Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How much money will my iBook loose in 2 months?

How much money will my iBook loose in 2 months?
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 09:19 AM

I was planning on selling my iBook in preperation for a new MacBook that I optimistically hoped would be released right around now. After seeing the recent Forbes article saying they will be out in June, just how much money will my iBook loose in 2 months?

At the moment, I estimate I can get around £530 for it on ebay, which I was quite impressed with. Just for reference, its a 1.2 Ghz, 12", 30 gig HD, 512 RAM, AE, and 6 months of Applecare left. Come June, do you think I will get significantly less than £530 for it? Should I sell it now and just go the next 2 months with my iMac...

So many questions...

Anyone got any views on this?

Cheers
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Apr 4, 2006, 09:27 AM

From prices on ebay and such, the prices don't seem to be falling all that much...I'd hang on to it, but thats just me. I posted in another thread for a guy to sell his powerbook because i thought that the prices would fall drastically, but i was wrong. I'm keeping my iBook as a second computer and buying the new ibook/macbook when it is released...

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 09:29 AM

Cool cheers. I can't do what your doing, as my iBook IS my 2nd computer, oh ye, and I kinda blew all my money on my iMac Core Duo! (can't complain though...!)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Apr 4, 2006, 09:34 AM

when the small versions of the macbook and macbook pro hit, i'm buying based on what kind of video power they come with...i dont really want integrated graphics, but if the baby macbook pro has integrated i might as well save some money and get the non-pro

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 10:01 AM

I will be upset if the MacBook has integrated graphics, (and it looks like it will have, seeing as the mini and the iBook have always been basically the same) however I will still buy it, as I don't do games, and if I ever wanted to, I have my iMac with its X1600. Mark my words that if a baby MBP is coming, it will NOT have integrated graphics, for the same reason it is called a MacBook PRO - its meant to be high powered, and intergrated graphics is anything BUT high powered.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 4, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
just how much money will my iBook loose in 2 months?
Well, your computer really shouldn't be releasing any money.

Oh, you meant lose... that I dunno!

tooki

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Well, your computer really shouldn't be releasing any money.

Oh, you meant lose... that I dunno!

tooki
ye, 'cause typo's are hilarious...

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 12:01 AM

Buy your computer and put it on the shelf, never taking it out of the box. How much value will it lose in 2 months?

Alternatively, Buy your computer and have fun, do homework, your taxes, games, etc, etc, etc. How much value will it lose in 2 months? OOPS! that's the wrong question. The question is now "how much value did it have for you?"

If you're not going to use it what's the point of buying it? If you don't want to keep it why buy it in the first place?
bb iBook 300MHz / 278MB / 40GB / OS 10.2.8 / OS 9.2
iBook 700MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
iBook 900MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
PowerPC 604 / 72MB / 3GB / OS 7.5.5

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by RadarBob2
Buy your computer and put it on the shelf, never taking it out of the box. How much value will it lose in 2 months?

Alternatively, Buy your computer and have fun, do homework, your taxes, games, etc, etc, etc. How much value will it lose in 2 months? OOPS! that's the wrong question. The question is now "how much value did it have for you?"

If you're not going to use it what's the point of buying it? If you don't want to keep it why buy it in the first place?
I already have the iBook, and have had it since October. This is what I hate about this forum sometimes... I bought it because I wanted it, and now, 6 months later, I want to sell it - is that so difficult to understand? The point of buying it was so that I could use it - which I have done, and after doing so, I find it too slow for my needs, and so I am ready to buy an Intel one.

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 08:59 PM

Oh, sorry. No dissing intended.

All I can say is that I am very surprised at how much the oldest iBooks are going for on eBay. I emailed one person who has lots of these for sale, this person has regular business scrounging old iBooks then reselling on eBay. She too is pleasantly surprised at the prices they bring.

And I know of one case a couple years ago where a year old iBook sold for as much as a new iBook. It's not up to you to tell bidders how much they should pay, so be optimistic.

Finally, unless you really need the $$ (sorry,don't know how to type the pound symbol) I say keep it. I absolutely love the portability, "too slow" not withstanding.
bb iBook 300MHz / 278MB / 40GB / OS 10.2.8 / OS 9.2
iBook 700MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
iBook 900MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
PowerPC 604 / 72MB / 3GB / OS 7.5.5

rockritic
Apr 12, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
...just how much money will my iBook loose in 2 months?.
It all depends on how much money you give your ibook, and what its spending habits are.

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 03:22 PM

And if you didn't abused it and you treated it like your own little baby, if its clean, not many scratches, then you can get a lot for it, but if its all messed up with many scratches and marks and mars, then don't expect too much for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules