Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > VCDs in OSX?

VCDs in OSX?
grey
Apr 23, 2002, 01:33 PM

I've burned episodes of 24 as vcd's in Nero on my win2k box (tested them on the PC's dvd player, they work fine), but DVD Player v3.1.1 on my Tibook won't read it. Also, when the disc is inserted, it has a regular CD-Rom icon.

Reasons?

grey  (op)
Apr 23, 2002, 01:51 PM

Doh, sorry about this post, I just searched the forum and found several answering my question...

I have 9.2 dual booted on here, hope it's dvd software can read vcds.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by grey:
<STRONG>Doh, sorry about this post, I just searched the forum and found several answering my question...

I have 9.2 dual booted on here, hope it's dvd software can read vcds.</STRONG>
Actually, you'll need to view them in Quicktime in OS 9. There's apparently a program out there called VLC that can play VCDs in OS X, but I've never been able to make it work. I was actually planning on giving it a go tonight.

Cheers
Scott

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 03:18 PM

The only two applications (that I know of) that play VCDs are MacVCD X 4 and vlc. The latter, in my experience, is much more reliable and will play any VCDs that you have. With the former, it's a crap shoot. Expect MacVCD X 4 to play about 60% of your library. SVCDs are a different story, you are SOL in 9 and X, in 9 SVCDs won't even mount. If you try to run vlc, be sure to have your geek hat firmly placed atop your head.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 07:14 PM

Check out this build of vlc, it is excellent. I haven't put it through it's paces yet, only played 10 minutes or so of a VCD movie, but it plays well and no cli, not that it's a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination, just not very Mac like. I just tried to play an SVCD, and it works without having to do anything funky! The only app on OS 9 and OS X to do so btw.

You don't have to mess with the cli in this version, just use the menu options.

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: dark3lf ]

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 12:21 AM

dark3lf, who did the interface for that build? It's much better than the standard one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules