Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9.0 and Internet Exploder 4.5

MacOS 9.0 and Internet Exploder 4.5
Drew
Nov 4, 1999, 04:11 PM

It appears Internet Explorer bombs more often under MacOS 9. It also seems like it bombs for no good reason if you leave it running for a few hours. Anyone else have this problem?

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 1999, 05:31 PM

I have had no problems whatsoever with Mac OS 9 and IE 4.5.

Parrish
Nov 4, 1999, 07:01 PM

I had lots of IE 4.5 crashes under OS 8.6 but not any with OS 9. I did perform a clean install to address some other problems. Everything now is solid.

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 1999, 08:13 PM

Drew,

Have you increased the memory allocation? As with all things Microsoft more memory = more stable.

I've have mine set to 15MB and have had no crashes with OS9.

Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

Drew
Nov 4, 1999, 09:13 PM

Hmmm, the actually the two things I leave running are Internet Explorer and Outlook Express 5.0. I wonder which one is actually causing the problem. Before it seemed like IE was bombing occasionally when I clicked something, but maybe it was actually OE checking my mail in the background. I'm giving IE 25 megs of RAM. I hope OS X will let us see exactly which app is bombing.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 1999, 02:00 AM

IE4.5 is not bombing but it sure uses up a ton of memory in OS 9 - for me, its currently using 51MB!

Frank

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 1999, 01:46 PM

I've used IE 4.5 and Netscape for a while, and I tend to like Netscape better, but I think I'm going to switch over to iCab as soon as it supports Javascript. These HUGE memory footprints for browsers are just rediculous!
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

M Gerenser
Nov 6, 1999, 12:25 PM

I've used IE and Netscape back and forth, but I finally ditched Netscape. I had to. IE is faster on my G4 with OE 5 installed, more stable, supports Mac-like features and supports Internet Config. Netscape is bloated, ugly and unfortunately too "Windozey." Honestly, IE 4.5 has never crashed, bombed or locked up for me, and on my G4 and my iBook, takes less than 2 seconds to launch.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

TigerN28763
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 1999, 03:15 PM

Netscape is rock steady for me in OS 9, no matter what extension set, OR what programs are open. However, IE is still sensitive to other programs with which it is sharing the Mac. I normally run a mix of between 10 and 12 programs all the time, some large (Illustrator, InDesign and Quark all at once) and some small (calculator). ONLY IE and the notorious Quark have crashed at all.

I operate a mix of extensions and programs that work together and I try to use missbehaved programs (MS Office also doesn't like control panels that "play with menus") in a solitary mode.

I found that I have superb results on both a G3/350 and a PB G3 with clean installations, and then reinstalling all my 3rd party extensions a couple at a time. Whenever I install anything into the system folder, I make a stuffed backup of it BEFORE I use it so I always have a virgin copy.

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 1999, 04:56 AM

On the memory issue, IE 4.5 gobbles up RAM to cache web pages to RAM cache, rather than a disk cache. Of course, Microsoft has given us absolutely no way of controlling the upper ceiling of IE 4.5's RAM consumption, calling it a feature not a bug.

It is quite literally possible to push IE 4.5's memory requirments up to amazing levels. I have 256MB of RAM in my Mac; I once had IE 4.5 up to about 210MB of RAM. Amazing, eh? (I remember when a hard drive that size was cool beans...)

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 1999, 09:35 AM

Beginning with 8.5 (correct me if im wrong) Macos supports temporary memory, MSIE uses this. As soon as you quit outta MSIE, you get the memory back, or so you should.
I use IE4.5 with no problems, rock solid here, never crashes or anything, but i think i agree with pastusza. As soon as icab ships, ill start using that.

------------------
-See Yea!

mkg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 1999, 12:27 PM

I hope the Opera Mac Browser lives up to the hype that Opera is dishing. The PC version works very well.

I have been having a slight "complete freeze" problem with OS 9 (clean install), and either the new MS librasries that come with OE 5. Every 2 days or so, the system just locks up. Force Quit isn't available, a hard restart is necessary, and life just isn't that great any more. Has anyone had this type of problem? Before the update, 8.6 would crash on me maybe once every 2 months (under very heavy use).

jtm
Nov 8, 1999, 04:23 PM

Rock solid with Netscape 4.7 and OS9!

jtm

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 1999, 05:06 PM

I'd have to concur with drew; i have oe 5 8MB) and ie4.5 (16mb) open, and after browsing awhile, my dv se completely freezes. it totally sucks, especially if you have some other apps running (although i've done said setup w/o other apps running.)

damn macos. damn ms. damn incompetent sw management! i'm typing this on my (more, not perfect) stable nt wkststn at work. don't make me switch...

QuatermassX
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 1999, 10:48 PM

I have heard from my company's techies, that the IE 4.5 big bomb with OS8.5/8.6/9 is due to a nasty conflict with the current OpenGL drivers.

There was also a problem a little while ago with IE and running at millions of colours. This was supposedly solved by an ATI update several months ago, but after a while IE just froze my machine!! Yikes!

QuatermassX
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 1999, 12:21 AM

I FINALLY got the final release version of OpenGL 1.1.2 with the large Descent demo (thank the maker for cable modems) and installed the updated driver. IE WORKS BEAUTIFULLY NOW!

Try it yourself!

andrewc
Nov 20, 1999, 01:40 AM

I was having tons of crashes with OS 9 and IE 4.5. I then installed OE 5, which installs new versions of the various MS internet libraries. Now IE 4.5 (and OS 9) is rock stable.

Aldie
Nov 20, 1999, 06:34 AM

I don't have ANY problems at all with Explorer 4.5... I'm using mac OS 9 for 3 weeks now and I never had a crash with IE 4.5 But IE 5 will be much more stable =) (I hope)

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 1999, 01:30 AM

Well, I've installed OpenGL 1.1.2, which seems to have upped the stability level by miles!

I've since run 12 apps (as normal) with 0 crashes. (I think it must've been an Open Transport/ MS libraries bug --had these freezes, also without OGL, with 8.5+, who knows?) Must've solved something. No crashes (X-fingers), except for repeatedly hitting the front power button to sleep while PPP-connected (uh, my fault? yeah).

Now I can get back to work. If only... http://discuss.info.apple.com/boards...9?OpenDocument

would work...

-j

Forum Links
Forum Rules