Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bicycling with a Dog

Bicycling with a Dog
Tiresias
Mar 21, 2009, 01:05 PM

I have a border collie whose exercise needs (as anyone who knows the breed will attest) are almost impossible to satisfy. If your dog won't fetch a ball (and mine, alas, won't) you are forced to absolutely kill yourself running, running, running... However, today I bought a really nice road bike and I'm hoping that he'll learn to run along side of it.

It sounds like a good idea, and I've seen photos of people doing it. But I also foresee the possibility of hitting the road in a tangle of man, dog, lead and bicycle.

Anyone done it? Tips and caveats welcome.

axlepin
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by toothpick_charlie View Post
I have a border collie whose exercise needs (as anyone who knows the breed will attest) are almost impossible to satisfy. If your dog won't fetch a ball (and mine, alas, won't) you are forced to absolutely kill yourself running, running, running... However, today I bought a really nice road bike and I'm hoping that he'll learn to run along side of it.

It sounds like a good idea, and I've seen photos of people doing it. But I also foresee the possibility of hitting the road in a tangle of man, dog, lead and bicycle.

Anyone done it? Tips and caveats welcome.

I strongly advise against riding a bike while walking your dog with a leash.

For one thing, dogs need supervision, even when bikes aren't around. They tend to want to bolt after this or that thing that catches their eye, and many dogs are severely in need of leash training (no disrespect to you or your dog..your dog might be the model of mature discipline).

But when you factor in yourself on a bike, you become an unpredictable rolling hazard to youself, others and to the dog.

what if something happens that you simply can't control happens? what if an aggressive dog goes by whose owner is zoned out on a iPod, and insists on picking a fight with YOUR dog?

Now you've got a tangle of dogs, you, leash and bike.

Or if another cyclist isn't paying attention, and heads straight for you, or insists on hogging the road. Without a dog, you can at least take evasive action, but WITH a dog, you're pretty well skr*wed.

Take the time to enjoy riding your bike, and walking your dog as separate experiences.

Walking a dog isn't simply a procedure to get his/her legs moving...dogs need to sniff around and see who's been where. To them, it's like being on the internet. Your friend deserves that.

And both of you and the dogs and people around you deserve to be safe.

a
OS X 10.4.4 | 2 X 1.42 Mac Mini, 1GB RAM each

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2009, 02:27 PM

I dunno, this sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Tiresias  (op)
Mar 21, 2009, 03:27 PM

But it is done... there are even special lead attachments for the purpose.

I know I asked for "tips and caveats" but I was thinking more along the lines of how to and not to do it rather than simply not to do it at all.

Dogs are clever in general, and border collies in particular, and I think you can train a dog to do almost anything.

However, I do appreciate your naysaying. It won't stop me, but it will remind me to be careful.

Tiresias  (op)
Mar 21, 2009, 03:28 PM

Here's that attachment I was talking about.

Tiresias  (op)
Mar 21, 2009, 03:33 PM

Plus, my dog is freakishly energetic and since he isn't into fetch I just can't tire him out any other way.

Yes, his not fetching contradicts my "teach a dog anything" remark, but border collies can be a bit funny about fetch. Some of them seem to think it's beneath them.

And I apologize for the +1 post whoring but it has been about a year since I posted here.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2009, 04:43 PM

I've never done this, but based on my experience with dogs, and the one time I've seen this turn out to be a disaster, you're going to have more trouble when you're going slow (i.e., your dog isn't expending most of its effort keeping up with you).

I think you need to consider your stability at slow speeds more than you're used to, and the need to be able to immediately get your feet off the pedals once you've stopped. I'd say toeclips are definitely out, and I'd even be cagey about those quick release jobbies. I'm not sure what the state of the art is, but it would have to be something you can use with shoes where you can be assured of traction once they hit the ground, and won't have to put your ankle through any weird stresses that could impact your immediate need for said traction.

The situation I saw go bad involved someone trying to do that "weave to stay upright while going very slow" sort of thing, and a squirrel tried to run past and got spooked by the dog, who went after the squirrel. In an attempt not to run over the dog and regain control of the situation, the cyclist snapped the squirrel's neck with her front wheel.

This was made worse by the fact that her face contorted in a genuine expression of guilt, but all she could do with that was speed off as quickly as possible, leaving us to figure out how to euthanize the poor thing as quickly as possible.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 21, 2009 at 04:57 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2009, 05:11 PM

How about a hampstor wheel for the dog ?

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2009, 05:19 PM

Where I live, I believe it's illegal to ride your bike towing your dog attached to a leash.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2009, 05:27 PM

I've known many people who do it all the time. I think your dog's general deportment on-leash has a lot to do with whether it's feasible. My dogs yank and veer at any little thing when I walk them, so I wouldn't even try with a bike unless I could get them to chill out. So without knowing your dog, I wouldn't jump to say it's a good or a bad idea.

On the other hand, the "road bike" part of the equation worries me. If you're going to try the cycling with your dog thing at all, you'll have far more control on a heavier bike that gives you a more upright seating position. If you have a heavier mountain bike, or even better, a fat-tire coaster-brake cruiser, try riding that with your dog first, then switch to the roadie if/when you're sure you have the hang of it.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2009, 10:49 PM

get a a treadmill; or two, so that you and the dog can go side to side as the both of you work out.

Tiresias  (op)
Mar 22, 2009, 03:24 AM

Cool. Thanks for the input.

I think it's gonna work. My dog is pretty well trained cos' I've been working really hard at it. I've got him loose-lead walking, but the exception to this is when he sees a leaf or piece of trash blowing past, which he generally lunges at. However, the exception seems to be when we run. Keeping pace with me seems to preoccupy him, and he does really have time to sniff at things when he's running.

I'm going to go give it a try right now. Unless I am flattened by a bus or otherwise hospitalized, I'll post back and let you know how it went.

Tiresias  (op)
Mar 22, 2009, 06:07 AM

Just got back from an hour-long bike ride, and I have to say it went swimmingly.

If you have a dog that needs a lot of exercise, this is a brilliant way to do it. The key is to get your dog loose-lead walking and jogging before jumping on your bike. Presently, my dog (perhaps for the first time since I got the insanely-energetic little black and white whirlwind) is stretched out on the floor, fast asleep.

Today's lesson: two wheels beats four legs.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 10:19 AM

I used to rollerblade with a dog- husky, he would pull me and he loved it. I lived in an area with almost zero traffic and good roads though- hard to find combination.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2009, 11:46 AM

Suggestion #1: steroids so that you can keep up with your dog
Suggestion #2: drowsy pills of some sort to mellow your dog
Suggestion #3: robot dog walking slave

Tiresias  (op)
Mar 22, 2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
... My dogs yank and veer at any little thing when I walk them, so I wouldn't even try with a bike unless I could get them to chill out ...
I used to really struggle with this. Then someone who has been training dogs for 20 years taught me the secret to loose-lead walking.

You do not even need a prong or choke collar, just a flat collar and a 6 foot lead.

First, you need to understand that dogs have something called an opposition reflex. When there's tension on the lead, they pull against it, instinctively. In a nutshell, teaching your dog to walk nicely involves introducing an unconditional law into their world: a tight lead equals zero forward progress. As soon as your dog pulls, stop. Pull him back, until the lead is nice and loose. Then start walking. Your dog will pull again, and you'll stop again and jerk him back until he is by your side. If he doesn't stop pulling after two or three stops, change directions: simply drop the slack and walk fast in the opposite direction. You dog will reach the end of the teether and be yanked after you. The advantage of dropping the slack is that your dog does not associate the correction with you, but with "being distant from you", which is exactly what you want. If he does walk by your side, feed him a couple of tasty treats. You want him to learn that by your side is where good things happen, while straying from your side leads to a correction.

Pretty soon your dog learns that if he wants to move forward the lead has to be loose—and he wants to move forward. The biggest mistake you can make is to walk while the lead is tight. If you do this, you are rewarding bad behavior: you dog gets to sniff at something he is lunging at, and is rewarded for pulling.

My dog was a really bad puller, and it took a while for this to sink in. But it will sink in if you're consistent. Every dog can be taught to walk nicely. You should be able to hold a cup of coffee in the same hand as the lead. Otherwise, go back to square one until he gets it.
( Last edited by Tiresias; Mar 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM. )

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2009, 01:16 PM

My dog never got the hang of it, but his owner (me) wasn't that well-trained, disciplined, or bright...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by toothpick_charlie View Post
Today's lesson: two wheels beats four legs.
That may be so, as I once outran a couple of stray dogs that started chasing me while on my bike - somewhat of a scary experience, but the bike did indeed win. However, I'd still be nervous as hell if I saw someone walking a dog while on a bike - you're just asking for trouble by doing that. I wouldn't be surprised if either you, your dog, or some poor bystander eventually ended up getting injured as a result of this.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 22, 2009, 08:07 PM

My mom carries her dog in a basket on her bike.

Tiresias  (op)
Mar 22, 2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
That may be so, as I once outran a couple of stray dogs that started chasing me while on my bike - somewhat of a scary experience, but the bike did indeed win.
When I was fourteen, I used to get chased by an insane German Shepherd every time I rode past a certain house on my way to my friend's house. On my rusty BMX, I was only about 1 or 2 km faster than the dog. I knew where the house was, and would get my speed up. Then the dog would be in pursuit, snapping at my rear wheel, until the distance between us very, very slowly increased to about 10 meters, after which point he would give up.

It was exhilarating, to say the least.

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
However, I'd still be nervous as hell if I saw someone walking a dog while on a bike - you're just asking for trouble by doing that. I wouldn't be surprised if either you, your dog, or some poor bystander eventually ended up getting injured as a result of this.
Not really.

I don't know what you think I mean by "cycling with my dog", but I certainly do not mean tearing down hills at 65 km. With my dog, I take it very slowly, going at about jogging speed. At that speed, an accident would only be clumsy and embarrassing, not dangerous. If there are people around, I slow down to a fast walk. If the street is empty, then and only then will I cautiously pick up the pace.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2009, 12:22 AM

I'm guessing you live in a building. I have a Boxer and he runs everyday in our backyard. He even throws himself a ball and goes after it. He is just like another person in the house: independent.

BTW, what is your dog's name? Mine is called Galileo Sebastián, but he goes for Gali or Leo.

Tiresias  (op)
Mar 23, 2009, 09:28 AM

Despite having incredible amounts of energy, border collies won't exercise on their own, no matter how spacious your yard. They need human motivation.

Yet another reason why they are the most high-maintenance dogs in the world.

My dog's name is Blake, by the way.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2009, 10:47 AM

Just be sure to keep an eye on his toe-pads. You don't want them getting abraded, worn down, or eventually bloody from running on asphalt or concrete.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Suggestion #3: robot dog walking slave
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules