Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Converting Cassette Tapes to CDs (heres how)

Converting Cassette Tapes to CDs (heres how)
Scifience
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2003, 04:35 PM

---MAKE CDS OUT OF CASSETTE TAPES---
by [email protected]

:::Requirements
Mac OS X 10.2
iMovie 2
iTunes 3
QuickTime Pro 6
Cassette Player with Headphone Jack
Audio Patch Cable

:::What To Do
Connect your cassette player to your Mac's LINE IN jack using an audio patch cable. Plug one end into your player's
headphone jack, and the other end into the LINE IN port.

Open the System Preferences application, and select the option for sound preferences. Select the input tab, and make sure
that LINE IN is selected. Quit System Preferences.

Open the iMovie 2 application. Create a new movie file called MUSIC. Select the Audio button, and click on the Record Voice
option. Press the Play button on your tape deck. Adjust the volume on your player so that the sound level meter in iMovie
is not red. Be careful not to make it too loud, or this will cause distortion of the sound. If you make it too quiet, it
will be hard to hear.

When the tape is done playing, press the Stop button on your cassette player, and click the Stop button in iMovie.

Go to the File menu, and choose Export Movie. Select QuickTime, and save the file to the Desktop. Depending on the length
of the tape, this may take some time to complete. When it is done, quit iMovie without saving changes.

Next, open the movie file that you created in QuickTime Pro. Choose Export from the File menu, and then Export. Choose
Sound as WAV from the drop-down menu. Then click OK. Again, this may take some time to complete.

When QuickTime Pro has completed exporting the sound as a WAV file, quit the program. Now, open the WAV file in iTunes.
The file will start playing. Click the Pause button. Now, go to the Advanced menu and select Convert Selection to MP3.
When this has finished, press the DELETE button on your keyboard, and click OK. Allow iTunes to delete the file from its
library. The MP3 file is all that will remain.

Next, you may wish to add tags to your file. To do this, press Command+I and fill out the information.

Congratulations! You're done!

RedStarr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 06:47 PM

Thank you so very much

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2003, 07:27 PM

or use Sound Studio, Amadeus, or any sound editing application) and import the songs as AIFF files using the same equipment mentioned above. (I actually have a RCA to headphone jack converter so that I can use a higher quality cassette deck.)

Several benefits: Only 2 steps. (record to AIFF, convert to MP3)
You can easily fade in and out selections.
You can change the volume of the track.\
You save a lot of time.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
or use Sound Studio, Amadeus, or any sound editing application) and import the songs as AIFF files using the same equipment mentioned above. (I actually have a RCA to headphone jack converter so that I can use a higher quality cassette deck.)

Several benefits: Only 2 steps. (record to AIFF, convert to MP3)
You can easily fade in and out selections.
You can change the volume of the track.\
You save a lot of time.
True, very true. However, I was trying not to get into using shareware programs that most people don't have. Quite a few more Mac users have QuickTime Pro 6 than have one of the programs you mentioned. You are correct that your way is easier, IF you have the money to spend on one of these shareware programs. I personally find the $30 on QuickTime Pro much easier to justify because it does more than just record audio. As far as the RCA adapter, I have one of those too. The only problem is that my good stereo is two rooms away, and I would need a really long cable in order to use that. I found a portable cassette player a much easier solution, and the sound quality is almost as good. Again, it was only a general tutorial, and there is always more than one way to skin a cat, or in this case, copy a cassette tape.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2003, 08:55 PM

Or you could just import it directly into SparkME, which is a free audio app. You get the full program, and it has no shareware charges at all.

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2003, 08:57 PM

You can also probably use this to import copy protected CDs to your mac by pluging in a CD playder instead of a tape player

YoungTurk
Jan 4, 2003, 09:36 PM

I have an iBook 800. Does it have a line-in jack? Is it the headphone jack?

Thanks,

YoungTurk
PB G4 12" 1.33 ghtz 1.25 RAM/80 HD/AE/SuperDrive, FP iMac 800 (Superdrive), Silver iPod Mini, iBook 600 Combo, PMac G4 733 (Superdrive), Snow iMac 600

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2003, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by YoungTurk:
I have an iBook 800. Does it have a line-in jack? Is it the headphone jack?
No, but you can use an iMic.

I have an audio-in on my TiBook but haven't compared to see if the built-in one or the iMic gives better audio quality yet.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by schep:
You can also probably use this to import copy protected CDs to your mac by pluging in a CD playder instead of a tape player
Actually, not exactly, schep.

The issue is analog vs. digital.

If you copy a CD Audio file by inserting the disc in your Mac, you get a digital copy of the file - essentially identical to the original.

By using line jacks, you get an analog copy of the file which is subject to the variances of CD players, cables, connectors, software, etc.

Admittedly, an analog copy is good enough for most users, especially if planning on converting to MP3 (which throws away some of the audio nuances/quality, anyway)
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules