Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Waiting for MacBook hardware revision?

Waiting for MacBook hardware revision?
danengel
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2006, 05:38 PM

I don't like revision A hardware: My 12" G4 iBook was repaired twice, the MacBook Pro whines and is too hot. The MacBook seems pretty fine, but I wonder if I should wait for the second hardware revision. Do they always happen so early as with the MBP (released 01/2006, speed-bumped in 05/2006)?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 06:15 PM

Seeing as we are now with Intel, I would guess that hardware revisions will be quite a bit more frequent, and more significant than a pathetic ~130 mhz speed bump. Saying that, if you said yourself that the MBs seem fine, then why on earth would you wait? Its been out 2 weeks!! Its not like an update is imminent!!! You could just keep going in circles, waiting for the next revision, then the next and so on
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 06:27 PM

I'll always want more speed but honestly. Processor speeds have reached the point that even doubling what is currently out there will not make much of a difference in anything we run with the exception of maybe some rendering jobs or extremely heavy computational games such as simulators.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 06:36 PM

Yeah. Especially coming from your iBook: the speed will be incredible, and there are no real issues with this generation. Some people report whining and heat issues, but they are, for the most part, overly exaggerated. If you want one, buy it. And honestly, what's the difference between 2.0 GHz and 2.16 GHz? Definitely nothing noticeable for the average consumer.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2006, 07:08 PM

The only improvement could come from the use of the GMA 965 though ... but then again if you are not a heavy gamer ...
S k y p a t

danengel  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 01:33 AM

Saying that, if you said yourself that the MBs seem fine, then why on earth would you wait? Its been out 2 weeks!! Its not like an update is imminent!!!
The iBook seemed fine at the beginning too, only after a while many units started failing and had their motherboard replaced.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 04:17 AM

For goodness sake, how many times do we need to go over this - Rev A hardware is barely any more suceptable to problems than any other Rev hardware - just check Apple's history and you will see problems with all sorts of different revisions, not just rev A
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

danengel  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 05:30 AM

From my industry experience (not that much, but I have seen something), rev A hardware always has bugs, which are fixed in rev B, or C.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by danengel
The iBook seemed fine at the beginning too, only after a while many units started failing and had their motherboard replaced.
the iBook G3 700 & 800 had a lot of logicboard problems, but the 500 & 600 G3's had none.
so,.. it's not only the Rev A.

My iBook G3 500 (revA) had no problems, my 12" powerbook 1Ghz (rev B) had a lot.
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 28, 2006, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
For goodness sake, how many times do we need to go over this - Rev A hardware is barely any more suceptable to problems than any other Rev hardware - just check Apple's history and you will see problems with all sorts of different revisions, not just rev A

Seconded…

karelapple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 05:27 PM

I was mulling this over but decided to go ahead because I don't want to wait long enough for a significant revision. I'm glad I picked one up because I am really enjoying it. I'd say if you are ready now and have done all the research you can then go ahead, if you get a bad one it will get replaced if you are assertive enough but more than likely yours will be fine, they are awesome machines.....

force838
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 12:59 AM

my vote would be to go ahead and take the plunge. of course it depends if you really need a new computer or not. if your old laptop is sufficient, then wait. i've had my macbook for a week now and i must say it's a solid, great piece of technology.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2006, 01:30 AM

if you need it now, get it now. if you can hold out, then hold out.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

uicandrew
Senior User
May 29, 2006, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by HazelGirl
if you need it now, get it now. if you can hold out, then hold out.
hold out for what? for example, one of the last revisions of powerbooks have the 2 lines going across the screen. and it isn't something that is noticable only in a silent situation like the whine. it is something that you notice when you look at the screen.

i think people should have an idea of what they are looking for in a product, and when it comes out, get it. make the product fit you, instead of trying to fit the product.

i'm personally waiting for a 15" or smaller widescreen with an 8x burner. saving an extra 15 minutes per dvd burned adds up. until then, my dvd burning will take place on my intel imac, which has an 8x burner.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2006, 02:24 AM

have faith.......im stepping up from a g4 800 ibook, and a g4 powermac dp 450.......the speed increase in the macbook is awesome......i have a duo core 1.8 with 1 gig of ram, this is really really nice......no whine, no moo, cackle, bahhhh, bark, meow, coo, fart, burp or whatever else other people are yelling about......the thing is really nice. it gets a little bit warmer than my ibook, but not enough to bug me, just a noticeble warmth, is the best way to describe it.......

people have too much time on their hands to bitch about this and that.......just get the damn thing.....if you dont like it, return it.......i promise you wont though.

stop reading the stupid spin on the net

tillin
May 30, 2006, 01:08 PM

i most certainly plan on getting one, but the only thing i am waiting for is the unversal version of photoshop. once that comes about then i will get the macbook after i sell my powerbook.

until then, i will stay content with Goliath

glhart
May 30, 2006, 01:19 PM

I got the final revision of the Powerbook 15, and all the models of that revision came a defective screen. After it had been out about 6 months, Apple finally started replacing the screen. The earlier models (with a lower res screen) didn't have that problem. So waiting for the final revision didn't help.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 30, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by hsl
the iBook G3 700 & 800 had a lot of logicboard problems, but the 500 & 600 G3's had none.
so,.. it's not only the Rev A.
The logic board in my G3 600 iBook had to be replaced, a few times actually.

Originally Posted by Skypat
The only improvement could come from the use of the GMA 965 though ...
Agreed. I think the most likely improvement will be the addition of Intel G965 graphics.

Forum Links
Forum Rules