Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how do you get osx to log in automatically?

how do you get osx to log in automatically?
grey
Oct 28, 2002, 09:48 PM

I recently installed 10.2. I was playing around with fink, enabled root user and logged in as root, etc. I disabled the root account, but OSX still get me to type in my admin password when I boot up.

In the System Prefs applet, Accounts section, I have only 1 user (my admin account) and I have "Log in automatically as ____ " checked.

On the Login Options tab, I have Display Login Window as: List of Users.

and "Show password hint" is checked.

Am I missing something? Because every time I restart, I have to enter my password.

I had to change it when I was using root so that it would prompt me for a user/pw, but I'm trying to get it back to the way it was (automatic login)

Edit: fixed it, had to uncheck and recheck Log In Automatically and set the password again. Can't delete this post for some reason.. sorry
( Last edited by grey; Oct 28, 2002 at 09:53 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules