Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrade to Dual G5

Upgrade to Dual G5
skilled2k1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 08:44 AM

With all the 'Upgrade to Mac Pro" questions running, Im going to change it up.
I have a Dual 1.8ghz Quicksilver G4 Powermac. Ive gone about upgrading it over the last year or so. It has 1.5gb of RAM, a Gigadesigns Dual 1.8ghz Processor, Nvidia GF5200 Ultra 128mb, SIIG PCI SATA with 250gb Western Digital 16mbcache drive, 16x Superdrive. So its pretty much maxed out.

Im looking at a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0ghz (not the Dual Core model). Assuming an Apples to Apples comparison, and all things being equal but the Processor's and its underlying design, would I see the benefit moving from the G4 to G5 in areas such as GUI responsiveness, day to day application usage, HD video playback, Photoshop and FinalCut/IMovie Rendering?

bossep
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by skilled2k1
With all the 'Upgrade to Mac Pro" questions running, Im going to change it up.
I have a Dual 1.8ghz Quicksilver G4 Powermac. Ive gone about upgrading it over the last year or so. It has 1.5gb of RAM, a Gigadesigns Dual 1.8ghz Processor, Nvidia GF5200 Ultra 128mb, SIIG PCI SATA with 250gb Western Digital 16mbcache drive, 16x Superdrive. So its pretty much maxed out.

Im looking at a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0ghz (not the Dual Core model). Assuming an Apples to Apples comparison, and all things being equal but the Processor's and its underlying design, would I see the benefit moving from the G4 to G5 in areas such as GUI responsiveness, day to day application usage, HD video playback, Photoshop and FinalCut/IMovie Rendering?
I am not sure how the thread is working here and if you have read my presentation and situation? If not, I have a maxed out G4 DA. I am now considering taking the last step and upgrade my Sonnet 1.2GHz to a Sonnet Dual 1.8GHz. Maybe wait to the 7448 is coming. An alternative and the most logic and likely is that I will buy a MacBook Pro as soon as Photoshop CS3 is out next year.

To your question. If you can afford, and you can as Mac Pro can be cheaper or less expensive than the G5, go for the Mac Pro. Mac Pro eat G5 for breakfast!

Forum Links
Forum Rules