Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > sysKas.#### files?

sysKas.#### files?
Trevor
Feb 22, 2000, 04:31 AM

Anyone know what sysKas.### files are that reside in the system folder?

I have seen them in there (they are invisible) since OS 8.5 (8.5, 8.5.1, 8.6, 9.0), but can't figure out what they are. I have three different ones named sysKas. then followed by four numbers.

The files contain "garbage" characters when viewed with a utility like MacLink...

Only one seems to be getting modified every so often (according to the mod date). I would like to know if I can delete them and what they do/are for.

Thanks

Seagull
Feb 22, 2000, 09:13 AM

Well, why don't you try moving them to a folder on the desktop for example and see what happen or see if any program cannot run without them.

A good utility for dealing with invisible files is File Buddy which you can get at http://www.skytag.com/FileBuddy.stuff/fb_download.html

Misha
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2000, 09:18 AM

Invisible files are invisible so that you don't accidentally delete them or move them around. I'd leave them alone, especially any file that begins with "sys".

Mike_Mn
Feb 22, 2000, 08:50 PM

If it is on the root level of the System Folder, I believe it belongs to MacLink and contains your registration information. So don�t delete it or you�ll have to redue your installation and registration.

Trevor
Feb 23, 2000, 10:40 PM

Mike nailed it... it's the maclink registration files...

Thanks a bunch... now I can trash them and have only one... having multiple ones with different modification dates has made it so that maclink keeps wanting me to register it over and over again... hopefully trashing the files and having only one will resolve that. Thanks again. This thread is over with!

-T

Trevor
Feb 23, 2000, 10:52 PM

Just wanted to confirm that the sysKas.#### file(s) WERE in fact the maclink registration info (if you view them from within maclink, they contain "garbage" characters.

So - invisible sysKas.### file = MacLink registration info file at the root of the System Folder

BTW: Greg's Browser is a much friendlier utility to use for manipulating invisible (make that ALL) files...

Mike_Mn
Feb 23, 2000, 11:51 PM

I know for sure that sys.kas.5495 is the registration info for MacLink + V.10.003 because that is one I put on this computer. Naturally the info on the serial # is in code and looks like �garbage� characters when viewed. I had another Dataviz program and it was called webbuddy or something like that but they discontinued development for it and only went to system 8.1 I think. That one was on the root level of the system folder but I can�t remember the name. MacLink was the only program that I know of to use sysKas file.
Greg�s Browser is ver good.
I like to use Alsoft�s free contextual menu plugin called �change visibility� to look into folders and make an invisible file visible for transfer to the trash. If you click on a file you can make it invisible also with this plugin.
Run Installer Observer before installing a program and then you will know what has been installed and where.
Hope this helps
Mike

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2000, 12:08 AM

alsoft's free CMM useful for file visibility issues: http://www.Alsoft.com/AskAl/download.html

it can be selected from the dropmenu on the above page...

Forum Links
Forum Rules