Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How slow can iWeb be????

How slow can iWeb be????
italy77
Apr 28, 2006, 09:46 PM

Sometimes iWeb uploads pages fast (when I say fast, I mean within 3-5 minutes, which is fast for iWeb), sometimes it loads pages excruciatingly slow. Like now for instance. I created a page with literally two words of text on it and it has taken (so far) SEVENTEEN MINUTES to upload the page to my site. It is STILL saying "Uploading to .Mac"

Is this a problem with iDisk or the software? And how come RapidWeaver can upload an entire site in 5 minutes but it takes now 20 minutes and counting to upload one page with 2 words of text and no images in iWeb????

Seattle
Apr 28, 2006, 10:25 PM

I would guess it is .mac traffic. I have a iWeb site and I publish to a folder and then copy to my web server and it seems fast. No slowness in the software for me. I am running iWeb on a G4 iMac.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 10:29 PM

It's not .Mac, it's because iWeb converts text into PNG files. There is a long discussion over at the Apple Support Forum.

I started out using iWeb because it was so simple. I have since abandoned it because it was so slow.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
It's not .Mac, it's because iWeb converts text into PNG files.
Please tell me you're kidding or that's a typo.

Seattle
Apr 28, 2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
It's not .Mac, it's because iWeb converts text into PNG files. There is a long discussion over at the Apple Support Forum.

I started out using iWeb because it was so simple. I have since abandoned it because it was so slow.

I took a look at my iWeb files and the text is in the html files (I publish to a folder). Some of the headings and large text are picture files though. What software do you use now?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 03:36 AM

I've switched to an open-source (free) software called Joomla. It's a content management system.

jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2006, 07:15 PM

I haven't noticed any of the slowness that you mention. And at any rate, the limiting factor is network speed and the .Mac iDisk service, not iWeb. From what I understand, iWeb is doing several things besides uploading your content when it is saying "Uploading to .mac". This includes logging in, checking space available, and querying the last sync state of your web folder. These are all prone to the slowness of .Mac, but never have I seen iWeb spend more than about 30 seconds in this phase. Then the messages change to "Uploading [pagename]" and each successive page is updated as necessary.

Anyways, sorry some people seem to have a crummy time with software. I have nothing but complimentary things to say about iWeb. From no web page knowledge to an entertaining blog literally overnight! Can't wait to see what Apple has up its sleeves for Version 2!

James
http://www.dirtdoog.com
Sign my Guestmap if you get the chance!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 11:11 PM

The "slowness" of iWeb is not just because of .Mac alone. In fact many users of iWeb are not .Mac users. I am not a .Mac user and sites created using iWeb load slower (sometimes much slower) than other sites created using other programs (such as RapidWeaver). See the discussion over at the Apple Support Forum, iWeb (read from the middle of the page down).

Forum Links
Forum Rules