Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Mac Newbie - What do I need to build applications on the iPhone?

Mac Newbie - What do I need to build applications on the iPhone?
dzogchener
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2009, 04:44 PM

Hi,

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, but I wasnt sure where to place this question. I have never owned a Mac before, and I am on a budget, but I would like to start developing applications for the iPhone. From my research it looks like the only real way to get going is to own a Mac and build on it. Could people please offer some advice on what I should consider? I was looking at MacBooks, and then realized I dont really know what is good and what isnt.

Thanks in advance,

D

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 5, 2009, 05:38 PM

Well, the most appropriate place would be the Developer Center forum.

But you are right, you must have a Macintosh to develop for iPhone. The developer tools (Xcode) are free, but to put your app on the App Store, you must join the iPhone developer program at $99/yr.

dzogchener  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2009, 05:58 PM

Tooki,

Thanks for your response. I have already engaged with that process of getting the developer subscription. My main concern now is what spec machine do I need to build iPhone applications on? I need a laptop type machine I can commute with, but I dont know anything about Macs. Any advice along those lines would be most welcomed

d

ibook_steve
Feb 5, 2009, 07:23 PM

I'm actually trying to do the same thing myself. Any MacBook or MacBook Pro with Leopard (10.5.x) should do.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2009, 08:28 PM

Any of the currently shipping Macs will be fine. I'm developing on a bottom-of-the-range Mac mini. (I already have a decent PowerMac G5, but the SDK requires an Intel Mac.)

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules