Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > The Sims

The Sims
grey
Nov 12, 2002, 09:33 PM

I have the Sims install disc and the patch to make it run in OSX, but I don't have os9 installed and I REALLY don't feel like installing it right now.

Is there any way to get the game on the drive so I can patch it and run it without installing os9?

tiffer17
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 01:00 PM

i have the exact same problem! i would be able use it after i have it installed but i cant install it cuz the installer wont work in osx. is there any way to solve this????

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 04:46 PM

Hmm.. have they fixed this problem yet?

pumpkinapo
Jan 10, 2003, 05:39 PM

Would you be able to boot off an OS9 cd and install it that way? You would need two cd drives thought.
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

MickS
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 05:22 AM

I thought that there was a carbon installer on the Aspyr site.

I had to go through the business of re-installing the whole thing a few weeks ago. I ended up dropping an OS 9 system folder on a firewire drive to avoid having to install it on the machine. That worked well enough in classic to allow me to install.

as2
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 07:12 PM

Unfortunatly I don't think it's possible...

I had to install os 9 on my parents new iMac because my sister is obsessed with the game, but the machine is running OS X. It's not too bad now, as all the addon packs she's got are X native, but it was a bitch getting it on there for the first time.

Sorry guys, but I think it's going to be back to os 9....

If I had the option I'd install it on my iPod, boot off that and then delete it straight after!

Good luck..

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Sebastien
Jan 16, 2003, 01:58 AM

I had trouble getting the latest updates to install properly (it ran and said the update was successful, but nothing got changed) after installing the initial updates; ie. I installed the game, installed the 1.1.5 update, installed the carbon version, then it would choke on the Aug 2002 update.

The only way I got it to install the Aug 2002 updates was to boot back into OS9 - then it worked.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2003, 12:35 PM

try this, make an image of the sims, then boot off the os 9 cd and install from the image maybe? i know thats how i got red faction installed. man dev really need to relese a small installr uodate for games like this, so if u ony have x u can still install em.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2003, 01:34 AM

P.S. i acully reinstalled classic today, JUST 9.2.1, disable all the other **** in the customize menue, like remote access, text to speach etc. then updated to 9.2.2, i deleted the classic apps folder, and my entire classic set up is only 127 megs, so its not that big of a deal to have around, got alot of apps still that need 9 too install, then I can update em to X versions.

P.S. this was a clean install also onto a X only setup.

Forum Links
Forum Rules