Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > September 1st Apple Event

September 1st Apple Event (Page 4)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
What's the advantage of this over having both a 360 and PS3?
I just ordered one, and I'm going to see how I like it.

The advantage is that my 360 and PS3 are hooked up to the 47" in the living room. The AppleTV is getting hooked up to my 32" in the bedroom. We watch DVDs in the bedroom every night, but never Netflix Instant Play because we don't want to plop a laptop between us in bed, and we haven't had a desire to buy a Roku player.

Basically, the AppleTV is going to be our bedroom Netflix player that we sometimes use to subscribe to shows like House via iTunes (there's probably about 5 shows we'll subscribe to). I'm going to see how well I like it. If I love it, then we'll get another for the living room.

[EDIT] Also, the PS3's Netflix access is Blu-ray disc based. Thpt.

[EDIT #2] Also, it's a shame Apple didn't ink a deal with Hulu+ that could've been integrated into the AppleTV.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The iPod Touch was, and still is an amazing device... but this wasn't an amazing update. That's my point.

It's always been an iPhone without the phone. Now it's an iPhone 4 without the phone.
It's one thing to maintain that this is an iPhone 4 without the phone. That is absolutely 100% true.

It's quite another to assert that this isn't an amazing update:

1) even smaller than the previous version

2) adds retina display (MAJOR update)

3) adds front facing camera (MAJOR update)

4) adds A4 processor (MAJOR update)

Yes, it's an iPhone 4 without the phone but that doesn't negate the fact that it's a "amazing" update. I had no interest in the previous version. The updates they made have convinced me to get one to replace my Classic.

This will tide me over until the iPhone 4 comes out on Verizon. Even then, not sure I would replace my Droid Incredible if I have this Touch to use all the iPhone apps I already have and can now use FaceTime.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 04:14 PM

What's the advantage of this over having both a 360 and PS3?
99 cent TV rentals and Apple doesn't force you pay $60 year to use Netflix on their device. Plus I have a few DRMed videos from iTunes (Pixar short films and Looney Tunes) that Connect360 or PS3 can't play.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The AppleTV is getting hooked up to my 32" in the bedroom.
Bingo.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
99 cent TV rentals and Apple doesn't force you pay $60 year to use Netflix on their device. Plus I have a few DRMed videos from iTunes (Pixar short films and Looney Tunes) that Connect360 or PS3 can't play.
The cost of gold membership is a bit of red herring. I bet the percentage of 360 owners who don't have it probably have a PS3 too.

Are people here big on rentals? Given the cost difference I'd probably prefer to own outright.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Jesus Spheric, way to miss the point of my original post.

You know, I don't give a shit about you constant need to nitpick everyone, but I've really come to take issue with your becoming Steve's lapdog. Can anyone not buy the Gospel of Apple without you feeling the need to show them the Light?
I was responding to your original post BEFORE you edited it.

The point I'm making is that at $300, NOBODY bought the AppleTV. It simply had too little to offer.

Now, it's $20 more than an Airport Express, and has the added functionality over the AEx that it streams video, which is a function a LOT of people have wished the Airport Express would offer. These people have made do with a clutter of cables and their MacBook perched on the shelf by the TV.

I think I get what Apple is doing, and I think their decisions make sense.

I'm not the target market for this thing, nor am I the target market for iPad in its current iteration. I still think Apple's decisions are making perfect sense for what they're trying to achieve/sell.

If the fact that you don't makes me Steve's laptop, that's an opinion we're both just gonna have to live with.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster

I just ordered one, and I'm going to see how I like it.

The advantage is that my 360 and PS3 are hooked up to the 47" in the living room. The AppleTV is getting hooked up to my 32" in the bedroom. We watch DVDs in the bedroom every night, but never Netflix Instant Play because we don't want to plop a laptop between us in bed, and we haven't had a desire to buy a Roku player.

Basically, the AppleTV is going to be our bedroom Netflix player that we sometimes use to subscribe to shows like House via iTunes (there's probably about 5 shows we'll subscribe to). I'm going to see how well I like it. If I love it, then we'll get another for the living room.

[EDIT] Also, the PS3's Netflix access is Blu-ray disc based. Thpt.
Ditto. Although mine will replace my old Apple TV in my living room, which I never use. Netflix built-in is what convinced me to replace it. If I like it, I will probably get one for the bedroom as well.

Sucks, because I just bought a Roku HD for my wife to use in her office - only for Netflix. Oh well.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN

The iPod Touch is an awesome update except for 2 major issues

1. Low resolution camera stills
2. No GPS
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post

The point I'm making is that at $300, NOBODY bought the AppleTV.
That's a lie. Dakar bought one.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Ditto. Although mine will replace my old Apple TV in my living room, which I never use. Netflix built-in is what convinced me to replace it. If I like it, I will probably get one for the bedroom as well.
The bedroom TV maxing out at 720p is going to make the lack of 1080p a bit more tolerable as well. I'm guessing a future iteration will support 1080p, but probably only in another 4-6 years when average Internet speeds (presumably) rise.

I have some friends in New Orleans that have been in loved with their AppleTV for about two years now. He's been trying to sell me on it for a long time, but I haven't REALLY considered it until today.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2010, 04:26 PM

The point I'm making is that at $300, NOBODY bought the AppleTV. It simply had too little to offer.
Steve said when the Apple TV first came out that it was a "hobby". It's no longer a "hobby" for Apple. The low price point of this device tied to streaming iTunes content and renting TV shows and movies and playing Netflix out of the box shows that Apple is intent on entering your living room.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2010, 04:29 PM

The bedroom TV maxing out at 720p is going to make the lack of 1080p a bit more tolerable as well. I'm guessing a future iteration will support 1080p, but probably only in another 4-6 years when average Internet speeds (presumably) rise.
Exactly. Both my living room and bedroom TVs are 720p. For 1080p, like you I have a 47" 1080p TV hooked up to a PS3 (and a Mac Mini).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 04:36 PM

Maybe AppleTV should be renamed AppleVideo or something, because it does not do television?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2010, 04:41 PM

I was responding to your original post BEFORE you edited it.
It still missed the point of my original post you disagreed with, where I was talking about features, not price.

I think I get what Apple is doing, and I think their decisions make sense.

If the fact that you don't makes me Steve's laptop, that's an opinion we're both just gonna have to live with.
It ain't about this. Sorry, but it's seems like lately every thread I read where someone airs their disapproval over some aspect of Apple's thinking, you feel the need to swoop in and correct it.

Disagreement I can live with, when it doesn't feel dogmatic.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
That's a lie. Dakar bought one.
They see me syncin'

They hatin'

n00bs hopin' to catch me syncin' dirty

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 04:42 PM

The are HD movie rentals on Zune in 1080p for $4.99...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2010, 04:45 PM

BTW, I love Steve's commentary on nobody understanding syncing. Because anyone with an iPod, iPhone or iPad hasn't dealt with that.

(Yes, I understand that there's a difference between OTA and USB syncing. Maybe this explains why Apple won't do wireless syncing)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 04:45 PM

The iPod nano looks like a fun gadget to hack. It'd make one awesome watch/mp3 player.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Maybe AppleTV should be renamed AppleVideo or something, because it does not do television?
The TV stands for what you hook it up to, not what it does Though doesn't TV Shows count as "TV"?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Steve said when the Apple TV first came out that it was a "hobby". It's no longer a "hobby" for Apple. The low price point of this device tied to streaming iTunes content and renting TV shows and movies and playing Netflix out of the box shows that Apple is intent on entering your living room.
Yup.
It still missed the point of my original post you disagreed with, where I was talking about features, not price.
Sure, the feature has been there. But nobody (well, very few) cared, at $300.

Features are irrelevant if nobody's prepared to buy them.

It ain't about this. Sorry, but it's seems like lately every thread I read where someone airs their disapproval over some aspect of Apple's thinking, you feel the need to swoop in and correct it.

Lemme mull on that for a while. I'll get back to you.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 04:52 PM

I do think that the new iPod Touch is a nice upgrade. When I say "meh" I mean that it's "meh" from a wowing the audience perspective. The nice upgrades were all expected.

The new shuffle is a step back in the right direction as well.

I still have my doubts about this new nano. Off the top of my head, in terms of NEW features, the Nano adds...

A smaller form factor
A built in clip
A novel touch interface

It's worse because...

edit: IT CAN NO LONGER PLAY VIDEO!
It can't take pictures
It can't be controlled in a pocket*
The screen got smaller
No accelerometer
No games
No coverflow

The most important thing in my mind is that there isn't a single new feature added by the touch interface. It seriously adds absolutely nothing beyond novelty. Is it better than a wheel in any way? Does it add a single new ability or feature or convenience or or anything?

That's what I'm confused about. once the novelty of a cool tiny touch screen wears off it looks like it would actually be clunkier.

*I know you can control it with the headphones.
( Last edited by ort888; Sep 1, 2010 at 05:37 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 04:52 PM

FWIW I have noticed this sort of pro-Apple fervor from Spheric as well. It's rather intense, particularly when it becomes confrontational (and IMHO, fights over Apple stuff are pretty much always needless). Not to gang up on him or turn this into a big thing, just making him aware of how it comes across...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 04:55 PM

No games
Until it gets jailbroken.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2010, 04:56 PM

FWIW I have noticed this sort of pro-Apple fervor from Spheric as well. It's rather intense, particularly when it becomes confrontational (and IMHO, fights over Apple stuff are pretty much always needless). Not to gang up on him or turn this into a big thing, just making him aware of how it comes across...
And I've experienced pro-Linux fervor from you. So what?

A forum without passionate posters is dead boring. And this place is too quiet most of the time anyways.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2010, 04:57 PM

Sure, the feature has been there. But nobody (well, very few) cared, at $300.

Features are irrelevant if nobody's prepared to buy them.
Again, not the point! No one in the discussion I was referring to mentioned price.

Lemme mull on that for a while. I'll get back to you.
If you want. I didn't mention it to get you to defend or justify yourself. I'm certainly not going go out of my way to justify my opinion.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
And this place is too quiet most of the time anyways.
You missed my performance in the vaccination thread, which I've had to stop posting to.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 05:00 PM

It can't take pictures
of note, the 5G could only do video, no stills.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2010, 05:00 PM

Apple TV. $99 for you. £99 for us. I see Apple have just given up pretending about currency conversion now then.

Strip the VAT out of the UK price and thats $130
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 05:04 PM

€120 here. Heh.

Ouch.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 05:12 PM

Epic Citadel for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd generation), and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Epic Citadel

You can download a free demo of the unreal engine on the iOS. It's not the actual game, just a walk through of the environment.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Apple TV. $99 for you. £99 for us. I see Apple have just given up pretending about currency conversion now then.

Strip the VAT out of the UK price and thats $130
Talk to your government about import duties and cost of doing business. Like health care, pension plans etc. Not saying that there won't still be a difference, but these things count.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 05:20 PM

The are HD movie rentals on Zune in 1080p for $4.99...
Guess I need to actually use that on 360 from time to time.

BTW, I love Steve's commentary on nobody understanding syncing. Because anyone with an iPod, iPhone or iPad hasn't dealt with that.
Yeah, that kind of left me puzzled as well. Even my mother understands the syncing process (I cannot stress how big of a deal that is).

I think "television" is a more malleable term in 2010.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
And since we can't get Netflix here (IIRC), you might as well go for...
WDTV- HD media player - Tesco.Direct
£77.99. From Tesco.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 05:23 PM

AppleTV should be rename AppleVideo?

Then iTunes should be rename to iMedia Hub.

AppleTV should be rename iMedia Box.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 05:25 PM

So the iPod nano neither records nor plays video.

We'll see how big a deal that is with the kids - I'm pretty sure that it was used at least for watching video a fair bit in the past…

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2010, 05:25 PM

Epic Citadel for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd generation), and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Epic Citadel

You can download a free demo of the unreal engine on the iOS. It's not the actual game, just a walk through of the environment.
Awesome. The graphics are astonishing.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 05:35 PM

So the iPod nano neither records nor plays video.

We'll see how big a deal that is with the kids - I'm pretty sure that it was used at least for watching video a fair bit in the past…
Holy crap, you're right. No where on the features page of the Nano does it mention video playback. Talk about a BIG step backwards.

Wow. Nanos have played video for about 3 years now, right?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 05:39 PM

The new iPod nano might be a poor performer in terms of sales.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 05:42 PM

Holy crap, you're right. No where on the features page of the Nano does it mention video playback. Talk about a BIG step backwards.

Wow. Nanos have played video for about 3 years now, right?
Played videos since 3G, recorded for the 5G.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
It will sell like crazy, I'm sure.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 05:52 PM

I wanna buy a nano just to hack it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2010, 06:06 PM

They did say sales were going to the Touch, so I guess this might encourage that trend to continue.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 06:15 PM

They did say sales were going to the Touch, so I guess this might encourage that trend to continue.
Yeah. I think the sales will go to the Touch instead. I don't see a lot of kids buying the iPod Nano over the iPod touch. Games, music, video recording, and apps.

The iPod Nano appeals to those who want to exercise with a small music device. Then again, some just will opt for the ipod shuffle instead.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2010, 06:24 PM

[EDIT #2] Also, it's a shame Apple didn't ink a deal with Hulu+ that could've been integrated into the AppleTV.
You did catch Steve make a comment about being commercial free in the very beginning, right? I think he was poking fun at Hulu+ which costs money and still has ads.

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
The iPod nano looks like a fun gadget to hack. It'd make one awesome watch/mp3 player.
Lol, I don't think the nano requires any major hacking to make it into an awesome mp3 player.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 06:37 PM

Or a watch either. You can set it to show the nice clock when you hit power.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Lol, I don't think the nano requires any major hacking to make it into an awesome mp3 player.
But I'd want to load up my own custom apps on it, including games and different watch styles.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
And I've experienced pro-Linux fervor from you. So what?

A forum without passionate posters is dead boring. And this place is too quiet most of the time anyways.

Passion is great. However, when passion becomes so overwhelming that we find ourselves arguing and getting at each other's throats over whose products are the best, maybe certain people need to think about a healthier balance?

Some of us just want accuracy with what is said, which can also be construed as zealotry. The sort of people I'm addressing here that I feel go too far are the people that seem to take attacks on the "platform" or the company that makes the platform personally.

I say just use what works best and allows you to do what it is that you love to do the easiest. The more and more experienced I become in this field, the more I realize that platforms don't really matter a whole lot. I use to be a big Mac zealot myself, but now I really don't give a shit about things such as what Apple's profits were last quarter, and I know many other experienced IT guys that feel the same way. You either understand TCP/IP networking, programming, graphic design, system analysis/admin stuff, etc. or whatever it is that you are into, or you don't. The smartest dudes are not going to freak out if you put a new GUI or operating system in front of them. They may grumble, but they'll cope - they aren't tethered to the OS or feel some sense of loyalty to "the platform".
( Last edited by besson3c; Sep 1, 2010 at 07:18 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 07:17 PM

I think "television" is a more malleable term in 2010.

Yeah, I guess so...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 07:20 PM

I rather buy a use Mac Mini and run the new Plex.
This.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
But I'd want to load up my own custom apps on it, including games and different watch styles.
I'm sure it's locked down incredibly tight.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 08:11 PM

I'm sure it's locked down incredibly tight.
You're probably right. On second look it appears that it doesn't run iOS.

Shoot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules