Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Yankees & Red Sox Fans - Question?>

Yankees & Red Sox Fans - Question?>
nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 09:55 AM

Do you really want Johan?

this has been a very interesting off season for us twins fans. first the delmon young deal which i think was a steal as long as he isn't throwing bats.

Red Sox Fans - I'd like to see Ellsbury included - sounds like that wont happen

Yanks Fans - Looks like Hughes may be included - i'm not too exited about Melky though. wouldnt want cano either - doesnt seem like he would enjoy minnesota much

your thoughts?

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2007, 11:33 AM

What team wouldn't want Johan? I think, of course, you're talking about the price to get him, both in terms of the trade and the inevitable contract extension. The Twins are doing the right thing here, they can demand quite a bit for him, and the longer they wait as he gets closer to free agency, the less they'll get. If they play this right, they can create a contending team with players that are still cheap, following the Marlins' playbook form their World Series wins (hopefully, without the fire sale that followed).

I'm looking forward to see what happens in this trade, even though the Mets are seemingly out of it (barring some three-way madness), since I'll be able to see the Twins' new young talent here in Rochester.

Speaking of the Mets, would you take Jose Reyes for Johan straight-up (or with a throw-in prospect)? I hope that doesn't happen, but the media in New York won't let that rumor die....

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 12:43 PM

In one of the ESPN podcasts I was listening to yesterday, someone suggested that neither the Sox or the Yankees really want to land Johan. They think it's a poker match. It's all about making the winning side put up and lose more.

I don't know if I'm 100% sure about that (Santana is just too good), but it makes sense.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2007, 01:26 PM

I'll tell you one thing: neither the Yankees or the Red Sox want to face the other team 19 times if the other team lands Santana, knowing he will get at least four (likely five or more, if they play games with the rotation) starts against them. That could be the difference between first place and second place right there.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Speaking of the Mets, would you take Jose Reyes for Johan straight-up (or with a throw-in prospect)? I hope that doesn't happen, but the media in New York won't let that rumor die....
That would just be plain stupid. Santana maybe has 4-5 "good" years left in the tank as a premier starter. Reyes has 10-12 if he stays healthy and is much more valuable to the team. Oh, and Reyes will miss Rickey....even if nobody else in the Met's organization will.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
That would just be plain stupid. Santana maybe has 4-5 "good" years left in the tank as a premier starter. Reyes has 10-12 if he stays healthy and is much more valuable to the team. Oh, and Reyes will miss Rickey....even if nobody else in the Met's organization will.

I agree, but the rumor has legs, probably because of how bad Reyes was doing down the stretch this year. Then again, everyone was stinking it up down the stretch for the Mets.... All the same, I'm putting off buying my Reyes jersey until this mess is dealt with, since stranger things have happened.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2007, 04:50 PM

i'm sincerely hoping that the sox don't actually mean to trade ellsbury; don't get me wrong, santana is great, but the red sox simply don't need him that badly. my hope is that they are simply intending to drive the cost up for the yankees, who do need him that badly. right now, the red sox are well-situated for next year with a deep rotation already. the yankees do not presently have an answer for schilling or matsuzaka, much less beckett. they need santana, period, and they probably have just enough to get him; but my guess is that the red sox, with their rich farm system intend for it to cost the yankees dearly.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2007, 07:04 PM

The Yankees will not give up Hughes. Santana will not be in pinstripes. Odds were much better if ARod and his personal team of Sports Psychologists were gone. But, the Yanks seem convinced he will bring in billions as he breaks records over the next 10 years. I'm not convinced. Melky could go easily, as several hot picks from the farm are almost ready. Personally I'd like to see Damon gone. I also agree that Santana won't be in Boston either.

08 should be exciting. If Joseph Elliot Girardi can get the Rod through the post season without a mental Breakdown the Yanks will be tough, as will Boston.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Dec 3, 2007, 12:01 AM

I like the Sox just as they are. Two of the three, meaning Lester, Ellsbury, and Bucholz will most likely be phenoms, and combined will initially cost a whole lot less cash than Santana by himself. There seems to be no reason to acquire this guy. We had a great team last year, the major players are still in place, and the rookies are developing perfectly. The Sox are developing talent for themselves and they should utilize that talent this coming year.

nredman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I don't know what kind of guy Jose Reyes is but he doesn't seem like he would fit in minnesota - like he probably wouldnt like the small market. i'd rather have david wright

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

nredman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2007, 08:36 PM

from espn.com

For one thing, the Yankees have told Minnesota their offer of Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera and a respectable prospect is a take-it-or-leave-it proposition, not a conversation-starter -- and they want an answer by the end of the day Monday.

For another thing, the Red Sox have upped the ante by agreeing to include Jacoby Ellsbury in their offer. So even though Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz apparently are not part of that package, the Sox at least have given the Twins even more to think about.

i like the red sox deal with ellsbury - the twins have some young pitching talent already, Slowey, Baker, Blackburn, Perkins, they may not be as talented as Hughes but i still think they will be solid. Also Liriano should come back strong next year

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2007, 02:47 AM

I don't really follow players on other teams, so I don't know anything about this johan character. I do know that our pitching staff is pretty tight as it stands now so if we don't get him I won't loose any sleep. Plus I fully expect DiceK to pull a Beckett and be REALLY GOOD next year. And maybe we'll finally put Papelmonster where he belongs, starting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules