Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Questions about software for iBook in college

Questions about software for iBook in college
foolintherain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2005, 08:39 PM

Alright, sorry if this post does't belong here, I'm going to college in August and they gave me a list of software and hardware requirements for my computer. They also said that these software requirements were necessary for me to even go on their network, they check each computer personally when you move into the dorm (its a small school). It says I need anti-virus software, thats not a problem, I already have some. My question is that it also says that I need anti-spyware, and I was wondering if that is really necessary for my computer, since spyware really isn't a problem for Macs. Any help would be great.

One more thing, I need to find a good back pack that will hold some of my books and my iBook.

Thanks again!.

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 09:01 PM

Do they allow Macs, in general?

foolintherain  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2005, 09:13 PM

Yes, they do. They have a whole system requirements section just for Macs. I have everything covered except anti-spyware.

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2005, 09:42 PM

I don't even think anti-spyware software exists for OSX, seeing that it would serve no purpose.

foolintherain  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2005, 09:48 PM

Yes there is anti-spyware for Mac, I just wanted to ask if it was really necessary before I buy it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2005, 09:58 PM

Necessary? Not really. But if they require it for PC users (who REALLY DO need it), they probably feel the need to require it for Mac users, too. Go for it-besides, they won't let you on their network if you don't have it, so you really do "need" it, at least in that sense.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules