Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 Internet Conflict

OS 9 Internet Conflict
Mitser
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2000, 02:54 AM

Hello everyone. I recently upgraded to OS 9 from 8.6. My main source of internet is AOL 4.0. My problem is AOL frequently crashes because od a type 2 or 3 error. Also my computer freezes up frequently when restarting it. I have attempted a clean install of OS 9 several times. Is their a conflict with my software or what? PLease help?!?!?!?!
Thanx in advance,
Mitser

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2000, 01:32 PM

I'm not sure if there is a conflict or not, but my advise would be to make sure after you do a clean install to update all of your system software as well... there have been several software updates made by Apple... many that affect connectivity. Hope this helps. Also, don't know if you were having any of the same conflicts, but a recent article on MacFixIt discusses TCP/IP conflicts with AOL and suggests:

"AOL offers advice on setting up TCP/IP for AOL. Judith Whetter encountered a problem with AOL and both of her new Macs (an iMac and an iBook, running Mac OS 9). She writes: "On both computers, I noticed a 'warning' that would appear at every startup regarding the need to set up TCP properly for AOL use. The warning went away on the iBook after I removed AOL and its extensions. As for the iMac DV, I noticed that certain TCP functions (such as web access) would often fail partially or completely while using AOL. This would be fixed if I went to TCP/IP control panel and 'reset' the settings, but the problem resumed again after a while." AOL tech support offered the following advice (which worked!):

1.Close down all programs and launch the TCP/IP control panel.
2.Click on File on menu bar. Choose Configuration . Set Active configuration to Default. Then click on "Make Active " button.
3.Top box.... "Change connect Via" to AOL LINK ENHANCED.
4.Then change Configure to "Using Boot P Server"
5.If the IP Address says "Will be supplied by server" - then we will move on to the next step.
6.Sub Net Mask Box Type 255.255.0.0. (You will need to be in Advanced User mode to do this)
7.Save the settings and quit TCP/IP. restart the Mac."

This may or may not help! Best of luck!

Cheers!
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris_G (edited 02-14-2000).]

Mitser  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2000, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the advice, I am currently out of town and posting this away from my iMac. When I return I will give it a try. Hopefully it well work.
Thank you!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules