Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 7)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
They're Nintendo, only without the being judicious about what they're releasing. Nintendo (less so now), doesn't flood the market with their IP. Sony seems intent on just flooding the market with anything that might appeal to anyone, to the point where they're devaluing their own content.

(It also reeks of either desperation or cluelessness)
I think a little of both (desperation/cluelessness). We already know they're showing signs of desperation. Their pricing plans for the NGP, assuming they reveal them at E3, will let us know if they're completely clueless.

Did anyone expect differently?

People still love the Duke, I guess -- even if he sucks.

EA's Riccitiello: Fail well and learn from it | Joystiq
Interesting that this motto coincides with their rise to challenge Activision to reclaim the Most Evil Company title.
Good thing I'm not supporting them.

...except for Tiger Woods, NFS: Hot Pursuit, Madden, NCAA, FIFA, and the Battlefield series.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I've seen it advertised everything. They really got the word out for the game. I have PS3 friends who hated Heavy Rain, but are in love with LA Noire.
C'mon, you're going to point to advertising?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 01:15 PM

C'mon, you're going to point to advertising?
Not just advertising -- the reviews have been spectacular. I knew it'd sell well, but had no idea that it was gaining that much traction in advance of release.

But yeah, I would assume that the massive advertising push, which highlights the expressiveness of the new modeling/mo-cap tech, is giving the game a helping hand.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Not just advertising -- the reviews have been spectacular. I knew it'd sell well, but had no idea that it was gaining that much traction in advance of release.

But yeah, I would assume that the massive advertising push, which highlights the expressiveness of the new modeling/mo-cap tech, is giving the game a helping hand.
Dude, every AAA IP gets massive advertising. I think you're underselling the fact that it's hit some niche Britain was looking for.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 01:22 PM

Dude, every AAA IP gets massive advertising. I think you're underselling the fact that it's hit some niche Britain was looking for.
Well, sure, but I think the game's advertising is smarter than most.

I use my wife as a barometer of how well advertising would work for a casual or niche gaming fan. She reacts strongly to advertising, which is why Zumba Fitness currently occupies a space in our media drawer. She also has an uncanny knack for identifying which advertisements are sucking me in.

Anyways, when she saw the advertising for L.A. Noire, she looked at me with this creeped-out look and asked, "Why do they look so real?" The game LOOKS as revolutionary as it apparently plays. This has to resonat