Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > PantherTheme

PantherTheme
quandarry
Jun 24, 2003, 12:27 PM

PantherThemePR1 an aqua variation

i redid the theme in dita format..
this is a preview release and should be finalized later this week...

DOWNLOAD I'mDaMac's vs.1 release farther along in this thread....
( Last edited by quandarry; Jun 28, 2003 at 12:59 AM. )

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 12:33 PM

mine has no divider lines in the menus for some reason...i'm not sure why. looks good otherwise. keep it up!!

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 01:51 PM

Hey, could you add an About Box with the Panther 'X"? That'd be sweet.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 02:06 PM

Can you post a pic? I don't have my own computer right now and wouldn't be able to try it out.
Thanks.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 02:30 PM

quandarry, if you still need an AboutBox I can send you mine... though it might look even nicer w/ a very subtle drop shadow added in Photoshop:

http://www.deskmod.com/core.mod?show...&skin_id=35960

//carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 02:43 PM

Nice

quandarry  (op)
Jun 24, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
quandarry, if you still need an AboutBox I can send you mine... though it might look even nicer w/ a very subtle drop shadow added in Photoshop:
//carbon
that would be great...
sent you an email...thanx carbon

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 12:16 AM

quandarry, why doesn't this theme have the menu dividers like the original extras.rsc you released? am i just crazy? the theme is installed, but the menu dividers are gone...

quandarry  (op)
Jun 25, 2003, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by gthyb:
quandarry, why doesn't this theme have the menu dividers like the original extras.rsc you released? am i just crazy? the theme is installed, but the menu dividers are gone...
don't know why...others have mentioned the dividers an have even seen screen shots...i'm thinking maybe it's not even installed...download again check the extras rsrc in themepark...the divider line is the very first pxm #128 "menu seperator"...

let me know what you find...

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 02:15 AM

here is what i see:

http://www.missouri.edu/~rmnce1/pantheme.jpg

i also switched back to aqua (using duality), deleted the panther theme, redownloaded it, reinstalled it, and switched back to it (again, w/ duality).

quandarry  (op)
Jun 25, 2003, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by gthyb:
here is what i see:

http://www.missouri.edu/~rmnce1/pantheme.jpg

i also switched back to aqua (using duality), deleted the panther theme, redownloaded it, reinstalled it, and switched back to it (again, w/ duality).
well this has got me stumped...i just did the same thing and got the same results as you did...duality installs the extras rsrc ok...i checked what was installed and the pxm is there but for some reason duality has done something to it so the system doesn't see it...hmmm maybe that's why the other theme makers who use these extra pxm's seem onlly to recommend themechanger...try themechanger and see what happens...i've been using metamorphx just to change the extas rsrc and never bothered to check the results of duality...i figured if it installed it, it should work...

another thing you can do is use metamorphx to change the extras rsrc...rename it panther.rsrc and drop it on the icon after you have launched the app...do not use it to change themes...only the extras rsrc...

damn...i got a headache...

keep me posted...

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 03:32 AM

thanks for the suggestions. I decided to rid myself of all traces of duality, and switch to themechanger. i'm not sure why i started using duality again in the first place. themechanger is the shiznit. anyway, it worked fine. menu dividers and all.

-ryan

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 08:17 AM

I suspect that you're not seeing the divider lines because Duality is trying to be smart about applying the theme. Since Duality can apply a 10.1 theme into Jaguar, it's probably not applying the 'layo' resources - they changed format between 10.1 and 10.2. The appearance of the menu dividers is controlled by the 'layo', so you don't see it when you install using Duality.

I assume that this is the issue.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 25, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by smeger:
I suspect that you're not seeing the divider lines because Duality is trying to be smart about applying the theme. Since Duality can apply a 10.1 theme into Jaguar, it's probably not applying the 'layo' resources - they changed format between 10.1 and 10.2. The appearance of the menu dividers is controlled by the 'layo', so you don't see it when you install using Duality.

I assume that this is the issue.
Yes that is the issue. If you apply the theme with ThemeChanger you wont have this problem.

Hes Nikke
Jun 25, 2003, 04:52 PM

looks good, but i'd like to see the new tab format and the indentation for the boxes (rather then poping out)
iMac, uMac, we all Mac for eMac!

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 02:25 PM

Does this theme have the lighter stripes for the toolbar areas as the real panther has. I have the first version that you posted and it has the same stripes for both the toolbars and the windows.
David.

quandarry  (op)
Jun 26, 2003, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by DavidHossack:
Does this theme have the lighter stripes for the toolbar areas as the real panther has. I have the first version that you posted and it has the same stripes for both the toolbars and the windows.
not yet...i'm waiting for my panther dev disks to arrive late to-nite so i can update the whole theme...

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 07:05 PM

Thanks. I also meant to say Thank you for the theme since it is very good. I am not sure Apple made the right choice for the background titlebar for the windows though. Looks a bit odd but that is for another topic...
David.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jun 28, 2003, 12:09 AM

Here is version 1 of Panther, the theme that mimics the Aqua appearance of OS X 10.3.

You can download it here. In the package I've included a couple of desktops that should compliment the theme well.

Thanks to quandarry whose initial release served as the base for this one and to Max who kindly let me include the black menu extras from his themes (themes look so much better with his menu extras).

So please try it out and post any bugs that you may find.

Edit: Updated link to 1.1 update
( Last edited by I'mDaMac; Jul 3, 2003 at 11:39 PM. )
Who'sDaMac?

quandarry  (op)
Jun 28, 2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
Here is version 1 of Panther, the theme that mimics the Aqua appearance of OS X 10.3.

WOW!!! beauty...great job I'mDaMac...using it now with the imbedded desktop pic...may be better than the real thing because of panther's use of a mish-mash of metal and aqua....
installed smoothly with "themechanger"...but stay away from "duality" or you won't get the dividers in the menu...duality fudges with the extra layos for this resource...

other than that it's great...

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 12:57 AM

In the package I've included a couple of desktops that should compliment the theme well.

Thanks to quandarry whose initial release served as the base for this one and to Max who kindly let me include the black menu extras from his themes (themes look so much better with his menu extras).

I concur with quandarry. It is quite nice and polished. Now if we could only demetalicize Safari.....

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2003, 01:00 AM

n/m
( Last edited by alpha rays max; Jun 28, 2003 at 01:07 AM. )

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2003, 02:38 AM

Looks great, thanks!

The only complaint I have, is the menu extras. They're a bit too bold and robust, kinda like the difference between a regular font and a bold face font.

jesse ;-)

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2003, 09:13 AM

I installed it... and I LIKE IT SO MUCH!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 28, 2003, 09:22 AM

That sample image has Panther's brushed metal style aqua buttons (the almost amatuer rip off version) - Panther only uses those on brushed metal windows, on aqua windows standard aqua buttons are still used?

neoTony
Jun 28, 2003, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
That sample image has Panther's brushed metal style aqua buttons (the almost amatuer rip off version) - Panther only uses those on brushed metal windows, on aqua windows standard aqua buttons are still used?
'Fraid not my friend. Aqua in Panther has widgets that are identical to the brushed metal (sunken) widgets.

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 06:52 PM

It is a nice theme. The carbon toolbar background doesn't seem to match the cocoa one though. (The prefs in iTunes and the finder toolbar)

Edit: Fixed it by changing one of the patterns.
( Last edited by DavidHossack; Jun 28, 2003 at 08:51 PM. )
David.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 08:00 PM

Errr! Theme changer is having serious 'issues' with this version of this theme (the one available earlier this week was fine). It's taking ages to switch, keeps making 'alert' sounds and has asked for my password twice.

I switched to an 'aqua' theme before using it.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 28, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by neoTony:
'Fraid not my friend. Aqua in Panther has widgets that are identical to the brushed metal (sunken) widgets.
So why is it that EVERY screenshot posted thus far, except the login panel, has AQUA buttons on AQUA dialogs? It's only the brushed metal dialogs that have different buttons (shading effect is more of a two-colour swirl than the shaded bubble effect)?

Here's an open dialog with those same toolbar buttons, in AQUA mode:

Here's network settings with AQUA buttons, AQUA dropdowns, new AQUA tabs:

Here's the Finder, with BRUSHED METAL style buttons (utterly different shading effect on them, a swirl effect):

And back to another open/save dialog, with AQUA versions of the same buttons:

quandarry  (op)
Jun 28, 2003, 10:48 PM

So why is it that EVERY screenshot posted thus far, except the login panel, has AQUA buttons on AQUA dialogs? It's only the brushed metal dialogs that have different buttons (shading effect is more of a two-colour swirl than the shaded bubble effect)?

Here's an open dialog with those same toolbar buttons, in AQUA mode:

Here's network settings with AQUA buttons, AQUA dropdowns, new AQUA tabs:

Here's the Finder, with BRUSHED METAL style buttons (utterly different shading effect on them, a swirl effect):

And back to another open/save dialog, with AQUA versions of the same buttons:

you'll find that the metalized buttons turn up more times than you can shake a stick at....unless you spend all your time in the system prefs or in the save dialogs...

so what's your point...
whatever it is doesn't belong in this thread...go somewhere else!

maybe start a new thread over in the mac os forum.....something like "things i don't get about a system that won't be released till the end of the year"

ps...on your way out take those big pics with you to the proper forum...

quandarry  (op)
Jun 28, 2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Errr! Theme changer is having serious 'issues' with this version of this theme (the one available earlier this week was fine). It's taking ages to switch, keeps making 'alert' sounds and has asked for my password twice.

I switched to an 'aqua' theme before using it.
worked great for me....smoooooth!
make sure you have the latest version of themechanger...your issue is with themechanger...whether it's up to date or not...a theme that's just sitting there waiting to be installed won't cause what you mention however the software you are using will...nothing is perfect...remember themechanger is in perpetual beta state...

neoTony
Jun 29, 2003, 01:38 AM

[B]So why is it that EVERY screenshot posted thus far, except the login panel, has AQUA buttons on AQUA dialogs? It's only the brushed metal dialogs that have different buttons (shading effect is more of a two-colour swirl than the shaded bubble effect)?

SNIP ridiculously long jibe...
I thought you were referring to the titlebar widgets... sorry.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 29, 2003, 05:00 AM

Originally posted by quandarry:
so what's your point...
whatever it is doesn't belong in this thread...go somewhere else!
To point out something in the theme that didn't look right. I'mDaMac's exact words were "So please try it out and post any bugs that you may find".

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2003, 02:27 PM

OK- back to bugs.

I have now found two.

1. ppat not correct for carbon version of cocoa toolbar. Easy to fix

2. Small widgets for windows show graphite when not hilighted-is this right? It doesn't look good.

My first use of a theme ever! Great work.
David.

quandarry  (op)
Jun 29, 2003, 03:17 PM

To point out something in the theme that didn't look right. I'mDaMac's exact words were "So please try it out and post any bugs that you may find".
sorry mate...it just seemed like you were making a federal case out of something that was not that big of a deal (not a bug)...the panther operating system interface cannot be exactly duplicated in a theme for the jaguar operating system...so compromises have to be made for some consistancy thru out the theme...

the theming community here are very frustrated people at the moment and feel theming may collapse for there favorite operating system thanks to steve jobs...it may be time to have him ousted!

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2003, 04:28 PM

Another issue I have noticed is that the edging of the drawers is still old aqua-This may be Apples fault. I am looking at fixing it for myself now.

You may have picked up that I am a bit of a perfectionist about my Aqua look.
David.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jun 29, 2003, 11:15 PM

I'm glad most of you are enjoying this theme. I will take into considerations the bugs listed and put them into a .1 fix that I've already started (the graphite small widgets has already been fixed). This is my first theme release so please be patient.

As far as the "metal style" buttons in the finder, I figured since Jaguar is unable to display a metal finder (without the rest of the system UI being metal) then it should be open to interpretation. The login window, for example, is made up of an Aqua panel yet contains "metal style" buttons. I also wanted to further distinguish this themes appearance from previous versions of Aqua. If there is enough interest I may add a variation with Aqua style buttons in the finder. What does everyone think?
Who'sDaMac?

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 04:49 AM

Would it be possible to implement the new tab "buttons", and associated dimmed/depressed region, used in Panther?

I'm not sure I like the tab buttons themselves (but a theme would provide an opportunity to give them a try), however the dimmed/depressed region I think is as great as the overall revised pinstripe look (which I am really liking - your efforts in providing what you have to date are appreciated!).

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2003, 07:25 AM

Would it be possible to implement the new tab "buttons", and associated dimmed/depressed region, used in Panther?

I'm not sure I like the tab buttons themselves (but a theme would provide an opportunity to give them a try), however the dimmed/depressed region I think is as great as the overall revised pinstripe look (which I am really liking - your efforts in providing what you have to date are appreciated!).
This would be great. But I think it's almost impossible, for a few reasons.
The element for the top bar of the tab pane (the Aqua blue line in the current tabs) is only about 5 pixels tall, so moving the line form the bottom of the 'tabs' to halfway up would require a serious 'hack'.
There are no Tab pane side or bottom element's (I could be wrong on this, it's been awhile since I did any theme creation). So the 'indented area' efect would be impossible to create.

cww
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2003, 04:54 AM

Awesome theme. I like it.
Backpack: Late 2001 iBook 12.1" | 600 MHz | 128 + 256 MB RAM | 15 GB HD | DVD-ROM | Jaguar
Left Pocket: iPod | 5 GB

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
I concur with quandarry. It is quite nice and polished. Now if we could only demetalicize Safari.....
You can. I used the safari enhancer for v74 to dematalicize v85. Works like a champ. Also changed the icons using Safaricon for v74. Muahahaha.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 3, 2003, 11:37 PM

The Panther 1.1 update is available for download here. A few tweaks and fixes, for more info be sure to check out the ReadMe! file.
Who'sDaMac?

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jul 4, 2003, 12:19 AM

Cool use of Background picture in a finder window and icon placement. Seems that people make their Disk Images cooler and cooler.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 5, 2003, 07:36 PM

Well, I've been playing around with it and have come up with something that may work:

I don't think I'll be able to re-create the integrated caps with separators look of panther but this is pretty close, IMHO (one long bar may be possible but there wouldn't be rounded edges). These tabs don't really play nice with apps like Camino, so I'll probably include this as a variation and bump the version number up to 2.
( Last edited by I'mDaMac; Jul 5, 2003 at 07:45 PM. )
Who'sDaMac?

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 5, 2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by cww:
Awesome theme. I like it.
Thanks! Glad you could find some use for it.
Who'sDaMac?

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 5, 2003, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
Cool use of Background picture in a finder window and icon placement. Seems that people make their Disk Images cooler and cooler.
Thanks! It's all about presentation
Who'sDaMac?

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jul 5, 2003, 10:23 PM

Well, I've been playing around with it and have come up with something that may work:
Clever "workaround" What if you squared those buttons off a little more, say a 2 pixel diagonal instead of 3?

I think I'd definitely like to try that revision just for the sake of seeing the new darker/sunked pinstripe region within the currently selected tab.

P.S. Installed the minor revision a few days ago but I haven't noticed anything different - purely a bug fix?

quandarry  (op)
Jul 6, 2003, 01:48 AM

I don't think I'll be able to re-create the integrated caps with separators look of panther but this is pretty close, IMHO (one long bar may be possible but there wouldn't be rounded edges). These tabs don't really play nice with apps like Camino, so I'll probably include this as a variation and bump the version number up to 2.
i've also been playing around with the tabs (what a coinsidence)...

quandarry  (op)
Jul 6, 2003, 02:11 AM

i just left the small tabs alone and camino looks ok to me...

ignore the metal buttons...i usually have camino metalized...

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jul 6, 2003, 04:38 AM

Wouldn't the small tabs make a good template for tab buttons? Give those tabs a bottom, almost a mirror of the top, and they'll be probably as close as you could get?

Forum Links
Forum Rules