Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sherlock File Index

Sherlock File Index
Jericon
Feb 23, 2000, 10:33 AM

I recently just deleted my find by content index on my hard drive and reindexed the drive. I have a 6 gig drive with 3.68 gigs remaining. The index content takes up 267 Megs of that hard drive. That means that 2.06 gigs of the Hard Drive is full, and about an eighth of the space is used for the index.

On my superdisk which has about 60 megs of stuff on it, the index is only 300k.

Any ideas if this is how it should be and/or how to fix it?

-Jericon
-Jericon

marc
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2000, 11:45 AM

I can't explain the huge difference in size, but the obvious thing to try is erasing the index on your HD and copying the small file from your SuperDisk.

Jericon  (op)
Feb 23, 2000, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by marc:
I can't explain the huge difference in size, but the obvious thing to try is erasing the index on your HD and copying the small file from your SuperDisk.
The index is different for every disk and changes with every file on the disk. If I tried to take the one from my SuperDisk first of all it wouldn't be the right disk so it wouldn't work and second of all if it did work it would be updated and would come to the huge size once again.
-Jericon

Forum Links
Forum Rules