Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 70 oC CPU temp! Is that alright?

70 oC CPU temp! Is that alright?
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 05:54 PM

At the moment I am using my iBook and my iMac to rip my DVDs to MP4s for archiving. The iMac is fine, but my iBook seems to (understandably) choke under the task, with an average of 12 FPS, vs the iMacs 30.

Anyway, it really seems to push my iBook to the limit, and using a handy widget, after having a day of ripping DVDs, the laptops CPU is 70 degrees C. Is this OK? I mean the iBook sits on an iCurve, so it has air around it and such, and it DOES have a fan in it to cool it if it gets too hot.... (the fan has been on a few times during the day, however as I write this, with the temp at 70, the fan is not on)

So, are these temps OK to be subjecting my iBook to basically all day.... I mean it IS a computer, it should be able to sort itself out and make sure it doesn't get too hot...

Cheers
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 07:52 PM

For one, the CPU temps can be high inaccurate. Also, since your fan DOES work, I'd be willing to bet that the PMU knows better than the temperature monitor on when you're machine is starting to get too hot.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 09:07 PM

I've seen my iBook go up to 73-74 degrees Celcius (according to iStat Nano) before fans kick on. You should be fine... just make sure you let your iBook relax every so often, to make sure there are no accidental problems.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2006, 01:38 AM

My iBook has gotten up to 71-72 while encoding video. I've only had the fan come on a couple times, both with the temp above 70, while doing video work.

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2006, 07:40 PM

I think I've seen temperatures like that before. You should be fine, as long as the fan is running, and you have ample ventillation.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules