Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sunlight shining through the Apple on the back of my screen

Sunlight shining through the Apple on the back of my screen
foolintherain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2005, 10:52 AM

My iBook is sitting in front of a window and in the morning the sun shines right onto it and I can actually see the apple through the screen when the sun hits it, when the sun is removed the apple disappeared. I was just wondering if I did anydamage to the screen since I have never seen this before. I plan on moving my computer to keep it out of the sun from now on. Thanks.
14" iBook
1.33 GHz 1.25 GB RAM 60 GB HD Airport Extreme-3G 10GB iPod-1 GB iPod shuffle-Airport Express

Sveen
Sep 3, 2005, 10:59 AM

It is normal to see the Apple through the screen. It is lit by the backlights of the LCD.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 11:08 AM

Your screen can't get damaged from the sun at all.

If fact, if you turn around so that the sun is shining directly on your LED screen, and then turn off your backlight entirely, you'll notice that if you hold your laptop at just the right angle with respect to the sun, thene the sunlight will actually reflect off the backlight lamp and you'll be able to read the screen with a little bit of squinting. It's harder to do this on modern LCD screens, but if you can pull it off you'll get amazing battery life: the backlight consumes a lot of your laptop's power.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

theTechyDork
Sep 3, 2005, 05:48 PM

This happens to mine too. I actually think it looks cool. It can't be damaged.
MacBook White 2GHz 2GB 80GB | iPod 30GB White 5G | Powershot SD700 IS
www.alwaysg5.com - my blog, a female mac & ipod fan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules