Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Wireless card for Power Mac 9600?

Wireless card for Power Mac 9600?
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 24, 2006, 09:00 PM

My first mac was a Power Macintosh 9600 that I bought when it was new (and very expensive). It's been sitting in storage for years now, but every so often I like to dig it out and see what I can do to upgrade it. Last time I did this I upped the RAM to 320MB and added USB and firewire cards (it actually had one of the first firewire cards out there, but it had since stopped working). All of this was done quite cheaply, especially given what the machine cost when new.

This time I installed OS X using XPostfacto. Believe it or not, the 9600 can handle up to Mac OS 10.2.8 without even upgrading its 604e processor. It's no speed demon, but it's better than you might think. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could even install the latest version of iTunes on it, so this could make a very workable jukebox for my basement. But I really need a network connection for it. At the moment I'm sharing my Powerbook's airport connection to the Power Mac's ethernet port, just to test things out and do updates, but I'd like to get the machine on my network permanently. Is there a cheap PCI wireless card that will work with the 9600? I suppose a USB-based adapter might also be a possibility. Any ideas?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 25, 2006, 01:04 AM

I'd use an ethernet-connected wireless gaming adapter to connect to Wi-Fi through the Ethernet port. Since these do not need drivers, they will work without hassle. PCI and USB Wi-Fi cards tend to have spotty Mac support, if any.

tooki

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 25, 2006, 02:55 PM

I hadn't considered that. Do you know of a cheap one? My main criterion here is price, since I don't want to sink much money into this machine. I'm hoping to get something for less than $30. 802.11b is fine.

Edit: The Linksys WGA11B seems to be going relatively cheaply on eBay.
( Last edited by icruise; Apr 25, 2006 at 03:03 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules