Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What degree do you have?

View Poll Results: What degree do you have? (multiple choices allowed)
Poll Options:
High school or below 27 votes (26.73%)
Associate 11 votes (10.89%)
Bachelors 56 votes (55.45%)
Masters 23 votes (22.77%)
PhD 13 votes (12.87%)
JD/MBA 2 votes (1.98%)
MD/DO 3 votes (2.97%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll
What degree do you have? (Page 3)
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
What makes some jobs real and some jobs not?
Well, I'm guessing here, but:

Real job = a good day's pay for a good day's work.
Not a real job = capitalist pigs making money off the backs of innocent proles.

I'm glad I haven't got a real job.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
What makes some jobs real and some jobs not?
In the example we were discussing, if you're in training for your career, and you will soon start your career, you're not in your real job yet. More broadly than that, I don't know.

OreoCookie
Apr 20, 2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Of course it's a lot of work. It's just not a real job or career.
Of course it is: when you want to stay in academia, you have to do certain things to make a career out of it (teaching + research + writing publications). You're not working for a company in the free market, but I don't see how this is different from being a school teacher (which is actually easier).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Of course it is: when you want to stay in academia, you have to do certain things to make a career out of it (teaching + research + writing publications). You're not working for a company in the free market, but I don't see how this is different from being a school teacher (which is actually easier).
No, it's different because you're training for your job; you don't have it yet. The school teacher has the job that they trained for. I spent 6 years making ~$10000/year in grad school. I was in training. Then I got my real job that I was training for.

I'm not really sure why this is a big controversial point. I was simply expressing amazement that someone would spend the time to get 3 PhDs in a row, because they would have spent so much time in training. If they're real PhD programs, which usually require full-time status, the individual would have to be almost middle-aged and not have yet started their real career/their real job/at their full pay/whatever you want to call it. I stand by that, and it turned out that wasn't the case anyway.

[edit] I seem to be working towards a PhD in Thread Derailment, so I'm going to drop out before I finish.
( Last edited by BRussell; Apr 20, 2008 at 03:34 PM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2008, 03:27 PM

so you could say you went from the jv team to the varsity team then?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 20, 2008, 03:52 PM

To continue the derail only for a moment...

If your planned career is academic, then your grad school work is indeed what your career is; you're IN that profession, but instead of working independently, you're actually an apprentice. And in academe, an apprentice is indeed a working slob that doesn't make beans.

My part of derail over.

ON topic item: how long has it taken folks to get these degrees? I went through high school in the normal period of time (never skipped a grade nor was held back), but it was about 11 years before I got my first associates' degree. About three years later I got my second AAS, four years after that my BS (none of these were independent: I applied stuff that went to each AAS to my BS). After 10 years of not taking a class, I went back to school to get the prerequisites for my masters' program-it took a full year (due to class scheduling) to get the prereqs, and the master's program takes three years. I have mere days left in the second year of that program, with the third being all field and clinical work. So... How long did it take everyone else to get to the degree(s) they have?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Apr 20, 2008, 04:11 PM

No, it's different because you're training for your job; you don't have it yet.
That's not true, if you plan to stay in academia, it's not job training, it's work experience.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2008, 05:37 PM

High School Diploma for me... and rather low in my overall graduation class (like around 200 out of 320). I did some college but dropped out. I was a really sucky student. Hasn't affected my earning potential however. I got into the IT field in the early 80's and back then, the Computer Science degrees were worthless (in my humble opinion). I've taught myself everything I know which is almost mandatory in this field because it changes so rapidly.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 20, 2008, 06:12 PM

As of next December, I will have my bachelors in Mechanic Engineer in 8 semesters of classes with no transfer credits or summer classes. Not incredibly impressive, but I am in the minority.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
As of next December, I will have my bachelors in Mechanic Engineer in 8 semesters of classes with no transfer credits or summer classes. Not incredibly impressive, but I am in the minority.
Do you mean 7? 8 semesters/2 semesters per year = 4 years which is normal.

I have 8 days left of classes and I will have a BS in CS. Graduation in a may, start work in june
AXP
ΔΣΦ

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 21, 2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by TheMosco View Post
I've found that most schools have very useful summer semesters-I got a lot out of the summer of 2005, getting my prereqs. And my current program is full-on, every semester chock-full of required courses (this program is considered a "group-lockstep" model). Working on my first BS, I took classes every summer until my last - working full time AND taking 9-12 hours of classes after work wears you out pretty quickly. But those summer semesters cut my time on campus by a year, so they were worth it.

SVass
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 10:10 AM

I received a BSEE in 1960 and worked in the field for many years. My last real job was with experts in Avionics/Airplane design and most of my co-workers had higher degrees and were recognized experts in their fields such as flight controls, aerodynamics, real-time software, etc. Technical learning can extend beyond formal academic training in the proper environment. The academic degree is merely a learner's permit to begin a life-long exercise.

Now, I engage in analysis of yDNA profiles with a group of "amateurs" (retired physicists, geneticists, engineers, anthropologists, etc) attempting to aid in tracing the ascent of humankind. Analytical capability, pattern recognition, and database design are the requisite skills in this endeavor. Working for a living was interesting; but, it should not be the goal. sam

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I've found that most schools have very useful summer semesters-I got a lot out of the summer of 2005, getting my prereqs. And my current program is full-on, every semester chock-full of required courses (this program is considered a "group-lockstep" model). Working on my first BS, I took classes every summer until my last - working full time AND taking 9-12 hours of classes after work wears you out pretty quickly. But those summer semesters cut my time on campus by a year, so they were worth it.
I agree, my school is very strict about transfer credits and hasn't been close to my internships so I haven't been able to take any summer classes.

But he said he didn't take any, which is why i assume he meant 7 semesters, because graduating in 4 years with BS isn't difficult.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 21, 2008, 10:22 AM

I agree, my school is very strict about transfer credits and hasn't been close to my internships so I haven't been able to take any summer classes.

But he said he didn't take any, which is why i assume he meant 7 semesters, because graduating in 4 years with BS isn't difficult.
Unless it's a 4+ year program. A lot of engineering programs are like that, as was my goddaughter's philosophy program. Technically, my computer science program was considered a 5-year program, but I actually brought a lot of transfer credit with me, so my four years on campus were mostly 3/4 time.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 10:29 AM

[edit] I seem to be working towards a PhD in Thread Derailment, so I'm going to drop out before I finish.
ABD, huh? Well, as I understand, you can still practice.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
So... How long did it take everyone else to get to the degree(s) they have?
I have a BSE which took the normal 4 years, and a PhD, which took about 5. By passing my general exams for the PhD, I obtained a MA, which in engineering is not worth the paper it is printed on .

Amorya
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 10:58 AM

I have a BSc, which took 3 years, and I'm on my second year of three in my PhD.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Timo View Post
ABD, huh? Well, as I understand, you can still practice.
My dissertation was going to be "In Before Lock: Derrida, Foucalt, and the Deconstruction of the MacNN Thread." But I think I'll just take my Master's so I can get on with my life.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2008, 12:44 PM

My dissertation was going to be "In Before Lock: Derrida, Foucalt, and the Deconstruction of the MacNN Thread." But I think I'll just take my Master's so I can get on with my life.
Plus, you don't want to be "Just another asshole with a PhD" (tm).

vexborg
Senior User
Apr 21, 2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Picking up and moving to Scotland for several years isn't a good idea, at this time.
Or at any time actually, at first you'll like the country, but then, after a while, you'll end up hating the place (speaking from experience)...

Going there on holidays = yes. Living there = never again!
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

vexborg
Senior User
Apr 21, 2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
What, you mean like calling anyone who’s finished fifth grade ‘Doctor’?
Heh, like Dr. Dr. Herbert Schmidt?
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2008, 02:30 PM

I'll have a BA in two weeks, if I can get this damn piece I'm working on finished.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 04:28 PM

BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering. Took me five years to get it. Normal people only take three.

The loans were REALLY low interest OK ?

Then I gave up a job offer at Rolls Royce (Aero Engines) and went into IT.

What an idiot.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by vexborg View Post
Library and Information Science here.
My step-mom has an MLS. She also has one of those memberships (I dunno what they call them) that allows you to actually use the Library of Congress. Only a few people a year qualify.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 21, 2008, 06:44 PM

I have 8 days left of classes and I will have a BS in CS. Graduation in a may, start work in june
I meant what I said and I said what I mean DR SEUSS LOL

4 years may be normal for some degrees, but not engineering.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering. Took me five years to get it. Normal people only take three.
I'd loooove to know what school that's at. After passing out of the entry level math and english classes, taking only the classes for graduation at 16-19 credits every semester for eight semesters left me with room for exactly ONE class for fun. If I had taken 19-21 credits every semester I MIGHT have been able to knock off almost one semester, but there's no way that ISU's bachelor's program could be completed in 3 years without tons of transfer credits or summer classes.

Then I gave up a job offer at Rolls Royce (Aero Engines) and went into IT.
My uncle is an engineer at Rolls Royce in Ohio, and I often see them at our career fairs.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 07:25 PM

I'd loooove to know what school that's at. After passing out of the entry level math and english classes, taking only the classes for graduation at 16-19 credits every semester for eight semesters left me with room for exactly ONE class for fun. If I had taken 19-21 credits every semester I MIGHT have been able to knock off almost one semester, but there's no way that ISU's bachelor's program could be completed in 3 years without tons of transfer credits or summer classes.
I think that depends a lot on the country. In the UK at least, nearly every batchelor's degree is 3 years. A four year undergraduate degree would be a master's. (You can also take a 1 year postgraduate master's degree, if you already have a batchelor's.)

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

mindwaves  (op)
Apr 21, 2008, 07:35 PM

Arstechnica did a story earlier about why it generally takes a shorter period of time to get a PhD in England as opposed to getting a PhD here in the US. I guess the same applies to bachelors and masters degree also.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Amorya View Post
I think that depends a lot on the country. In the UK at least, nearly every batchelor's degree is 3 years. A four year undergraduate degree would be a master's. (You can also take a 1 year postgraduate master's degree, if you already have a batchelor's.)

Amorya
Same here. Bachelor’s degrees have been standardised and are all 180 ECTS, i.e., three years. Some bachelor’s degrees (like mine, Chinese) actually take four years because there’s an initial propaedeutic year, but that first year is not technically a part of your degree, though it is listed on your diploma.

(Actually, I thought it wasn’t listed on your diploma, either, but I just checked the student site of my old university, and it does list the first, too, saying that I have a 240 ECTS bachelor’s degree, which is odd. It’s also annoying, though hardly surprising, that, despite handing in my final project in May last year and thus technically graduating as of 30 June 2007, they still haven’t gotten around to actually making my diploma)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Arstechnica did a story earlier about why it generally takes a shorter period of time to get a PhD in England as opposed to getting a PhD here in the US. I guess the same applies to bachelors and masters degree also.
Do those schools undergo a similar accreditation process? As in my bachelors in mechanical engineering means the same thing as theirs? To graduate, I need 128.5 credits, where most classes are 3 or 4 credits, minimum required for full time status is 12/semester and average class load is 15-19.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2008, 12:44 AM

I meant what I said and I said what I mean DR SEUSS LOL

4 years may be normal for some degrees, but not engineering.

Sorry for the mixup. Our schools must be very different.

I actually go to a technical university. We have 7 week long terms. 4 terms a year. You take 3 classes a term for a total of 12 classes a year.

We have 3 projects you need to graduate. A humanities project which which is equal to 1 class. I wrote a paper on Scientific America's coverage of World War 2. Then we have a junior year project which is non major related. 60% of students go abroad. I worked in a group with 3 other students(an ECE, 2 bios) at the British Museum on a project for 7 weeks. That is equal to 3 classes. Then we have a our senior project which is equal to 3 classes. I just completed an eclipse plugin that incorporates the document manager from Sourceforge into eclipse with another student.

I will be graduating with a BS in computer science in about a week, but most of my guy friends are civils, MEs, or ECEs and most of my girl friends are bio/biotechnology with a mix of biomedical engineering in there somewhere.

That said, the only people that don't graduate in 4 years at my university are people that fail too many classes or just don't don't plan well.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 03:06 PM

Bachelors of Science (Computer Science)
Masters of Engineering (Software Engineering)

Contemplating a Phd or MBA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules