Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help! No Gui after logging out from root!

Help! No Gui after logging out from root!
grey
Oct 15, 2002, 09:12 PM

I believe i did something to cause this...
I'm using recently installed OSX 10.2.1, powerbook G4:

- While i was trying to setup Fink, i logged in as root, and sent the dir that fink installed to(/sw/) to trash, and installed it again still logged in as root. All i've done with fink so far is download the binaries for xfree86, but i got some error that wouldn't let it install after downloading... the dir doesnt touch osx system files or anything, so maybe it has something to do with the next thing:

- in my default Admin user i've been changing icons using that CandyBar app. I restarted with new icons, everything looked great, but i wanted to change the folder icon for my Admin user, you know, the house icon. So i logged out of my default admin account and logged in as root.

I used the manual cut & paste icon method (right click the folder you want to change the icon for, choose Get Info -- same for the icon you want to replace it with... click on the icon at the top corner of the Get Info box for the icon you want to use, Option-C (Copy) and highlight the icon in the other Get Info box that you want to replace, Option-V (Paste). Voila, icon was changed...

I logged out of root, the confirmation box said something about 2 minute wait? i kinda hastily confirmed the logout...
anyway, now when i try to log in as the default admin user, i get a blank screen with a cursor.
but no gui. i restarted, same thing. When the laptop is booting up, i don't even see the login/progress screen (btw its configured to log in the default admin account automatically) -- just the spinning beachball, a blue screen, and eventually the beach ball turns into the pointer. It just sits there like that.

Any ideas on what happened or how to fix it?

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2002, 10:05 PM

Run the installer from the CD again. It should replace any files that have been damaged/deleted.

grey  (op)
Oct 15, 2002, 10:54 PM

good idea, i JUST REMEMBERED another thing i did...

I replaced all the system icons using candyapp or candybar whatever it is... THEN i deleted the folders that the icons were in... and emptied trash...

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2002, 11:55 PM

Sorry if I sound obnoxious, but this sounds very funny... exactly why people should avoid doing things as the root user

grey  (op)
Oct 16, 2002, 12:41 AM

lol.
"i deleted an icon, now osx wont run!"

cd installer fixed it, thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules