (which is necessitating the KVM) is going to have PCI Express with an x800xt.
correct.

The PC with the PCIe x800xt will be there to compliment the G5 and yes thus necessitating the KVM

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2004, 07:35 AM

Hey there - I have a setup similar to what you're speaking of: a dual 2.5 G5 (radeon 9800XT) and an Alienware Aurora PC (radeon 9800XT) sharing a 23" Cinema Display, a Logitech wireless keyboard, a Kensington trackball and a set of HK Soundsticks. Everything is being patched through a Gefen DVI/USB KVM (ext-dvi-241). The highest resolution of the monitor is supported and the setup works fine for the most part. There are a few random issues that pop up from time to time - the G5 has some issues seeing the monitor and USB after a switch sometimes or scrambles the screen origins thus pinning the cursor to the upper left corner of the screen (again, totally random but annoying as it requires a restart to fix). You'll also need to make sure that each computer has switch access throughout startup. It's not as clean a solution as you might imagine.

ZeroKoolNess1  (op)
Oct 16, 2004, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Hey there - I have a setup similar to what you're speaking of: a dual 2.5 G5 (radeon 9800XT) and an Alienware Aurora PC (radeon 9800XT) sharing a 23" Cinema Display, a Logitech wireless keyboard, a Kensington trackball and a set of HK Soundsticks. Everything is being patched through a Gefen DVI/USB KVM (ext-dvi-241). The highest resolution of the monitor is supported and the setup works fine for the most part. There are a few random issues that pop up from time to time - the G5 has some issues seeing the monitor and USB after a switch sometimes or scrambles the screen origins thus pinning the cursor to the upper left corner of the screen (again, totally random but annoying as it requires a restart to fix). You'll also need to make sure that each computer has switch access throughout startup. It's not as clean a solution as you might imagine.
Thank you very much for the information. I was looking for someone who had a similar setup. Thanks again. I am still debating....

Forum Links
Forum Rules